RANT: SFAB meeing Wednesday Mar 21 7pm (Victoria)

For starters, most of our salmon stocks are in horrible shape. Brood salmon that spend an extra year in the Fraser drainage system suffer a 95% mortality, or thereabouts, according to DFO. Of course they should deploy scientists to investigate but PM Harper does not believe in the scientific approach. Vancouver Island could be a Mecca for salmon fishing. If we undertook a stream and estuary rehabilitation, possible pen release, enhancement in very large numbers, we will do well and there will be more than enough salmon for everyone. Maybe we should develop a charter, develop a business plan and principals for salmon enhancement and try to convince fisheries to let us run it!

b55, we DO run a great number of salmon enhancement projects, many with good results. If you want to support this then your financial and hands-on help would be a good start! Go out and join any of the existing societies, or if you wish to go a step further, start a new one and adopt one of the many neglected streams left in this province.

IMO we need to need every stream assessed, a small enhancement on every stream, rivers/estuaries enhanced & rehabilitated, maybe get our own lottery with big boats/trips, a Vancouver island stamp. My thoughts

Just sent this off to the Times Colonist Editorial.

After watching a recent local newscast about the recent DFO meetings with both recreational anglers and also native groups to discuss ongoing decreases in some Fraser River Chinook salmon numbers, something caught my attention. The native spokesman indicated that his group was willing to stand down and accept short term pain for long term gain and suggested recreational anglers do the same. As a 26 year career sport fishing charter operator I would like to take him up on his offer. I would gladly park my boat and ask all my fellow recreational anglers to do the same if the people he represents agree to do the same. Also agree to mutually verifiable compliance and also allow unobstructed DFO enforcement of infractions as they occur by either group. I would gladly step down to see some real progress towards rebuilding Fraser River stocks of concern. DFO's own data indicates that 35% (by far the largest portion) of these fish are caught and killed within the Fraser River itself. Voluntarily removing the unselective gill nets from the river during the salmon's spawning run for a few years will help immensely. So I will take this offer as it appears this may be the only real hope local wild salmon and also local killer whales have at rebounding.

Rollie Rose, Sooke Salmon Charters Ltd
Victoria, B.C.

250-213-3055

After watching a recent local newscast about the recent DFO meetings with both recreational anglers and also native groups to discuss ongoing decreases in some Fraser River Chinook salmon numbers, something caught my attention. The native spokesman indicated that his group was willing to stand down and accept short term pain for long term gain and suggested recreational anglers do the same. As a 26 year career sport fishing charter operator I would like to take him up on his offer. I would gladly park my boat and ask all my fellow recreational anglers to do the same if the people he represents agree to do the same. Also agree to mutually verifiable compliance and also allow unobstructed DFO enforcement of infractions as they occur by either group. I would gladly step down to see some real progress towards rebuilding Fraser River stocks of concern. DFO's own data indicates that 35% (by far the largest portion) of these fish are caught and killed within the Fraser River itself. Voluntarily removing the unselective gill nets from the river during the salmon's spawning run for a few years will help immensely. So I will take this offer as it appears this may be the only real hope local wild salmon and also local killer whales have at rebounding.

Victoria, B.C.

250-213-3055

WOW! About F%(#)&@%@(*%ing time someone in the industry put there money where there mouth is. Well done Rollie. I think you have earned my self and alot of other guys respect buy saying that. Hope they publish it.

LOrne

Victoria, B.C.

250-213-3055

I've been asked to dial down my posting frequency (I'm a newby) and I certainly intend to do that but...this is a very smart strategy.

Looking at it from the public perspective: we look great!
1) initiated by F.N.'s
2) cooperative opportunity with F,N.'s - "partnership" for conservation
3) illustrates a serious and significant commitment
4) motivated by our sincere interest in conservation
5) rec. side seen making a sacrifice
6) long-established charter operator loses big revenue - another sacrifice from the rec. side

This should get us some great media attention.

For us it:
6) forces DFO's hand to take action and be accountable in enforcement
7) big downside if FN's are not complying - broken agreement with us (and promise to the public)
8) has no downside for us - other than spending a summer avoiding chinooks, as long as we stay in compliance

We would have to ensure our full compliance and enforce that or this will backfire dramatically.

Could we get a pledge sheet going with all the rec. guys that will commit to this? Then get Hume back to report this very positive response from the recreational side. - call his bluff! I'm in for sure. Big numbers signing from our side would sure look good for us.

Just had to say - now I'll stand down for a bit.

