RATS

KCW

Checked on my boat this weekend and noticed Rats had moved in . They have chewed on almost everything , seats , fishing line ,spare reels, Binoculars , downrigger clips Etc. A great big Fing mess . Hopefully wiring hasn't been touched . Heard they were bad this year. 4 traps set and 4 homemade ones . If your boat is put away for the winter check for vermin !

Fawlty-Towers-Basil-the-Rat.jpg

"No no, Mr Fawlty, is no rat. Is filigree siberian hamster!"

if it is bad enough,, call your insurer!!

For the first time in my life i own a cat. Amazing how natural they are at hunting. We did have a rat/mouse problem..emphasis on the "did"

Always set traps in boat and bait in boathouse on my acreage. Caught one earlier on board. Heard that they like wiring on certain cars because covering is made from a food base product. Big problem in Courtenay this year. Auto mechanics there recommend leaving dryer fabric softener sheets around wiring (do that now too in cuddy, smells nice says the wife).

I found one in my boat a couple weeks ago in nanaimo... I got him before he could do any major damage as I had used the boat the week before and he hadnt moved in yet.

I now have traps and poison in the boat. My wife was all freaked out so we checked the house and garage good and luckily we didn't find any traces! We do however have traps around the house and in the garage as preventative maintenance,

They are bad all over the island. I work for a property management company and a lot of our clients are dealing with rat problems...

Checked on my boat this weekend and noticed Rats had moved in . They have chewed on almost everything , seats , fishing line ,spare reels, Binoculars , downrigger clips Etc. A great big Fing mess . Hopefully wiring hasn't been touched . Heard they were bad this year. 4 traps set and 4 homemade ones . If your boat is put away for the winter check for vermin !
Do you have a heat source in it? Is it nice and warm and cozy in there for them? Happen to my dad, they ate everything.

Careful with poison. Traps are better. Had an old boat way way back. Like 20 years ago. Had a mouse in there so poisoned it. They look for water when the poison gets em and he went through the hole in the bilge and died under the floor. Under normal conditions they dry out from the poison and don't really smell. In a bilge, wet and dry and wet again they really stink. For a long, long time

Rats and mice get wise to traps and poison after a while. Had a long standing problem in the summer place. Usually mixing peanut butter with the poison takes care of most of them. But after a while even that stopped working. I changed tactics and mixed chocolate syrup with the poison and that finally got rid of the stubborn ones. They're smart little buggers and be real hard to get rid of sometimes.

The bastards got the wiring harness in my wifes Hyundai Santa Fe.. $300--- yike! I run a trap line for mice and rats.. Get maybe 2-3 mice per week and maybe one rat every couple of weeks. One thing I was told by a pest control person was that it is necessary to clean your rat traps with vinegar after you nail one of the little boogers. Apparently blood and urine chase them away from a trap that has killed a little buddy... also I was told that Reeses Peanut butter cups are an excellent bait for a kill trap. Last thing I need is a rotting rat corpse under the floor ! No poison thanks.

Last edited:
I hate those f---ers. I've taken out lots of them over the years. I had a neighbour that had bird feeders which attracted them and I killed tons of rats in those days. She moved about 5 years ago and have had to only kill one since.

I use the cheap victor traps with peanut butter for bait. If they get trap shy, just move the traps to a new location and you're back in business.

In a summer place where your not there all the time poison is better. If you use traps the corpse will rot while your away. The poison causes them to bleed out and the body is totally desiccated and does not rot or even smell at all when you return. Funny comment about the reeses peanut butter cups, I found the poison mixed with chocolate syrup and peanut butter worked when everything else failed.

I had a stubborn mouse that woldn't take the bait. But I got the little bugger, by sitting quietly in the kitchen drinking my beer until it scurried out from under the kitchen counter. Shot it dead with my pellet gun. Most satisfying shot I've ever taken. Real pain to skin and gut, and didn't make much of a meal though :)

Any gardeners have advice about keeping a compost pile in a neighbourhood where rat populations are growing? We've given up on the bird feeders, but hope to keep the compost heap.

if it is bad enough,, call your insurer!!

worth a shot but unlikely. Check the wording in your policy and you may luck out or find a loop hole. Your insurance policy mainly covers you against " sudden or accidental." Any thing deemed preventable, or a maintenance issue, is usually not covered. I work in the insurance industry and have seen most, if not all rat and rodent damage claims get denied. I have seen mink infestations on boats stored in marinas get covered however. Again, check the wording in your policy.

Back