RANT: SFAB meeing Wednesday Mar 21 7pm (Victoria)

Knowing that the recent Halibut Seminar sold out at 300 in the same room, I would estimate that there were around 500 people during the peak time in the room. There had to be at least 150 - 200 people standing in the back of the 300 seated people.

Little disappointed about the news coverage. Very little of substance. Media does not seem to understand what we are demanding. Or they don't want to understand.

That's why there needs to be talking points created and press releases sent to all media outlets. If we sit back and let the media try and tell the story they will always get it wrong.

The SFAB is working hard but they need to step their game up and learn how to lobby. Great turn out though and I think our point was made loud and clear.

It sounded to me like the SFAB will be sitting down again with Dfo next week to discuss the 'talking points'. Sending all well brought up points mabey should be sent out as a press package as I felt they left way to early. If you know how to do that could could call Chris and ask if you could facilitate that. I thought this was just the publics chance to come forward with there concerns and have dfo 'answer'. I felt the same way before like you and thought that was the SFAB job but Chris has said it a few times now, SFAB is not a lobby group. Well not the signs and yelling kind of lobbying. We should start a sporties lobby group to do and say the things they are fighting for in a more rambucksious manor. That they cannot do and still be listened to. I think there was a meeting to that effect before the new year. A new one with interested people should meet again soon. b55 mention of barricading fishfarms and dfo office sounded like a good one. ah polictics i fricken hate em. I wish I could speak clearly and had the knowledge enough to do this, but I dont. We need a few well spoken and educated people or else you make your cause look like a bunch of yahoos.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend, there is much wrong with your statement. The vast majority of commercially caught fish in BC is exported so that a BC wide boycott would do next to nothing. You are starting from a completely wrong angle.

your right lets keep going to meeting that achieve NOTHING. then take a pretend vote on rejecting proposed dfo regulation that also means nothing(like they care) and the vast majority of bcer's don't care because it gets 2 seconds on the news. the commercial fishery is what is damaging the wild stocks thats the message that needs to be heard a boycott would be the beginning and government would hopefully receive pressure to not allow wild fish to exported damaging both the dfo and commies. to say a boycott would do nothing is like going to a sfab meeting

Problem there combover is that the westcoast's biggest commercial ,the Canadian fishing company is jimmy pattison owned
and we all know how tightly linked he is with the government.

your right lets keep going to meeting that achieve NOTHING. then take a pretend vote on rejecting proposed dfo regulation that also means nothing(like they care) and the vast majority of bcer's don't care because it gets 2 seconds on the news. the commercial fishery is what is damaging the wild stocks thats the message that needs to be heard a boycott would be the beginning and government would hopefully receive pressure to not allow wild fish to exported damaging both the dfo and commies. to say a boycott would do nothing is like going to a sfab meeting
commercial fishing is nothing compaired to the fish farms.I know commercial guys that have west coast licences that haven't used them in years for lack of fish to catch.Put a moratorium on the west coast for 5 years and let the fish get up the f#$&in rivers,that means no native fishing as well.

commercial fishing is nothing compaired to the fish farms.I know commercial guys that have west coast licences that haven't used them in years for lack of fish to catch.Put a moratorium on the west coast for 5 years and let the fish get up the f#$&in rivers,that means no native fishing as well.

that just may well happen. but commercial charter boat operators would backrupt.
but a true sports "catch and release program" with a one or two chinook retention tag program maybe coming down the pipe.

I think the message to DFO from the Victoria crowd in regards to continuing the Fraser Chinook problems and their desire to reduce further the TAC is this...area 19 and 20 have already taken huge hits and have done far more than their share of reducing the tac on these 4-2 and 5-2 Chinook. DFO were told to look somewhere else to bring down the tac to the new reduced level they want to get it to. In other words these fish and the CWT's show up all along the coast..CR was mentioned....as was the Fraser FN fishery ...it is only fair that these areas/fisheries share some of the burden of reducing the tac...that here in Victoria we will not accept any more restrictions.

Problem there combover is that the westcoast's biggest commercial ,the Canadian fishing company is jimmy pattison owned and we all know how tightly linked he is with the government.

Yes WE do!

And, since there is a few that keep telling how I support Bob Wright "OBMG" PR, well how about a post something about the a company owned by the Jim Patterson Group?

"Overwaitea Food Group (OFG) has become the first Canadian grocery chain to make sustainable farmed salmon broadly available. OFG is now the exclusive North American retailer for coho salmon sustainably farmed in a land-based closed containment system."

"Why is salmon farmed in closed containment more sustainable than net-cage farmed salmon?"

"Coho salmon being sold at Overwaitea stores (Save On Foods, Overwaitea, Price Smart, Urban Fare, Bulkley Valley) is raised in a land-based closed containment operation that has received a “Best Choice” ranking for environmental sustainability. Closed systems separate farmed fish from wild fish and the environment allowing waste, escapes, and spread of disease and sea lice to be controlled. For all of these impacts this closed containment salmon ranked “Best Choice” where net-pen farmed salmon ranked “Avoid.”

