Rear grip too short. . .

fishbadger

I have kind of a niche problem, and I'm wondering if any of you have advice.

I have some new trolling rods with rear grips which are a bit short for my flush mount rod holders (the rod holders flush mounted in the gunnel of my 232). I like using those holders, as it's nice and clean, nice angles and easy and quick to work with. When I use these new rods (technium's) they bottom out and the reel clanks on the fiberglass of the gunnel. It's a general pain to screw around with them. My old rods, which I built specifically for my niche, have 12 inch carbon fiber rear grips, and don't have this problem. But I want to use the new rods on occasion too, especially with rookies on my boat. So my question is, I'm interested in stuffing some structure or material into the bottom of those flush rod holders, to make a new bottom for when I use the new rods. It would need to be hard or at least firm, have a reproducible height of 2-4 inches give or take, drain water readily, be easily removable and installable, and not degrade over a couple of months stuck in the holes. I've thought about foam but seems it would soak up water and not drain or be firm enough. I've stuck towels in there but same issue. I could buy some pvc pipe and put a cap over it and cut it to length, that's my lead idea, but haven't done it yet. Has anybody solved this issue with something easy? There must be something I haven't thought of. Thanks for reading and for your thoughts in advance. I hope everybody's season is kicking in full swing!

fb

Is there open access from underneath of rod holders? Drill a hole through bottom tube at required height, ss screw with wing nut through hole, bob’s your uncle.

My friends trophy was the same way but once the rods were down and tight, we could rotate the reels 90 degrees so that the reel wasn’t straight down and hitting the gunnel. Does that work for you or am I understanding this wrong?

Cut a small length of PVC or similar tubing. I used ~1” drain hose. Works like a charm. What if did for my rocket launchers which were a bit to deep (didn’t want my reels wacking on the top of them when running).

Last edited:
Cool, thanks all. Didn't think of the ping pong ball, that's a good one. PVC still in the running though. Thanks for the responses,

fb

Back