Reeltime Smoked Salmon Recipe and Process on YouTube

Discussion in 'Recipes, Storage and Preparation of Seafood' started by Reeltime, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Reeltime

Reeltime Well-Known Member

Been at this recipe for a long time like to share it with everyone as it's smoker time soon

CIVANO, SSwilson92, ILHG and 3 others like this.
  2. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Ready for drying. That's a 16"x24" rack. Two whole hogs.

Resized_20190812_144822.jpeg

3. wishiniwasfishin1

wishiniwasfishin1 Well-Known Member

You need another tray.... Spread those morsels out!

Rain City likes this.
  4. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Just transferring them to the smoker racks now. Had to get them out of the brine so just did what I could. :)

wishiniwasfishin1 likes this.
  5. ILHG

ILHG Crew Member

Let us know how they turn out. They look so good.....

Rain City likes this.
  6. CIVANO

CIVANO Well-Known Member

so did I see you taking the strip with the pin bones and cutting it up to put in the smoker? If so I assume you keep it in an area where is is recognizable

7. wishiniwasfishin1

wishiniwasfishin1 Well-Known Member

Lets see your pellicule...

Rain City and ILHG like this.
  8. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Hold your horses. The pellicle takes tiiiime.

No I think he discarded that strip.

9. Reeltime

you beat me to it, that looks awesome, starting a batch this weekend

I keep it for fish and prawn stock for a delicious risotto

Rain City likes this.
  10. Rain City

Rain City Crew Member

Resized_20190813_192950.jpeg
    I can't do any more than 4 hours on the smoker. I start at 90 and bring it up to 160 over the 4 hours. I already feel like the thinner edges are drying out. I want it moist inside. What do you guys do?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  11. fish brain

fish brain Crew Member

I rarely smoke more than four hours as I like a really moist smoked salmon. Taste it, if you like it vac pack it and freeze it.

Rain City likes this.
  12. Tsquared

Tsquared Well-Known Member

Great video, Reeltime! I’ve got a batch of hot smoked Chinook strips coming out of the brine this AM. I cut thinner, uniform strips about 4 “ long. I use a wet brine( 1 jug of teriyaki, 4 L of water, 2 lbs of brown sugar and 1 cup of salt with 5 big garlic cloves minced and 2 T of cayenne.) I leave the strips in for 12 hours but don’t rinse them off when I pull them. Once on my Bradley smoker racks, I put a fan on them to speed up the pellicle formation. When the strips are tacky but not quite dry, I sprinkle on cracked pepper, fresh chopped rosemary and crushed dried juniper berries. The tackiness helps the spices stick. When ready, I put the strips in the Bradley and start with low temps, gradually increasing to a max of 140. I only roll the smoke for an hour or so because the thinner strips can easily be overwhelmed with the smoke. I do use a version of your dry cure when I’m doing a batch of cold smoked. BTW-I use the same wetbrine recipe described above for pink or coho fillets that come out of the smoker and then get stuffed into pressure jars for canning.

13. Reeltime

Nice colour those nuggets looks so tasty ... i go by feel and look , i've done 4 hour smokes when doing it during the day when it's warm out, cooks quicker, i try and smoke at night when temps
    are cooler for a bit slower smokes.

i just pull it as it's ready, just don't pull it to early on the fast cooks as the inside moisture will be to high, done the
    plug and unplug thing to keep it from cooking to fast lol always playing around...i'll air dry them in the fridge to firm up
    a bit.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  14. Reeltime

Thanks! very nice , i've started to cut my smoke down also looking for the cleaner flavour, like you said overwhelming smoke flavour
    after eat it for so many years the smoke seems to get more intense and sharp, down to one or half a pan, major flavour already
    in a seasoned smoker

15. SSwilson92

SSwilson92 Active Member

Awesome video! Do you glaze your fish at all throughout the smoking process?

Reeltime likes this.
  16. Reeltime

No glazing, just straight up smoke and let natural oils glaze itself.

SSwilson92 likes this.
  17. Reeltime

Just finished a first hot smoke batch, caught and brined the same day... lots of great oils keeping it so moist, these local fish are so
    nice as there brown fat is so thin.
    12F929E5-314F-438A-B03F-B178DBB9E799.JPG
    798D40FA-1489-4BA9-9D04-CD7705FE2643 copy.JPG 5AF36427-79D6-4B00-BACA-2A95BED2A146.JPG E5B7E46D-579E-4500-829B-12DB0D0C1E35.JPG

Rain City and ILHG like this.