re power

tubilah

We recently bought an Eagle Craft crew boat that we are converting to a fishing/ pleasure boat. We will be spending the winter fixing it up (very rough shape). The motor on it is blown (200 Honda 4 stroke) so we are looking to re power it. It is a 23' with a pod. We are thinking of getting a 175hp to 200hp Evenrude E-Tec. What are your thoughts on this motor/ power? There are so many options out there and every dealer says there's is the best and calls down other brands. Thanks for your opinions!!

excellent engines with no major problems, as are every other brand on the market - if they wernt they wouldn't be in business.
Also take a good look at suzuki, i was re powering ide go suzuki or etecs.

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

excellent engines with no major problems, as are every other brand on the market - if they wernt they wouldn't be in business.
Also take a good look at suzuki, i was re powering ide go suzuki or etecs.

23' is getting into a medium sized boat... i would put more power on that 175 FOR SURE, you dot want to underpower its alot of water you have to move out of the way.

thank you for the reply. We are leaning towards the 200hp, The guys that ran it said the 200 honda 4 stroke was over powered, It would start skittering when wide open. Thats why we were wondering about a 175, ......i guess you dont have to use the power but its nice to have it if you need it. Any more opinions out there?

I agree with this.. its better to have too much power than too little. Think about it this way, you dont have to use all that power if you dont need it, but what if you need it and you dont have it? I powered my 26' with twin 250 4- strokes. Too much? Probably. But I can cruise at 4000 rpms at 30 mph with the engines hardly working. Also, offshore when Im in moderate seas, I can throttle back to cruise at as little as 16 mph and still have enough horsepower to keep me on a step. My old 200's would never do that, Id have to constantly be on and off the throttle.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Put the most power on you can afford or your boat will take. First, you don't have to run it hard to stay on step in big water. Second, you can cruise at lower rpm - less fuel. Third, longer engine life because you are not running the crap out of it to get up on plane with a full load.

I would look at Suzuki. I repowered my 265 Grady White Express which came up with twin 225 Yami 4 strokes and only 299 hours simply because i believe Suzuki is a better product, better warranty, better service.

Searun

Hey Tibulah , check the manafacturer specs for maximum horsepower. Overpowering has become a issue in the states with the insurance providers and I am sure it will be here soon enough. The specs will also contain the correct shaft length and recommended propping for your model. All vital to a well trimmed , fuel efficient boat. Good Luck!

I have a heavy welded aluminum 23'er with a pod which makes her waterline length 25'. I run a honda 225 on her and it is fantastic. Lot's of power when you need it (heading in with the swell on the west coast with fishing crew, full coolers, lot's of gear etc.) and cruises really nice around 28 mph. The previous owner did have a Suzzie 140 on her and said it was under powered.

IMO the 175 would be the min and something in the 200 to 225 range would be ideal.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

To each his own, but I've recently see some issues with Suzuki's that make me doubt I would buy one any time soon. If you ever get the chance to see a Suzuki powerhead completely torn down do so before buying.

What is the expected life out of a 225 Honda? That was what was on it and there is one for sale at parker marine with 1100 hours on it. At least then we would have spare parts.

never go wrong with a yami thats for sure.my 200's have 1100 hrs and have never had a fart yet.

quote:Originally posted by profisher

To each his own, but I've recently see some issues with Suzuki's that make me doubt I would buy one any time soon. If you ever get the chance to see a Suzuki powerhead completely torn down do so before buying.

What issues area you seeing pf? Ive got a 250 torn down in my garage. The bearings are pounded out, looks like an oil dillution prob., other than that its clean.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Well its been a long winter but the motors are finally hung!! Just a few more days spent running wires then over to Port boat house for a PDI then ready to hit the water. I can hardley wait. The poor husband has spent every spare minute out there getting the boat ready to go.

All the paint is stripped off now, interior stripped and new, new motors hung, all rewired etc. Will get soem new ones of the inside, too bad I didnt get some befores of the interior.

Back