Relocating to Duncan-ish or northward

cracked_ribs

After years of trying to convince my employers that I would serve them better on the island, it appears to have finally happened. This is largely the result of committing to buy a set of swim steps which were over there, and which were then brought here by a helpful third party, thus making it no more convenient for me to get the job than not...this is exactly the same principle as the weekend windstorm, which is guaranteed to occur in all circumstances unless your boat is unavailable, in which case both days will be beautiful and the springs will be running and biting on everything. Literally an hour after I found out someone had brought the swim steps over, I got a call asking if I could move to the island right away.

Anyway I negotiated the timing back a little but starting in March I'll need to rent a place within 20 or 30 minutes of Duncan, preferably towards Ladysmith where my wife is likely to end up working. I would think at least six months to get her job relocated, and then I have to sell the condo/boat factory here, so possibly a year. Before that I have to keep paying the Vancouver mortgage so the cheaper I can rent the better...but I also don't want to spend half my time on Used Nanaimo trying to buy back all the stuff that gets stolen out of my sketchy rental place.

So if anyone has tips on where to look or where to avoid in the Duncan-Ladysmith corridor, I would be interested to hear it. Or if anyone wants to hear funny stories about the emotional havoc inflicted on your life by constantly interviewing for jobs within your own organization, I could also do that. Or the near misses, like when I got hired by a Nanaimo department, and there was a going away party and everything, but it turned out that the high-up guy who had to sign off on the transfer had forgotten about it, and then when he discovered his mistake he'd missed the deadline for fiscal year end by one day, and then the entire hiring program was shut down for a year and all pending transfers were cancelled.

(Although I have to say despite all of the curve balls I really got lucky - the department I'm going to is actually a huge step up from my perspective and if I'd landed one of the previous bites I doubt I'd be going where I am so honestly I'm not bothered by the long road to get here, just happy it's taking me somewhere I want to go.)

Anyway Duncan to Ladysmith: your thoughts on rentals, buys, boat storage, places to live or places to avoid?

Think I’d head more towards Ladysmith, I’ve heard nice feedback from people living there. Seems like the fishing is a little more consistent polier to Nanaimo as opposed to south area around Duncan.

Ladysmith area is good. We lived here for 10 years and would like to buy in That area again. Although we have widened our search area a bit over the last year or so. There are some nice areas in Maple Bay as well as east of Duncan towards lake Cowichan depending if you are ok with not right in town. Good luck!

I'd be looking at Chemainus.
Nice little community only 10 mins from Duncan.
there's also a little marina and a public boat launch.
(Kinsmen Beach Park)

If you don't want to live in Duncan proper I would look at Croften, Chemainus, and Ladysmith . There are nice ocean views to to be had from all three places, fishing is not bad, and they all have launches. I have used the Croften and Chemainus ramps and prefer the one in Croften because it has two ramps with docks and enough water to launch on any tide.

Chemainus ....... Saltair ....if ya can find a place , great people and they all look out for each other !

I've lived in them all,and like ladysmith the best.Good launch,gas bar on the road to launch with easy access.I can also quad right from my house to the backcountry.

If I'm not mistaken, Cracked Ribs has a place on De Courcy already. He is likely familiar with all the local fishing spots. I would be in agreement with pretty much everything already posted. Personally I would avoid the Duncan area and start looking anywhere north of there.

If I'm not mistaken, Cracked Ribs has a place on De Courcy already. He is likely familiar with all the local fishing spots. I would be in agreement with pretty mutch everything already posted. Personally I would avoid the Duncan area and start looking anywhere north of there.
Drunkan gets a bad rap like Nanaimo, There are some really nice areas, and some you want to stay away from. But for ease of and access to fishing, the northern communities have lots to offer. Maple Bay would add quite a bit of time to the commute, and the ramp at Cow Bay is only accessible to about a five foot tide, and then you have to do a lot of winching. If you plan to moor your boat, then there are more options for sure, but the fishing out of Cow Bay isn't what it used to be.
As for access to wilderness activities, they are all bout the same in my opinion.

I live in Nanaimo. If I understand it you would like a 20 to 30 min commute to Duncan... I too would recommend Ladysmith or Saltaire area. Great access to fishing both Porlier and Thrasher Rock. Housing is very reasonable and there is grocery shopping, etc. at the south end of Ladysmith.

Thanks everyone, I will definitely be considering all of this carefully while I search for a short-term place for March 1. I expect to spend the weekends in February driving around the area and checking out your suggestions.

The only post I will take issue with is the one which implies I know the local fishing spots. Please assume I know nothing and send me GPS numbers for all the best places. Even the secret ones. God will know if you leave something out.

Seriously though, although I do have a place close by what I don't know is the local ramp situations or the smaller bays etc closer to Vancouver Island. I run across the strait so I usually hit Porlier or Thrasher but honestly I don't consider myself an expert even on those spots. Feel free to give advice, chances are you spend more time fishing the area than I have...

...UNTIL MARCH

Please assume I know nothing and send me GPS numbers for all the best places. Even the secret ones. God will know if you leave something out.

No worries, and hang on.... I'll get the gps co-ords for my favourite crabbing spots also, be right back... ;) :rolleyes: o_O
uh-huh
Good luck in the move

Back