Reid Replies For Minister

IronNoggin

Form letter ********. Does not even attempt to address the questions I had posed. I will be writing both the Minister and this ditz again shortly...

Thank you for your correspondence regarding Chinook conservation measures for 2019. I have been asked to respond on behalf of the Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard.

It is a difficult time for coastal communities that rely on the fishing industry, and I acknowledge concerns regarding the economic and social impacts resulting from the reduced fishing opportunities for salmon. I have provided a broad overview of the background on Chinook fisheries management and related topics.

British Columbians have an enduring connection with Pacific salmon, which holds tremendous value for natural ecosystems, cultural and spiritual practices, jobs and income, and recreational enjoyment along the coast and inland watersheds of the Pacific Region. Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) is very concerned about the health of fish and our oceans.

Fraser River Chinook salmon in particular have experienced a dramatic decline in recent years. In November 2018, the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) assessed seven Fraser River Chinook salmon populations as endangered, four as threatened, and one as a special concern. This assessment has implications for these stocks and for Southern Resident Killer Whales (SRKW), which are listed as endangered under the Species at Risk Act (SARA) and which depend on Chinook salmon as their preferred prey.

DFO is guided by a strong framework of conservation policies including Canada’s Policy for Conservation of Wild Pacific Salmon (Wild Salmon Policy), the Sustainable Fisheries Framework and a Fishery Decision-Making Framework Incorporating the Precautionary Approach. These important policies support the conservation and sustainable use of Canadian fisheries through monitoring and assessment, and they ensure that management relies on evidence-based and precautionary decision making.

The Department, along with others, urgently needs to address these declines and changes to marine life, freshwater habitat, and ecosystems that are affecting salmon and the communities that rely on them. Last year, new management measures were introduced to reduce fishery mortalities on Chinook populations of conservation concern in British Columbia (including Skeena, Nass, and Fraser River origin Chinook salmon) by 25 to 35 percent to limit pressure on these stocks. However, preliminary data indicates that the target reductions in 2018 were not achieved and Fraser River Chinook salmon in particular continued to decline. Despite DFO’s efforts, a broad pattern of decline has affected many Chinook salmon populations in southern BC, and these populations require bold action to prevent extinction.

Therefore, DFO introduced new management measures for Fraser River Chinook salmon in 2019. These measures build on the actions taken last year, introducing new constraints across all fisheries encountering Chinook. The 2019 goal is designed to allow as many endangered and threatened Fraser River Chinook salmon stocks to reach the spawning grounds as possible. Management actions seek to minimize fishery mortalities in commercial, recreational, and First Nations fisheries where these Chinook are encountered.

In all fisheries management decisions, conservation is the first and fundamental priority, followed by respect for Indigenous peoples’ constitutionally protected priority for food, social, and ceremonial (FSC) fisheries. DFO then considers allocation priorities and provides sustainable fisheries where possible.

First Nations are contending with new reductions to FSC fisheries as part of these actions. To support conservation outcomes, communal fisheries will not commence until July 15, 2019. Prior to July 15—consistent with the Government’s constitutional obligations to First Nations—DFO will provide First Nations with ceremonial access opportunities (e.g. funerals or first fish ceremonies) to harvest very limited numbers of Chinook.

The Department recognises the significance of Chinook to the recreational fishery and the role played by the recreational fishery as a source of food, income, and employment in many communities. A continued decline in Fraser River Chinook would harm species that depend on the survival of Chinook salmon, such as SRKW. A continued decline would also permanently affect the culture, heritage, and livelihoods of Indigenous communities and permanently eliminate many more jobs in the recreational and commercial fishing industries.

The Department sought input from, and carefully considered advice and recommendations provided by, Indigenous peoples and all stakeholders, including commercial and recreational harvesters, environmental organizations, and the public. Advice gathered from consultations led DFO to modify the original fishery proposals.

Fishery Notice 0377 contains details on 2019 Commercial, Recreational and Aboriginal Fraser River Chinook Conservation Measures and coast-wide recreational annual limits for Chinook salmon in tidal waters.

DFO Pacific Region Conservation and Protection comprises 180 fishery officer positions. Fishery officers conduct patrols by land, air, and water, in uniform or plain clothes, to monitor compliance of the Fisheries Act and regulations.

Regarding Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licences (TWSFLs), DFO does not issue refunds for the cost of annual TWSFLs or Salmon Conservation Stamps. TWSFLs provide access and opportunity to harvest fish other than Chinook salmon. As you may know, all revenues from the Salmon Conservation Stamp go to the Pacific Salmon Foundation to support projects that improve Pacific salmon habitat. For one-, three-, and five-day TWSFLs, requests for refunds may be directed to the Pacific Fishery Licensing Unit at < Fishing-Peche.XNAT@dfo-mpo.gc.ca >. DFO will review requests on a case-by-case basis.

The Department does not provide compensation to recreational salmon licence holders or to businesses potentially affected by reductions in fisheries opportunities. Stock levels fluctuate every year, and fisheries closures for conservation are a regular occurrence and necessary for responsible management of the fisheries.

Fishery management measures alone will not restore salmon. The Department continues to work on a number of fronts to protect wild salmon, including rebuilding measures and habitat restoration. DFO’s Protecting Canada’s wild salmon website provides information on the Government’s work on the Wild Salmon Policy and its Implementation Plan; the International Year of the Salmon, SARA: Pacific salmon; and the Salmonid Enhancement Program. The website also provides links to information on habitat restoration and the British Columbia Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund, a collaborative initiative with the Province of BC.

In addition, to support salmon recovery, the Department is undertaking more science work, including research regarding climate change, as detailed on the Scientific research and Pacific salmon website.

