Redfinn boats - also pilothouse vs walkaround

Peahead

http://www.redfinnboats.com/8fm.html

I really like the style of these boats including the similar SeaSport, Osprey and Skagit Orca. For west coast use I really think all these Pilothouse style boats from 22-26' make more sense as compared to the typical sportfisher/walkaround we see out in BC (eg. Grady Gulfstream, Seawirl Striper, ) So much more dry/warm cabin space plus plenty of deck. True you can find a million sportfisher/walkarounds in the southern states for great deals but there is a reason open walkarounds' are popular in the warmer dryer climates....right?
Anybody want to compare the two styles if you have owned both ? What do you prefer and why ?

Here are two photos of a 24 SeaSport running at speed and one of a 22' SeaSport moored at my marina. The builder is in Bellingham. Love these boats. As I said above, like the Osprey and Skagit Orca, they seem more suited to our west coast weather than a 'walkaround' of similar size so not sure why walkarounds are so popular on the west coast ( except that they look great) . Even the 22' SeaSport has good size cozy cabin space and spacious stern deck for fighting fish. Great overnight fishing boat! A 22' walkaround has virtually no cabin space.
seasport.jpg

seasport2.jpg

SeaSport22.jpg

Only thing I don't like with the above mentioned is they tend to roll a bit in the rough stuff. Next time u walk by one at you marina step on the side and see how much they move, I was a bit surprised:(

Pass the Pack

I'm running a 24 xlc skagit Orca with a pod and a 225 4 stroke Yammi. I sleep on it for 3 nights at a time-It handles well and is warm and dry. It does roll a bit if it is not under power due to the very pronounced deep V however it is incrediably stable when under even kicker power and we are able to troll when most guys have gone home. We sleep on the hook and it is pleasent to have a few brewski's on a wet evening looking out the windows in comfort. This is the boats 8th fishing season 90% of which is out of Winter Harbour and it hasn't come up short yet. The other thing is that it is reasonably economical considering its size and I have the smallest gas tank they put in-522 litres which gives it great range with no Jerry cans.

in regards to stability, you cant have the best of both worlds in a monohull, aka a stable boat at low speed and a smooth ride running. At speed you need a deep v to cut the water, where as at low speeds/drifting you need a wide lesser V for the stablity - modified deep v hulls try to take the average of these two designs, but you also loose the best of each.

One thing becoming very popular, although still somewhat untapped in BC, is catamarans. Ive ridden on one and was blown away at the ride, they say once you go cat you'll never go back - and i believe them! World cat and glacier bay are the two big guys for that.

img3937n.jpg

The 24 orca is one of the best west coast boat you will find cuts the big water like butter and is quite stable while fishing.

Here is a pic of mine -- 26' Striper Sport Cabin. They only made them for a few years. Nice and dry interior with a small galley, dining table, head and sleeping for 3 big dudes or a family of 4.
DSCF0962.JPG

This boat rides well as it's heavy (8500-9000lbs loaded). It only has an 8' beam so can be trailered, however the narrow beam coupled with the weight up top will cause it to roll when trolling. As others have mentioned, at high speed its just fine. Does pound in larger swells.

Striper also made a 29' Pilothouse (not the Alaska top, an actual door). Here is a pic of mine beside one at Saltspring. The one pictured had twin diesels and as you can see rides very low in the arse. They make both models with outboards as well which gains a ton of room on the deck:
IMG_2126.JPG

I absolutely love the OceanSport boats. Very similar design to the SeaSport, however they are setup a little better for both fishing and weekending. http://www.yachtworld.com/leaving_yw.cgi?url=http://virtual-tours.com/vt/ma736/

TenMile
<'((((><

I completely agree. There are tons of nice walk arounds but nothing catches my eye like a nice pilot house. Just cant get a better looking boat in my opinion. I have ridden in a few 24/26 ft skagits and they fished comfortably with 6 guys.

all very nice boats,

I have noticed a few things about the Osprey that I am enjoying more and more. The vis from the rear deck is amazing, no stepping down into the cabin with a level deck right through the cabin. 4 huge fishboxes, two are coolers. Monster deck.

As far as roll with 22.5 deadrise, not to bad as Osprey put a flat keel in just aft midship to the transom. It's flat about 8 inches at the stern and gradually tapers off half way to the bow. Stops a fair bit of the roll that is typical of 22.5 deg hulls. It does not hinder the ride in the slop.

2005 and older Osprey's have 2" off hand laid glass below the waterline with Bertram inspired stringer grids. late 2005 and up, Seasport allegedly took over and removed a pile of glass out, making them lighter in the bow, still good boats just diffrent ride quality.

The pilothouse with the ability to walk around is ideal for our climate, again, all have there own layout qualitys to fit individual preferance and needs. SUre i s nice to get out of the weather and turn the heat on.

www.tailspincharters.com

These two styles aren't really in the same price range (I'm not talking a brand new Grady). I would guess the reason there are so many walk arounds is price. As you say Peahead, there a lots to be had down south. If prices were the same between the two, I would take a Seasport/Osprey/Skagit everytime.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

I looked real hard at a few Skagit Orca 24's when I was in the market and really fell in love with them. Beautiful boats but I just couldn't bring myself to fork over that much $$$. Maybe if I score on the lottery this weekend...... :D

A question for you pilot house owners - how hot does it get under all that glass on a bright, sunny summer day?

Clipper we were in a skagit during that heat wave last summer in port alberni.It was high 30s when we were out and the cabin was what made it bearable. Keeps pretty cool and gets you out of the sun. Just pop a few windows to get a breeze.

I am starting to understand that while many fisher's love the skagits, ospreys, SeasSports, Oceansports and other 'pilothouse' makes ( including myself) its the higher cost for them that could be the main deterant. I guess with a closed in fiberglass cabin they will cost more ....and weigh more than the average walkaround with bimini so likely needing more power which means more $$$ .

If I had the money though, personally I think they are worth the extra $$

The reason the Skagits stay cool in summer or warm at night is that the cabin walls are quite thick and are insulated. You can hold a dance on the roof if you want-there is no give. my 24 xlc is powered by a 225 Yammi-would I like more power-sometimes when I have 3 guys- 3 commercial crab traps, 12 commercial prawn traps and rope-full gas tank (522 ltres)and 100lbs of ice I wish I had 2 150's or a bigger single. We soon get rid of all the traps prior to fishing and at that point she becomes a lady again -capable of 36mph or a nice cruise of 25 mph making her economical-especially when you consider we pay no hotel or lodging charges. Guess you have to look at the whole package when considering economics.

I read this thread and we have a number of Ospreys in the UK but not very many Seasport or indeed no Skagit Orca boats. The Redfinn 8FM is a match for the BAMF 25' boat from Alaska and is an amazing boat but price is very high.

Bass Fishing in Europe

Back