Raw spot prawns?

They're great-just like Prawn flavoured butter- but getting the shells off is tough.
Raw prawns are great, eat em all the time. I use the heads either to make soup stock or use em for crab bait. One recipe is cerviche, cut up raw prawns, onion, celery, parsley and splashed with lime juice.

They are great raw out on the boat when you catch them, I wouldn't eat them raw if they'd been dead for say 12 hours or longer as they do deteriorate quickly. The prawn heads can be awesome, lots of flavor (kind of bacon like), but again they deteriorate quickly so I only do them the day they are caught. I do scoop the little bit of dark brown gooey bit out 1st but you don't have to, I deep fry them in a wok in canola oil with some garlic, I first dredge them in a bit of corn starch then sprinkle with freshly ground sea salt and a bit of pepper then throw them in the wok for a few minutes stir frying them, they don't have to be completely submerged in oil. This is how they do them in some of the Japanese restaurants.

D6C99F0F-E8CE-4FB8-9456-F24CB0AD6339.jpeg BF49DC99-9C85-4F43-8FD3-490EF9098485.jpeg
Raw prawns are great, eat em all the time. I use the heads either to make soup stock or use em for crab bait. One recipe is cerviche, cut up raw prawns, onion, celery, parsley and splashed with lime juice.

X2 on using the head for stock. Boil them with carrots, celery, garlic and bay leaves for 30 min. Then freeze in small ziplock bags and use it in curry dishes.

raw are very good, a very quick blanch or even a half freeze releases the shells.. vinegar-sugar water.. soak for a couple hours.. mmmmm

Yup, raw right out of the trap is great. A tiny dab of hot sauce or soya sauce is great on raw as well.

I always eat a few right out of the trap,
better than any cooked one out there

Right outtta the trap and into my yap... Mmmmmm

Getting the shell off of a fresh Prawn is a bit tough though.

Back