Raymarine vs Lowrance vs Simrad?

I think every manufacturer/model has pros/cons wrt price, user-friendliness, gadgets, hardware & software. Then there's the service and warranty from the distributor/dealers. So, lots to consider. Were you looking at radars, chartplotters, fishfinders...???

I think every manufacturer/model has pros/cons wrt price, user-friendliness, gadgets, hardware & software. Then there's the service and warranty from the distributor/dealers. So, lots to consider. Were you looking at radars, chartplotters, fishfinders...???
I'm looking to install a new chartplotter, fishfinder, radar, gps antenna, probably 2 9" displays

Well - I guess the questions are: Do you want that in a combo unit - or separate ones? Is it a big boat - or a smaller one? How much do you want to spend? Is there a dealer or 2 handy that you can get their pitch and promise from?

Wrt radar/chartplotter - you might wish to consider a combo unit. Some decent ones out there now, and with decent prices. The height and installation of your radar antenna has quite an effect on the sensitivity of the radar unit (https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/radar-mounting-ideas.73725/). Chartplotter/fish finder is another common combo unit - many models/manufacturers to choose from. Dependent upon how much aluminum is above the units - the external GPS antenna is a good idea...

Last edited:
Its a 22' Grady White overnighter with a fiberglass hardtop over a stainless frame. I'm thinking Wrt radar/chartplotter combo and seperate fishfinder. I live in Victoria.

Thats like asking whats better....chev, ford or dodge! You’ll get a thousand replys all with sound reasoning. The most important factor is $$$$$. What are you willing to spend, all makes/models will do the job. More expensive units will give you more options of bells and whistles some of which you’ll never use and some which are great features. All makers offer similar options they just call them a different name. Most people stick to a brand they first were introduced too because the learning cure of the features can be undonting especially for the less computer minded fisherman. Agentaqua mentioned after sales service and future linking to radar, networking, etc. Best to pick out a couple reputable dealers and get their “best deal”.

Well, you're lucky - you have choices wrt local outfitters/retailers. I would highly recommend Trotec there - always helpful and knowledgeable - I imagine other posters will have similar recommendations. Might be worth spending a couple hours dreaming online at all the models/manufacturers beforehand - so you have a decent idea of your needs and prices before you visit Trotec (if you decide to).

Sounds like a good choice wrt electronics. Spend just as much time thinking about the transducer as the hardware wrt the fishfinder. If you go deep and marine (verses fresh- and shallow) - you'll want a transducer that has low frequencies (e.g. 50 khz). I really like the new CHIRP models. There's several threads on this forum dealing with the transducer pros and cons that you may find helpful:
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/transducer.73422/
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-me-see-the-fish-sounder-issues.71418/
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/fishfinder-questions.72544/
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...-point-of-side-scan-does-anyone-use-it.73244/
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/sonar.64619/#post-808493

I also like the fishfinders that can record your sounding logs to rebuild maps of your favourite areas. That's a matter of preference, though - and if you already have a chartplotter/radar combo - it might be redundant.

I have quite an extensive experience with the Lowrance products, some with the Raymarine - and only a little with the Simrad products (mostly radar only). Of course Garmin has been increasing it's product line and trying to beat their way into the fishfinder/chartplotter market recently. Because of that - they are a bit cheaper than some other brands. Garmin was always big on GPS (and I like their products there) - but I can't say that I think they are as good as say Lowrance in the fishfinder/chartplotter products. Not yet, anyways.

However - everything is this market changes quickly - way too quickly to stay well read even - unless you are a dealer and it is your job to - IMHO.

That's why it is nice to drop in to some dealer like Trotec and ask them their opinion of the products they sell - once you have a bit of an idea as to what is out there for you.

Last edited:
Also note that of the three that you mention in your title, Lowrance and Simrad are made by the same company (Navico), and are inter-compatible. Navico aims the Lowrance stuff moreso to fisherman, the Simrad more to general boaters and B+G (whom they also own) moreso to sailors. Compatibility thought really mostly matters only for E-net stuff (radar, multi units, etc), the Nema2K things are cross-manufacturer compatible. So exciting buying new electronics!

It’s worth the drive up to Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo and talk with them. They are extremely well versed in Lowrance and Simrad. They have all the units Live on display and can explain to you all the pros/cons. They’re as honest as it gets, so I’m sure they can give you some insight to the quality of the Garmin products as well.

I'm upgrading my electronics to Garmin. I have had many Garmin devices and all of them have been very good. I have also had Lowrance that have worked well for me too.
You said you may have an MF Chartplotter and separate depth sounder. My main 12" MFD will be attached to the transducer and then I will have a 9" in the back that I can replicate depth info, charts, and radar if needed. This will be on a Garmin network and NMEA 2000 network.
The other thing I am doing is getting another 9" mounting bracket, power source, and network cables at the helm so I can use the 9" display when cruising. These are not expensive and easy to hook up.

FYI the Garmin guys at the boat show said most don't need a GPS antenna. The GPS in the MFD is the same and unless unusual circumstances it is not required.
I already have the mount from my Raymarine so will probably still install one

Back