RANT: SFAB meeing Wednesday Mar 21 7pm (Victoria)

Natives are the worst culprits of all in terms of these stocks...they're SO hypocritcal it's mind boggling. Conservation? They don't even know what that word is...look at what they did to the Knight Inlet moose population.

I saw Ernie Crey on the CHEK news video - one of the prime FN fish pirates.

I remember a number of years ago when a BCTV camera crew found his warehouse full of rotting Sockeye and trailer trucks full of fish headed for the US.

Just sickening!

I saw Ernie Crey on the CHEK news video - one of the prime FN fish pirates.

I remember a number of years ago when a BCTV camera crew found his warehouse full of rotting Sockeye and trailer trucks full of fish headed for the US.

Just sickening!

There are lot's of cases of this out there and I think "reelfast" pointed it out that it is not impossible to take them to court. They have done so successfully in Washington State.

If they want to start shuting things down. Why don't they start with the irigation pumps where these fish spawn. The ileagl netting in the Fraser. They krill and herring fishery in the Gulf of Georgia. Maybe the fish would start to have a chance then. If they don't have a place to spawn you will never bring them back.

Given there is a direct correlation between length of time in the Fraser system after hatching, more restrictions will mean we will watch the runs go extinct. And the fact DFO were not aware of diseases in the Fraser system said it all. The Cultus Sockeye with its 100% mortality means more restrictions in order to build it up?

i believe a movement to boycott commercial caught fish is the only real step that would change the way sporty's are treated. until we start costing the dfo and commies money they won't care about us (proof is the past 5 years). the argument is simple and the dfo numbers are the backing. if a movement telling british columbians then the county that wild salmon and halibut stocks are in dire need of real conservation and purchasing fish from restaurants and grocery stores is supporting the decimation of wild salmon and halibut and killing orca's food supply more people will start to listen if and take more interest. another argument would be wild fish should not be exported from bc since farmed salmon is more than adequate to supply eastern markets.

Les the DFO guy on the news had no idea what volume of fish Washington hatcheries have been cranking out. You would think they might want to figure out what is working? .

I HIGHLY doubt he TRULY had "no idea".....that is just a deflection type answer. Watching him speak on the link that Sculpin provided just reaffirms that he is a useless puppet who is being forced to be the front man and pander to FN and commercial interests over the sport community. I have learned a HUGE amount from this forum on these issues over the years and if he claims he knows NOTHING about the returns of the hatchery program in Washington state I am sure I could debate him back into the paperbag he likely pulls his theories on regs out of.

I would say that the VAST majority of people out there chasing chinook around the Island and up and down the BC coast know that there are HUGE numbers returning to WA state thanks to their hatchery program. How this dolt doesn't know.....likely means he is spending to much time playing solitaire on his PC all day.

i believe a movement to boycott commercial caught fish is the only real step that would change the way sporty's are treated. until we start costing the dfo and commies money they won't care about us (proof is the past 5 years). the argument is simple and the dfo numbers are the backing. if a movement telling british columbians then the county that wild salmon and halibut stocks are in dire need of real conservation and purchasing fish from restaurants and grocery stores is supporting the decimation of wild salmon and halibut and killing orca's food supply more people will start to listen if and take more interest. another argument would be wild fish should not be exported from bc since farmed salmon is more than adequate to supply eastern markets.

My friend, there is much wrong with your statement. The vast majority of commercially caught fish in BC is exported so that a BC wide boycott would do next to nothing. You are starting from a completely wrong angle.

Knowing that the recent Halibut Seminar sold out at 300 in the same room, I would estimate that there were around 500 people during the peak time in the room. There had to be at least 150 - 200 people standing in the back of the 300 seated people.

Little disappointed about the news coverage. Very little of substance. Media does not seem to understand what we are demanding. Or they don't want to understand.

Little disappointed about the news coverage. Very little of substance. Media does not seem to understand what we are demanding. Or they don't want to understand.

