Rapala Classic Moocher

Those who have experience with this rod, which model are you using? I went to Canadian Tire and was looking for the CLM30M1060ML2, med/light action, but they seem to only carry the heavier 12-30 version. Has anyone ran across the lighter version at all anywhere?

I fish both extensively. My preference is the lighter version. Excellent rod, no issues. I have a lot of clients on the boat, and they aren't always kind to the rods and they stand up. Yes, I have broken 2 in the past 4 seasons. Both were brand new and failed on the first trip out so there was clearly something wrong. The other 6 rods I have been fishing are so far bullet proof. BTW, I also fished 2 technium's and have broken both. Fortunately both were warranted. So I still have 2 that I use but would say on balance they don't seem to be standing up nearly as well as the Classic Moocher. I have yet to find a rod that is truly bullet proof - they all have their issues. However for the money I really am hooked on the classic moocher in the lighter action. Hope that helps.

I would try PNT. It is booking season and they should be getting lots in the new year.

Ok I'll contact them and see. I checked with WSS and they didn't have any med/light in stock, just the heavier version. Currently there is a sale on them at around $97. A few in stock in other stores (interior), but they can't bring it in at the sale price. So it would be at the regular price of $140 each. As you know CT sells them for a brown bill everyday. At that price I might look into either the North Coast or Techniums. Just trying to be realistic about how much I'm going to use them, and don't want to invest too much.

The northcoast rods have had issues with the blanks breaking and the reel seats coming unglued and spinning.

Never had any reel seats spin. That is new to me. I did break 2, but they were new out of the box. No different than the 2 techniums I broke. Like posted I have 6 Classic Moochers on the boat for guiding...no issues. Some are now 3 seasons old. I'm thinking that if there were problems I would have seen em by now.

Never had any reel seats spin. That is new to me. I did break 2, but they were new out of the box. No different than the 2 techniums I broke. Like posted I have 6 Classic Moochers on the boat for guiding...no issues. Some are now 3 seasons old. I'm thinking that if there were problems I would have seen em by now.

The classic moochers are good to go and I fish them on my boat as well. It is the Northcoast rods that have had issues.

Ya I have a bunch of the classic moochers great rods. Forsure buy the med/light versions

Back