Regulations Unclear Regarding Chinook Retention

outbeen

Has anyone heard directly from DFO when the closures take effect?

There have been no official fishery notices. I have seen some vague diagrams and a press release that referred to dates 2 weeks in the past.

This seems really sloppy to me. Has anyone heard whats going on inside DFO, or otherwise able to clarify when the regulations take effect?

That's crystal clear ...non retention
As of April 1 st 2019...period

this is what is currently posted under regulations for 19/20
and it does not jive with the changes

Restrictions
Always check for protected areas.

Species Areas Measure Type Measure Value
Salmon Coastwide Daily Limit Pieces 4 - The daily limit for all species of Pacific salmon from tidal and fresh waters combined is 4. Individual species limits also apply.

Chinook Salmon Coastwide Reminder Keeping your chinook salmon? You must record (in ink) all retained catch on your Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence.

Coastwide Reminder Chinook Salmon Annual Aggregate Counts - The total annual limit for chinook is 30 from any tidal waters, of which at most: - 10 may be caught in the tidal waters of the Fraser River; - 15 may be caught in the waters of Areas 12 to 18, 28 and 29 and that portion of Area 19 north of Cadboro Point; - 20 may be caught in portions of Area 20 (20-5 to 20-7) and that portion of Area 19 (19-1 to 19-4) south of Cadboro Point.

Chinook Salmon (Wild) 19-1 to 19-4 Maximum Size (cm) 67 cm

Coho Salmon (Hatchery) Coastwide Reminder Hatchery coho (marked): Coho salmon with a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

2019-04-17 14:30:06

this is what is currently posted under regulations for 19/20
and it does not jive with the changes

Restrictions
Always check for protected areas.

Species Areas Measure Type Measure Value
Salmon Coastwide Daily Limit Pieces 4 - The daily limit for all species of Pacific salmon from tidal and fresh waters combined is 4. Individual species limits also apply.

Chinook Salmon Coastwide Reminder Keeping your chinook salmon? You must record (in ink) all retained catch on your Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence.

Coastwide Reminder Chinook Salmon Annual Aggregate Counts - The total annual limit for chinook is 30 from any tidal waters, of which at most: - 10 may be caught in the tidal waters of the Fraser River; - 15 may be caught in the waters of Areas 12 to 18, 28 and 29 and that portion of Area 19 north of Cadboro Point; - 20 may be caught in portions of Area 20 (20-5 to 20-7) and that portion of Area 19 (19-1 to 19-4) south of Cadboro Point.

Chinook Salmon (Wild) 19-1 to 19-4 Maximum Size (cm) 67 cm

Coho Salmon (Hatchery) Coastwide Reminder Hatchery coho (marked): Coho salmon with a healed scar in place of the adipose fin.

2019-04-17 14:30:06

Smoke em' while you got em'!!!

It is not posted on Fisheries Notice section of DFO's website. Still open to Chinook retention as of 9:50pm Wednesday. I hope the webmaster is on a week-long vacation and we still get to fish on the long weekend.

This is NOT a fisheries notice, it Is a press release. Several members on here posted they spoke by phone with dfo and they said until they put out a fisheries notice the regs are the same.

Non-retention of Chinook in the Strait Juan de Fuca and Southern Strait of Georgia until July 31; retention of one (1) Chinook per person per day as of August 1until December 31.
· West Coast Vancouver Island offshore areas will have non-retention of Chinook until July 14 followed by a limit of two (2) Chinook per day from July 15 to December 31. West Coast Vancouver Island inshore waters will remain at two (2) Chinook per day for the season once at-risk Chinook stocks have passed through, to support the long term viability of the salmon and of the recreational fishery.

My question is in regards to this line...... WCVI inshore waters will remain at two (2) per day for the season ONCE (emphasis added on my part) at-risk Chinook stocks have passed through, to support the long term viability of the salmon and of the recreational fishery .

What does this mean? Are inshore waters of Bamfield affected? When would it ACTUALLY be open for 2 per day ? I'm confused !

Unless the feds are working through a long weekend, maybe we''ll see the announcement Tuesday.

Last edited:
I would say if it is posted on the DFO site, it's now the law. I thought the notification was pretty clear.

Now In regaining to wonder you seem so knowledgeable about other topics I would thought you know how the system works. Its not LAW till the veryation orders are published here https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=search_results&ID=all&Year=2019

Until then go out and fish and enjoy, hopefully the notices wont get published today and will get the long weekend to fish.

I called fisheries and talked to an actual person regarding when these new regulations take effect. At the time of our conversation 3:30 Thurs. she told me it is a news release at this moment but they are expecting to make the official post before midnight tonight.

I called fisheries and talked to an actual person regarding when these new regulations take effect. At the time of our conversation 3:30 Thurs. she told me it is a news release at this moment but they are expecting to make the official post before midnight tonight.

Midnight tonight? What DFO employee is pressing the button at midnight?
More bs from Ottawa.

Back