I noticed that on the 11 news... Kinda painted us as the bad guys?
Funny that they didn't cover really any of the questions put forth.... better yet some of Les' answers

IMO the only way to hove a true effect is to mount a court action. I believe DFO has a Fiduciary responsibility to manage salmon. Low water, pollution, fish farms, lack of hatcheries all have significant impacts. IMO reduced access to our Chinook salmon must be offset by greater access to Sockeye. But to focus on a group that takes only 10% is nuts. The fact 4-1 returns are very high compared to 4-2 and 5-2 runs should tell them something about stream and river degradation on salmon returns.

Knowing that the recent Halibut Seminar sold out at 300 in the same room, I would estimate that there were around 500 people during the peak time in the room. There had to be at least 150 - 200 people standing in the back of the 300 seated people.

I think if we want to get more support for our cause we need to get the general public understand our side of the story. That would mean setting up news releases, writing position papers with data to back them up, writing letters to the editor and various types of advertsing, etc. I know this all takes time and $, but if we leave it to the media to figure out our position, or to tell the real story we are doomed. If the media is not already told what they can say, or not say, they are then guided by the age old need to create a controversy to sell their stories. To do this they need to ID a bad guy. If we are not prepared with positions and facts, we could easily end up being 'spin doctor'ed' into the bad guy in this story, (i.e. taking orcas food away, not supporting DFO in conservation of endangered chinook runs, not joining FN in reducing this years harvesting, etc....). We need to take the time to effectively communicate our positions to be successful here. My 2 bits.

Great turn out.
Lots of people from this Forum there. Also MLA's, Tourism represenatives and many other key people.
Good job. Thanks for coming out.

I found the meeting informative in some ways.

My feelings of the DFO incompetance was confirmed by the "scaling" of data from 2000-2006 with no current data, the fact that they have no idea where these fish are dying and also confirmed that they have no plan going forward as to collecting current data.
FN issues were mentioned briefly but rushed over as they obviously did not want to talk about it, have no control, no plan and are not dealing with it. With the 35% impact on the stocks of concern , you would think there would be more focus on this.
(Don't get me wrong I am in full support of the FN Food and Ceremonial fishing and even the right to sell a regulated amount but completely against the abuse of this right, the illegal sales and waste of unused fish. Also would like to see these proud FN people step up with some conservation efforts and self management)

2/3 of the room left at the intermission between salmon talks and halibut talks but I stuck around and my understanding of the SFAB support of the size limit on second halibut is better now and I am more comfortable with it. And as stated by SFAB the real issue is still the Allocation issue and this should not be forgotten. Conservation is not what shortens our season. Allocation does.
Also I have a better understanding of the voodoo math used to calculate our catch and found it interesting that SFAB is comfortable with the way this number is calculated. (I think mostly because it is irrelevent when we are still only getting 15% of the TAC)

There are some very passionate people and groups out there fighting for our fishery and putting some serious pressure on DFO and Gov.
Great that so many people came out to support. We need this at every meeting. Small amount of time for us to put in for the large amount of time we put in on the water.

Tips

The fact 4-1 returns are very high compared to 4-2 and 5-2 runs should tell them something about stream and river degradation on salmon returns.

Great point wonder if Kristy Miller (DFO genetics) has done any work on this.
I don't know anything about the stream conditions for these fish but don't they follow the same path as there cousins? Could there be a disease that is affecting them. Test could be done from an independent lab because frankly I don't trust the one we have here. (except Kristy Miller)
GLG

Would someone who attended the meeting be kind enough to share exactly what was said about the impact of the fish farms? Was there any sort of detailed discussion, or was the subject summarily dismissed?

Thx.

DFO said fish farms have zero impact on salmon runs. No problems. Nothing to look at! :-(

DFO said fish farms have zero impact on salmon runs. No problems. Nothing to look at! :-(

Wow. Please tell me there were boos and laughter from the assembled crowd.

That kind of negligence is really infuriating.

That's because you didn't bring your OCCUPY DFO signs, tons of trash, and topless women chanting about sea lice and fish leukemia. (especially the last one)

Back