Don't confuse the differance between "halibut" and "salmon"!

This isn't new news but is a very interesting read, DFO, province and feds should be ashamed!!

http://www.pacificfreepress.com/new...causes-to-chinook-salmon-stocks-collapse.html

If you want to believe habitat loss is the primary impact and completely ignore these lethal chinook salmon viruses - I can't help you. If you want to take a stand on these viruses I will do everything I can to give you the evidence that viruses from salmon feedlots are killing wild salmon. I suspect this will not reach public understanding and action until it is publicized in a manner that is far beyond my means and expertise. I am up against an industry spending millions on advertising, a federal government bent on selling farm salmon to the world and a provincial government that is so out of touch they don't realize they are the landlords of this industry. They could simply stop leasing our major migration routes to this industry. All the evidence is clear, we will lose our wild salmon if these viruses continue to pour over them every time they pass Campbell River.

This isn't new news but is a very interesting read, DFO, province and feds should be ashamed!!

http://www.pacificfreepress.com/new...causes-to-chinook-salmon-stocks-collapse.html

If you want to believe habitat loss is the primary impact and completely ignore these lethal chinook salmon viruses - I can't help you. If you want to take a stand on these viruses I will do everything I can to give you the evidence that viruses from salmon feedlots are killing wild salmon. I suspect this will not reach public understanding and action until it is publicized in a manner that is far beyond my means and expertise. I am up against an industry spending millions on advertising, a federal government bent on selling farm salmon to the world and a provincial government that is so out of touch they don't realize they are the landlords of this industry. They could simply stop leasing our major migration routes to this industry. All the evidence is clear, we will lose our wild salmon if these viruses continue to pour over them every time they pass Campbell River.

I will again state, I don't know who the hell you are; however, IMHO... YOU just got "the best two first posts I've ever seen" in the entire history of this forum! :)

X-2 on that one Charlie! Welcome aboard Scottydog whoever the hell you are.

Many of us have been singing the 'salmon-farm-blues' for years to no avail. Hopefully, with the efforts of the likes of Alex, the Cohen commisson and other light-shedding events of late - these peckerheads are going to forced to pack-up and get out of Dodge.

Chile will welcome them with a massive expansion to meet the needs of a hungry USA...

We as Canadians need to put an end to these "Salmon Feedlots" and the political corruption that must accompany them at whatever cost. Scott

Couldn't agree more Scott - well said. Managing the fishery is even more problematic. Issue further up the coast is we have a mixed stock fishery where we have the 4th largest run of Columbia River Chinook in history migrating at the same time as the Fraser stocks. Hard to shut down a great fishery further up the coast with this level of abundance. This is a difficult problem as it is easier to manage sport interceptions in area 19/20 because there are relatively few healthy stocks mixed in with the Fraser fish in this area. The other issue is DFO doesn't have solid catch dna data to determine early in the season exactly how many Fraser fish are coming. Hopefully we can all get on board with collecting accurate catch data and dna evidence to help establish better science.

DFO's management plan doesn't consider how many healthy big numbered runs are mixed in. They are managing to the lower numbered stocks of concern. It becomes more difficult up north but it is not impossible. We are not talking about saving 10's of thousand of fish the number is relatively small. We are asking for small sacrifices up and down the coast (by our fellow rec fishers) which will collectively satisfy DFO's plan to reduce the total present TAC on 5-2's by 50%. If these fish spent their entire lives in 19/20 then we would be out to lunch asking for this...but they don't. I'm sure our local board will put forward ideas that would minimize the impact on the other areas and yet achieve the goals of DFO. We just don't want to keep taking the hit for everyone else down here. We are at the brink of being SOL.

I also believe that the first suggestion was to restrict the WCVI troll further as per DFO's allocation policy. That alone might reduce the TAC to where they want it.

I also believe that the first suggestion was to restrict the WCVI troll further as per DFO's allocation policy. That alone might reduce the TAC to where they want it.

I would not be a part of any process that restricts the trollers any further.. As us in area 19/20 they have been hit pretty damn hard. Those are the money fish. Those are the fish that create jobs. Exported or not..

Jimmy P sucking 90% of the SSS fish to go to animal feed does not create jobs.

I thought that Chinook and Coho were supposed to be a sport fish anyways? I would hate to see wcvi lose those fish, but I would think they have to be prepared for something to happen. Could they still target the strong runs of chinook or would this be too hard to accomplish? When you think of it though, there is something else wrong with this run. It isn't the trollers that are killing the run, just the same as it's not the sporties in jdf that really have much impact on these fish. Cutting off wcvi troll will only delay the cut off of jdf sport. We should really support and push for a more long term solution......Don't know if dfo is capable of this though. Are there any groups I can support that are seeking answers to issues like these? SFI? PSF? I know it's DFO's job, but, we know how they've done with that.

Back