RECREATIONAL - Salmon- Coho and Chum - Region 1 - Cowichan River

Derby

Crew Member
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Subject: FN1162-RECREATIONAL - Salmon- Coho and Chum - Region 1 - Cowichan River - Daily limit update
Effective November 1, 2017 until December 31, 2017 the daily limit of coho
salmon is one (1) per day, and the daily limit of chum salmon is two (2) per
day in the Cowichan River downstream from the Mile 66 Trestle Bridge to the
Highway Number 1 Bridge (Silver Bridge). This is the typical boundary for this
opening.
Variation order number: 2017-581
Notes:
Barbless hooks are required when fishing for salmon in tidal waters of British
Columbia.
The term "marked" means a hatchery fish that has a healed scar in place of the
adipose fin.
Sport anglers are encouraged to participate in the Salmon Sport Head Recovery
program by labelling and submitting heads from adipose fin-clipped chinook and
coho salmon. Recovery of coded-wire tags provides critical information for
coast-wide stock assessment. Contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program
toll free at (866) 483-9994 for further information.
Anglers are advised to check
http://bcsportfishguide.ca for fishing closures and other recreational fishing
information.
Tidal Water Sport Fishing Licences can be purchased via any computer connected
to the internet at
https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/nrls-sndpp/index-eng.cfm
or by using Google search key words “Recfish Licence”.
Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.
For the 24 hour recorded opening and closure line, call toll free at
1-(866)431-FISH(3474).
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact the Fisheries and Oceans Canada in your area for more information or
visit our website at
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html
Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN1162
Sent October 31, 2017 at 16:06
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription
If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

2 references to 'tidal water' in there^^ which is odd seeing as you would need a 'non tidal water' license (with the salmon tag) to fish the Cowichan....

I am surprised they have opened up a Coho retention. I have been trout fishing the upper for a few weeks since the levels have came up and lots of spring salmon moved in, I understand there was a good spring return and it shows.

That being said the river is still low there are areas that are dry that usually have fish spawning this time of year in all my travels (probably 7 days on the river in the last 2 weeks) I have seen very few coho. I would like to understand the thought process and science that decides an opening like this. By comparison two years ago when we only had a jack retention there were much more fish in the river from what I saw and experienced on the water

spring run return this year is some where including Jacks and adults 11 to 15,000 fish.... :) The river is usually open Nov 15.. get out cast and enjoy the opportunity that is present :)

Hit the flow this morning from 8:00 AM till 12:00.A ton of chums and lots of fresh fish moving up but only a few biters.Was hoping for a lights out day but not.Took one coho home around 12 lbs. and was the only coho bite all day.River needs some rain to
bring some better numbers of coho up I think.

Still slow fishing on the Cowie.Put in a 5 hr shift at the favourite hole today without even a bite.Lots of half dead zombie chum with only a few fresh ones showing.Must be a commercial opening in the bay because the run has sure tapered off!

Fishing has tapered off a bit for sure we had some success through the weekend especially sunday but I also had time on Monday and only landed one fish, also a lot less fish showing. River needs rain Hopefully get some amount over the next few days.

Managed one nice, clean coho about 8 lbs. today on a Marabou Twitching Jig I tied.My buddy also picked up a 12 lb. chromer a little while later.Seen a few jumping as well so this change in the weather must be getting them moving.Gonna give it another go tomorrow early.

Managed one nice, clean coho about 8 lbs. today on a Marabou Twitching Jig I tied.My buddy also picked up a 12 lb. chromer a little while later.Seen a few jumping as well so this change in the weather must be getting them moving.Gonna give it another go tomorrow early.

Hi FnF,

I figured you would be providing some Cowichan updates. I've been up three times from Victoria and, so far, haven't had any luck with coho. On one trip I had a couple of already-coloured coho that spit the hook, a few ugly chum (at least half of them foul-hooked) and one Spring that frikkin' near wore me out in a half-hour battle that finally ended when it made one last run and broke me off. (I was glad to see it go, apart from the fact that it was dragging so much line; I just wish it would have broken off clean.) I was up again on Thursday, but didn't have any luck apart from hooking a few chum. That trip didn't end well, so I'm not sure whether I'll be giving it another try -- but I might tie a couple of twitching jigs and give those a try if I do head up there again. I've never used them, but my spinners and crocs haven't been working and I know you do well with the jigs. Anyway, keep up the reports.

Regards.

Jigs are key this year imo I have yet to land one on anything else bright colours in 1/2oz size the coho really like the slower up and down presentation I have had quite a few takes right at my feet as a fish follows it out of the pool.

Lots of people having to work hard for only a few fish this season. The fish that have been landed have all been very bright. The small chum run that is in the river appears to be thining out a fair bit over the past week so that is good at least.

That being said river is so low now I can walk across it in a couple spots Personally for me I will be switching back to the upper for trout this weekend until we get some rain.

Last year we caught some nice fish into December so fingers crossed there are more fish yet to enter the system.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.JPG
    IMG_0283.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 50
Those jigs look good Carmanah.The one in the middle's my favourite.Injured my knee a few days ago and haven't had a chance to get out recently so keep the reports coming good or bad.I'm hoping this rain brings a bunch of chromers in from the bay here
and I'm healed up enough to get out.I've had most of my luck on big bushy purple over black 1/2 oz marabou and a couple on a blue over black marabou 1/2 oz.Only one took on a bright chartruse over red jig.Nice slow presentation is key for sure.Only caught one on a spoon and one on a brass colorado with no more bites on hardware.The water's so low and clear and the fish are real spooky right now.This rain should help the cause.

Fished all weekend, I'm a twitchaholic and metal junkie. Hit two Friday one was a pig 1/2 solid pink with rubber legs and rabbit tail. Covered a lot of water. Saturday brought my float rod and trusty trout beads good start to the day shortfloating shallows when I noticed the schools holding in a foot of water. Dialed in the bead colour and size and hit well over twenty between Saturday and Sunday. Would have to say all bullets and small, two nice chunks lost early morn each day. Took a few breaks from the pin and worked metal and jigs and literally watched the school move away from my gear. Couple chrome jack spring and one long jaw slim bullet trout maybe but sure looked winter to me and friend.

Yet.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as great to see you guys fishing please use caution. The escapement targets not met and are really low on coho and chum right now. DFO and there wisdom opened up chum commercial fishery, and the fear is that fish were holding in estuary because of low water/cold whether and impacted big time. Not telling you gust what to do but if you can catch and release that would be a better option right now. You all saw what is going on Goldstream,and it is eh same story through Cowichan and other rivers in streams in that immediate area. Why the hell they would open a fishery before an escapement target is met is beyond me. We think Goldstream's chum were nabbed at same time as many would be in same area within the inlet.

Anyone have any info if its all clear from Stoltz to Vimy ? Heard there was a tree across down by Vimy a few weeks ago but not sure if it was above or below ? Thx

I was out on the weekend and there was a boat drifting from sandy to vimy(DG) so it must be clear it also looked like riverquest had clients and there trailer was empty hooked up to there truck so I think it's open from stoltz to sandy as well.
Lots of timber has been shuffled with new wood added so caution is the word. Should be in great shape with the levels dropping so fast.

I vouched what Carmanah said. Not sure the exact conditions from sandy to Vimmy but DG did drifted and I heard it was nada for fish but nothing about logs. No steelies yet but should be anytime now.

Use caution folks.

Heard that large amounts of sediments into the river once again the slide at the Stoltz Claybanks was leaching sediment into the mid -river and lower. Any updates?

Back