Raincoast wants total closure of ALL fisheries.

OldBlackDog

1BB74D5A-1E2A-450E-A9E9-9F461749083D.jpeg

It’s really hard to justify total closures for conservation reasons when IMO we have really just gotten started at many new measures to help with declining stocks. Closing everything down simply means our government watched another collapse of a coastal fishery. I’m not sure they want to tell folks in BC that oops we blew another one. I applaud activism its certainly needed but I would be interested to hear their plan to replace the hundreds of millions of dollars of lost revenue and thousands of lost jobs due to the closures. It’s easy to call for a complete ban on something when your livelihood doesn’t rely on it. We haven’t reduced annual catch limits for the rec sector, why not? It might help. Reduce legal size limits down to 50 cm Province wide. Where I fish it’s 24 1/2 inches to keep a legal Chinook. Too big folks, too many injured Chinook being thrown back because they’re an inch or two undersized. There’s lots of things we could be doing. Let’s just start. It’s achievable.

They also want to shut down fish farms, seal harvests, Chinook fishing and commercial herring fishing.

Instead of pointing fingers at all the industry's and doing their dirty work for them we should be working together.

Agree w your post, walleyes...

Might be worth attending for those in the area/time to both see/hear what is being planned and to give an alternative viewpoint...

Its amazing the amount of members on the forum that never post anything to do with fishing.. Why would they join & talk part in a sport fishing forum if they dont even discuss fishing?

It’s really hard to justify total closures for conservation reasons when IMO we have really just gotten started at many new measures to help with declining stocks. Closing everything down simply means our government watched another collapse of a coastal fishery. I’m not sure they want to tell folks in BC that oops we blew another one. I applaud activism its certainly needed but I would be interested to hear their plan to replace the hundreds of millions of dollars of lost revenue and thousands of lost jobs due to the closures. It’s easy to call for a complete ban on something when your livelihood doesn’t rely on it. We haven’t reduced annual catch limits for the rec sector, why not? It might help. Reduce legal size limits down to 50 cm Province wide. Where I fish it’s 24 1/2 inches to keep a legal Chinook. Too big folks, too many injured Chinook being thrown back because they’re an inch or two undersized. There’s lots of things we could be doing. Let’s just start. It’s achievable.

All of this are being looked at.. but doesnt happen over night

and we need people to show up to these to call out all the miss information that NGO are throwing out there ... too start to call them out and hold them accountable... perhaps visit some of there social medi accounts & start calling them out... accountability needs to demand now for the so wrong and misguided statements.....

and we need people to show up to these to call out all the miss information that NGO are throwing out there ... too start to call them out and hold them accountable... perhaps visit some of there social medi accounts & start calling them out... accountability needs to demand now for the so wrong and misguided statements.....
Where, what or when is the best venue to have a public discussion with them? I would like to rattle them up a little.

Agree w your post, walleyes...

Might be worth attending for those in the area/time to both see/hear what is being planned and to give an alternative viewpoint...
I would say its a must attend if nothing else than to show up and let them look at some of the 9,000 faces they are working to put out of work and onto the streets. These ENGO's care not about the impacts their actions have on real people who are also part of the ecosystem. We need to show up and send a message, let them see what the impacts are and answer tough questions about what they propose to do about all the people they impact and the devastation to coastal communities. Unless they see and feel the impact of their actions, it will always be easy to kick the recreational dog and not fear it will bite back.

Where, what or when is the best venue to have a public discussion with them? I would like to rattle them up a little.

These are the ENGO Social Media sites that need to be followed and commented on. With good science based responses, it will help put doubt into the minds of their followers. Georgia Strait Alliance and Rain Coast have a massive following but do not seem to be very knowledgeable about chinook salmon and their dynamics. So far, a lot of the science based challenges that some of us have posted on their social media sites have demonstrated that they really lack a thorough understanding of salmon in general and are not credible sources. The unfortunate part of the scenario is most of their followers are even more clueless and recklessly follow these ENGOs and unfortunately the rec sector will bear the brunt of their petitions.

https://www.facebook.com/GeorgiaStraitBC/

https://www.facebook.com/Raincoast/

https://www.facebook.com/SalishSeaOrcas/

But the American anti-oilsands funding effort didn’t stop at encouraging opposition to oil pipelines. The Victoria-based Dogwood Initiative received millions of dollars from Tides Canada to run get-out-the-vote campaigns in the 2017 B.C. provincial election, including deploying a throng of campaign workers in the riding of Green Party Leader Andrew Weaver. After his election, the B.C. government would be in the hands of an NDP/Green alliance bent on fighting the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.

WWF+Gerald Butts+Trudeau.... Connect the dots. This is not good.

In 7 months we have a federal Election. Liberals need BC for a majority. BC actually has a way to put the brakes on this.

Kinda annoying to listen to all the sport fishermen at last nights SFAC meeting spend time to ***** about the Herring fishery, Fish Farms and gill nets. Honestly seemed more worry about all that then our own closures. Guess the ENGO media is really powerful.

well hope your happy with a catch and release fishery because that all Vancouver going to get this year.

Kinda annoying to listen to all the sport fishermen at last nights SFAC meeting spend time to ***** about the Herring fishery, Fish Farms and gill nets. Honestly seemed more worry about all that then our own closures. Guess the ENGO media is really powerful.

well hope your happy with a catch and release fishery because that all Vancouver going to get this year.
Don't know why that would be annoying as those are three major contributors to the problem and must be addressed.

Don't know why that would be annoying as those are three major contributors to the problem and must be addressed.

Have you personally ever talked face to face a DFO manager about those topics??

Last edited:
Back