Understanding what is happening to our stocks and to our freshwater and marine environments is the key to ensuring that salmon and their habitats are managed sustainably. The Department’s work includes documenting assessment methods, improving databases, and better understanding a range of threats including habitat and water use impacts, disease, climate change, predator impacts, and other issues, and exploring mitigation options.

DFO recognizes the importance of Pacific salmon and salmon habitats from multiple perspectives—environmental, economic, and sociocultural. Given the complex life cycles of wild salmon, combined with the multiple jurisdictions and regulatory frameworks implicated, it is critical that all affected sectors and governments continue to work together on a holistic approach to salmon conservation. I am confident that by working together to conserve salmon, we will secure a brighter future for wild Pacific salmon in British Columbia.

The road to recovery requires a long-term view and collaboration of all interested parties. To this end, DFO will be engaging with First Nations and stakeholders, including the Province of British Columbia and commercial and recreational harvesters, to explore establishing a process to address a broad range of issues impacting Chinook stocks. I expect that this process will address issues including conservation, land and water use, fish habitat, role of hatcheries to support rebuilding and potential for marking selective fisheries, and impacts of seals and sea lions on Chinook salmon, among others. I sincerely hope this process will play a vital role in determining how best to steward the resource moving forward.

I understand this is a challenging situation. Our immediate priority is conservation of Fraser River Chinook salmon and supporting their long-term recovery. Thank you for writing.

Yours sincerely,

Rebecca Reid
Regional Director General
Pacific Region

Yeah, I got the exact same reply. Really torn up about this because the Cons cut and cut and cut funding for hatcheries, enforcement and habitat restoration, and enforcement as well.
I'm not sure that a new con government would do better. But then there is our virtue signalling PM, who has apparently no grasp of the issue, and a fisheries minister who is perfectly happy to kill thousands of jobs, despite DFO's own science indicating that the rec fishery had little impact on upper Fraser stocks.

Ms. Reid - DFO RDG Pacific Region:

Nice Form Letter Ms. Reid. However you did not address any of the topics or concerns outlined in my letter to the minister. From that I guess it is safe to infer that no-one read the letter I sent, and that you were simply directed to answer a set of email addresses who had submitted their own letters. The fact you chose to do so via a one-size-fits-all generic form letter says a lot about the level of concern this matter has within the Department.

You suggest that "The Department sought input from, and carefully considered advice and recommendations provided by, Indigenous peoples and all stakeholders, including commercial and recreational harvesters, environmental organizations, and the public. Advice gathered from consultations led DFO to modify the original fishery proposals." There was no real consultation in this matter. Your department knew prior to engaging with anyone the direction they were going to take. DNA evidence from Area G Troll well indicates their May fishery impacts less than 1 % Canadian Origin stocks. I know this as fact, as I was the one who took a large number of these samples and trained others to do the same. Yet that information was tossed aside. Several recreational fishing areas can and did indicate much the same. Again, that information was tossed aside. In effect, the Department did NOT base its' actions on science, but rather on politics. It is quite widely understood that you callously did so to cater to the demands of Fraser First Nations, in effect, paying their demanded blackmail at a grievous cost to anyone and everyone else.

The effects these decisions have had are immense. Many shops are closing their doors. Restaurants, tackle shops, hotels, airlines and more are suffering directly due to your Department's incompetent handling of this matter. The impacts will be felt for years, and is a serious blow to the province's tourism industry. While guides and the fishing public have taken a large hit over this, perhaps the largest is being felt by the commercial troll sector. A sector which has worked diligently with the Department to avoid the stocks in question, and have well proven they do so. Your Department holds 17 million US which was earmarked as to "offset the hardships incurred when Area G Fishers are kept off the water." Yet you refuse to even consider expending any of it as it was explicitly designed to be? Shameful.

At this point, and contrary to your assertion that FN's will be held in check until 15 July, your Department has let no less than 19 openings specifically for FN's in the Fraser - targeting the most endangered runs of Chinook the Fraser has. Several of these were five days to a week in duration. And for most of those openings, the Department provided NO monitoring of those fisheries. Please to not try this smoke & mirrors tactic again. We all see right through it at this point.

In the WCVI area Area G was forced off of for April and May by Wilkinson's imposition of restrictions, a full fleet of FN trollers are working today. While you suggested the Area G restriction was due to "conservation concerns" it is downright flabbergasting those concerns literally vanished when the consideration came to the FN fishery in the exact same waters.

The final blow came yesterday, when Liberal MP's shut down the proposed study into the impacts your closures have imposed upon BC. I would hazard a guess this will cause them the loss of valuable seats in BC this October, and consider that just under these circumstances. My only regret in this matter is that you yourself, and other senior bureaucrats cannot also be held to the same level of account.

Simply shutting down fisheries will not have the desired effect of increasing endangered Fraser Chinook populations. There MUST be a dedicated program oriented towards predator reductions (seal & sea lion populations are out of control), habitat enhancements, and directed population enhancement programs. Without these, there is no point in the former. Yet your Department has not addressed any of these outstanding concerns to date beyond simply suggesting more studies. Do you ever plan on enacting such programs, or is the Department content to simply do the "easy thing" and continue shutting any but their preferred sector down?

In closing, you and your Department have made a large mistake in BC. That will help this country get shed of those politically responsible, mark my words. In the meantime, you might want to suggest to your boss that he wrap his mind around finding some way to offset the damage he has done to this province. FAR too many lives, families and entire Communities have been simply tossed aside as if they do not matter. As we all understand, had this occurred on the East Coast, reparations would have been swift and generous. The time to end the open discrimination against the west coast is now. I strongly suggest you get on with it.

Regards,

Excellent reply Nog. Well done! That needs to get in front of the general public who have been treated like mushrooms.... and we know how the rest of that story goes....

Back