Raw food diet for dogs

My gal just got a new puppy (8wks old).The breeder like most nowadays it seems to recommend the raw food diet. Yes it’s more expensive but lots swear by it , claiming it as more natural and healthier for the dog . I was surprised when we took the pup to a vet for a check up and got chastised for the raw food diet. The clinic had a sign on the counter to advise them if using raw food diet. They put an alert on pup’s file , anyone touching the dog to use gloves when handing . Then got a lecture about salmonella risks and no apparent benefit for the dog. My gal almost in tears as they made us feel the puppy was contaminated. Seems over the top to me . Anyone got experience with the raw food diet and how is it working for you . Thanks in advance .

Well a friend of mine tried it dog got a infection and almost had to be put down tape worm lucky they caught it in time, i personally bake the bones and some meat for ours im too scared to feed them raw im sure if you buy from a trusted place but its still to scary for me.

I’ve fed my american bulldog and my pittie both raw mear with high protien kibble till till they were 2. Never had a problem. Seems to help with muscle and bone growth in my opinion.

Maybe try a different vet that can walk you through their recommendations on diet and brands of food? We have a 10 month old puppy and on our first checkup at 8 weeks our vet recommended a raw food diet. He said that straight raw was the best, followed dehydrated raw, then a high quality store brand / vet food, etc. Straight raw wasn't going to work for us and we've been using dehydrated raw (Smack brand) which is just as easy as feeding kibble and has been working well for our pup.

I have no feedback regarding the raw food diet, but I have a new pup, 7 months, and it is crazy the difference in things from our last pup, who would have been 9.5 now.
Especially around when and if to fix.
And I agree, some of the vet staff are very aggressive in their opinions. With the amount of change in 'information' in such a short time, I am not sure of the settled science.
Don't want to feel like a dog abuser for doing what was 'right' for the last dog.

I have no feedback regarding the raw food diet, but I have a new pup, 7 months, and it is crazy the difference in things from our last pup, who would have been 9.5 now.
Especially around when and if to fix.
And I agree, some of the vet staff are very aggressive in their opinions. With the amount of change in 'information' in such a short time, I am not sure of the settled science.
Don't want to feel like a dog abuser for doing what was 'right' for the last dog.
We were considering a doodle dog but all the breeders contacted insisted on the pup being fixed as early as 8 weeks old . My research suggested this is not healthy, better to wait till after 1st heat . I think early spay / neuter is just a business decision by the breeders .

Drives me nuts! Ha.

My parents used to breed labs, they have been involved in the Labrador Retriever Club for over 30 years, you would think this would be settled.
Our vet, nice young lass, is telling us that fixing males, since we have a male, at any point has negative health impacts for the dog.
And then I have heard, through people like yourself, that certain breeders are trying to fix dogs really young.
I have never heard of any health benefit by fixing at 8 weeks.

what do you mean by RAW dog food?

I have fed my dogs rice and salmon, but i cook it first

Been feeding are current dog and last dog raw meat and have never had a problem. I think we probably feed a bit less then if it was kibble food but neither one has been over weight or skinny because of it. The one thing that I did noticed right away when we first started the raw diet thing was the size of the ****. Considerably smaller and hard not runny like other dogs we had on the kibble. Think it’s because there is no fillers in the raw as opposed to the kibble.

Where are you located bud?
My dog has been on a raw food diet for years.
No issues, I think the vets like to scare people so that you buy normal dog food. The same vet was also nearly condascending towards us In terms of the raw food diet.

Where are you located bud?
My dog has been on a raw food diet for years.
No issues, I think the vets like to scare people so that you buy normal dog food. The same vet was also nearly condascending towards us In terms of the raw food diet.
Thanks Whitebuck , we are on the island in Ladysmith. Doing Mountain dog food right now and thinking of going to Buddies.

IMG_2616.JPG
Thanks Whitebuck , we are on the island in Ladysmith. Doing Mountain dog food right now and thinking of going to Buddies.
We buy from Buddies. I do know some people that have tried the raw food and their dogs just wouldn't take to it. Our last dog we had to start a bit at a time till she took to it. Our current dog was right from the get go she has been on the raw.

I get mine from a great German lady in Mission. 45$ for 30lbs. All in 1lb cubes.
Super easy. Some dogs can take a while to get used to it.

Will never feed my dogs anything else.

We have a doodle and got her 11 years ago. A vet recommended we put her on a raw food diet, so we did. We were told it was better for the dog, and I believe it is. Its been about 10.5 years on raw and she's doing great. We've never had an issue with her health, or with salmonella.
We have just recently taken in an 18 month old Italian Spinone that needed a new home. We started her on the raw food as well. Took her a week or so to adjust but now she loves it also.
Like someone else above mentioned...We buy it frozen from the pet store and it comes in 1 pound blocks. Both dogs are about 60 pounds each and they eat 1 block each per day, once.

One thing that wasn't mentioned earlier was dog poop when on raw. My dogs poop does not smell awful nor is it mushy or smear. It disappears fairly quickly off the lawn when I miss one. I have a friend who has a similar size dog and he feeds it the hard pellet food. When his dog goes, man it is awful. I've always thought that this was a huge plus for the raw diet.

Last edited:
Raw food has been great for my dog. Shes 8 but has the youthful exuberance of a 1 yo. People at the park are often shocked when we say she's 8. Her coat is very soft and healthy. she has a healthy body weight. One thing to look out for with raw though is dental hygene. the soft food tends to stick in between the teeth more and can cause problems. We get a 25lb box of "Pets Go Raw - Variety pack" for about $55 and a 5Lb bag of "Carnivora Beef Dinner". These come in frozen patties that are easy to thaw in the fridge and serve the next day. Its a good idea to switch up the type of meat every couple days as they can develop allergies if you give them, say chicken for every meal. Another thing I've learned is never feed dogs raw salmon as it can make them very sick. Raw diet is the way to go IMO

Another thing I've learned is never feed dogs raw salmon as it can make them very sick.
Salmon poisoning in dogs is caused by a parasite which can be killed by deep freezing (the fish not the dog) for 7 days. Keep an eye on your pooch. Even slime and blood can be fatal, I've read.

We live a natural food lifestyle, currently very popular (KETO). Our dogs eat what we eat, no sugar, no processed foods. We lost our Great Pyrenees in spring, he lived to be 19, our Fox Terror is 14 and still going strong. IMHO the packaged dog food is so full of filler and crap, it can't be good for them.

One thing to look out for with raw though is dental hygene. the soft food tends to stick in between the teeth more and can cause problems.
Yes that is one of the things we have noticed in both dogs.

Back