Removing Algae/Seaweed growth

Lawman

Well I'm finally going to pull my boat for a couple of months. What is the best way to get rid of the algae and seaweed growth that has attached to my hull etc over the summer. I've heard of water/bleach mixture spray and then powerwash. Will this hurt the glass?

No just rinse really good just did mine last weekend... WOW lots of mussels on my leg of the boat nuked with bleach (in a garden sprayer)along with the algea then all came off with the garden hose..

Good luck Wolf

We used to use cheap bleach staight up and a garden sprayer.. Let it sit for a couple mins and then blast it all off with water.

Lawman, bleach does work good, (plus it is cheap). Just use caution with pressure/power washers, not too close with nozzle so you don't cut into the gel coat, not any different than washing a car with power washer. Also do be careful with power washer around fittings and attachments so as not to damage any caulking/boots etc... I know that this should be common sense, but it is easier to be careful than it is to do repairs. ;)
Your fuel economy will rise once she's all cleaned up for sure. :)

Back