Re boarding Device Requirements

For me that's still not clear.

But based on picture 3, if I get asked I can point at a rope and say that's my re - boarding device.... Just seems a bit unclear
I only have an 18 foot boat and it has a boarding ladder. People do fall overboard. Be practical and imagine trying to get back aboard your boat. Just get a ladder.

But based on picture 3, if I get asked I can point at a rope and say that's my re - boarding device.... Just seems a bit unclear
The rope in both pictures are tied/attached such that they can be used as footholds. The point of the whole thing is to be able to get back on board, particularly if you’re by yourself. Why don’t you jump in the water, fully clothed and try to get back on board, by yourself, with just a rope. Bet you’ll be wishing you had that ladder hanging off your swim grid.

My boat is also 18.6 DE, when I was boarded by 6 officers from 2 different countries, Canada and US joint ops DFO, Coast Guard and RCMP they went thru the checklist. Asked about my re-boarding device. I never had a ladder, rope or anything specific. My freeboard in engine well is low, I stated I would sure as hell do my best to get over the stern if I could get to stern of boat. Law says not to use engine, really? Think I would. After discussion they were very good, understood and let me continue fishing. Not sure if all officers would see it that way. Also found out that Canada's expiry rule on fire extinguishers is NOT what's on valve with green OK, its years.

HM

My boat is also 18.6 DE, when I was boarded by 6 officers from 2 different countries, Canada and US joint ops DFO, Coast Guard and RCMP they went thru the checklist. Asked about my re-boarding device. I never had a ladder, rope or anything specific. My freeboard in engine well is low, I stated I would sure as hell do my best to get over the stern if I could get to stern of boat. Law says not to use engine, really? Think I would. After discussion they were very good, understood and let me continue fishing. Not sure if all officers would see it that way. Also found out that Canada's expiry rule on fire extinguishers is NOT what's on valve with green OK, its years.

HM
Same thing happened to me and I was the same on the fire extinguishers, I need 2 because of cooking on boat. 1 was good the other had expired and seeing as they were bigger then required they let it pass and told me to get a new one.

Same for me on fire extinguisher and told me to get the piece of paper, register boat in my name online. Owner they had was many earlier and in different city. I did both immediately. Now all good.

HM

I have one of the collapsible rope and plastic re-boarding ladders, designed to take the weight of big men to be sure I am in compliance but not sure I would have to use it. Our boat has a very large aluminum pod, the flat deck of which is only a little above sea level, so it would be easy to slide up on and then stand up and step over the transom. I have had an RCMP Marine Unit guy suggest that a rope from bow to stern with sufficient slack in it to allow the person in the water to push it down with a hand and step on it to give you a leg up to climb over the side would work. A loop rope would also work. My guess is it will depend on the size of the boat, who checks you and what kind of a mood they are in. Like most policing situations, if you don't go all attitude on them you are more likely to have a good outcome.

My experience with being checked, is that they are more concerned about educating rather than giving you a hard time. If you are fully compliant for safety gear, they may give you a certificate which you can show if you get checked again later that year, rather than go through the whole inspection a 2nd time. I do know they don't like old crap life jackets that are not in good condition.

In my younger water skiing days we would step on the big motor cavitation plate to get ourselves over the back of the boat, (with the motor turned off of course).

Last edited:
If I am reading it correctly (...other device that does not include any part of the vessel’s propulsion unit) - even a tire (as a minimum) tied overboard could potentially be used - and I can tell you from experience - it works if you get it at the right height - the bottom of the hole slightly below the waterline - and that's where you can put your knee.

They way I read it is, IF you swim gid is more "When the freeboard exceeds 0.5 m (1’8”) you will need a reboarding device." then 0.5m out of the water then you would need a boarding device. Of course if your Swim grid is that much out of the water and does not have a ladder i gotta ask whats the point of having it lol

Thanks Guy's for all the input,

I will go out and buy one of those rope ladders to be compliant. I also will have my hali anchor line bow to stern attached for my next trip so that should count too. Thanks for the tip on the fire extinguisher I haven't checked mine in a while

Marty

Back