While I am very sincere in the content within the letter this is also about forceing their hand. If your going to paint us as greedy users and yourself as the great guardian...you better be prepared to back yourself up!!!!!

I do like your idea of a petition being circulated with similar wording to my post..then call the media to witness our handing over of all the signatures to both DFO and the leaders of the Fraser River FN bands.

While I am very sincere in the content within the letter this is also about forceing their hand. If your going to paint us as greedy users and yourself as the great guardian...you better be prepared to back yourself up!!!!!

I commend your efforts Rollie and will gladly stand behind you in supporting this move. It is up to them now to follow through on their promise and commitment to the stock. I would also like to see every sector in every area that sees these fish be required to stop fishing chinook. How this would go over is obvious. But hey, if they are asking jdf sporties to accept cuts, then everyone else must follow.

High 5, give me time I can only come up with one good letter a day!!!!! ;) You can apply the same logic and battle the fish farms the same way. Just have to wait patiently until an industry spokesman opens his or her mouth. Then find the words to stick it to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been mentioned a few times that the south island guys have taken enough restrictions. And i agree. The FN thing isnt going to change so now we have to look at ways to reduce the Chinook catch. These same fish cruise right buy WCVI. Has there been any talk at reducing the catch in WCVI? Would guides on the west coast support this to help your fellow brothers down south?

I've been asked to dial down my posting frequency (I'm a newby) and I certainly intend to do that but...
Hahaha... Why didn't someone tell Holmes to "dial down"!

this is a very smart strategy.

Looking at it from the public perspective: we look great!
1) initiated by F.N.'s
2) cooperative opportunity with F,N.'s - "partnership" for conservation
3) illustrates a serious and significant commitment
4) motivated by our sincere interest in conservation
5) rec. side seen making a sacrifice
6) long-established charter operator loses big revenue - another sacrifice from the rec. side

This should get us some great media attention.

For us it:
6) forces DFO's hand to take action and be accountable in enforcement
7) big downside if FN's are not complying - broken agreement with us (and promise to the public)
8) has no downside for us - other than spending a summer avoiding chinooks, as long as we stay in compliance

We would have to ensure our full compliance and enforce that or this will backfire dramatically.

Could we get a pledge sheet going with all the rec. guys that will commit to this? Then get Hume back to report this very positive response from the recreational side. - call his bluff! I'm in for sure. Big numbers signing from our side would sure look good for us.

Just had to say - now I'll stand down for a bit.

Sending a letter to the Times Colonist Editorial is a great place to start; however, there needs to more than a letter sent to anyone. I
would highly suggest a group (both rec & commercial) meet with the FN face to face, explaining this is not about how to divide a dying stock, it is about what needs done to fix the problems. "Asking" for their input, help, and support - think Alex Morton there! And, I do mean the "Elders" and "Chief" not just tribe member who migh be expressing their own opinion!

FYI... I highly also suggest those fish be tested for ISA! Might be surprised what you find there!

Victoria, B.C.

250-213-3055

Wow, thats quite a commitment Rollie! I respect your stance in this. Your are truly putting your money where your mouth to the benefit of the whole sportfishing sector. I commend you for this.

That's very noble Rollie. Us rec fishers are always the 1st to think of the fish.

As being involved with many FN issues over the years i will say that there is NO WAY they will take the nets out of the river. We both know that that criminal Ernie Crey has too many contracts to sell his "food fish" and will never give that up.

That's very noble Rollie. Us rec fishers are always the 1st to think of the fish.

As being involved with many FN issues over the years i will say that there is NO WAY they will take the nets out of the river. We both know that that criminal Ernie Crey has too many contracts to sell his "food fish" and will never give that up.

I agree on all accounts. With hundreds of Bands along the river trying to get fish before the next guy and all the corruption intertwined, there is no way. And despite any lip service otherwise by FN in the name of self imposed restrictions, they are not binded to follow them. DFO can not enforce anything and ultimalely the Courts protect them to fish. Any "conservation initiatives" by the FN IMO would be a smoke screen and p r ploy for rec anglers to accept further restrictions. Call me cynical but that is my opinion.

We have to get a handle on this FN river fishing or we are all screwed,as well as our kids!So lets start blowing sh*t up like the east coast.

We have to get a handle on this FN river fishing or we are all screwed,as well as our kids!So lets start blowing sh*t up like the east coast.

I guess they dont quite understand the fox and chicken coop theory back east. This could have significant impacts on all fish..

Back