Rain Gear

mhbradley

Any recommendations for some waterproof jackets?

I have a HH Armor bib and it seems to do the trick well enough, but my Weather Watch jacket by Gage just can't seem to keep me dry on extremely wet days.

I can't afford the Simms Gore-Tex jacket that my buddy has, but I can't get soaked every time we go out fishing... any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Not bibs but when we were zip lining in Hawaii they supplied Columbia brand rain jackets. Were fantastic. Kept us dry, and did not get wet from sweat. Breathed.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Pro-Qualifier-GORETEX-Rain-Bibs-for-Men/product/10210289/

I got the bibs when i was there last time have had 2 seasons on these bibs and always DRY im rather impressed with them I already had a gore tex jacket thats about 6 years old now so didnt need the matching jacket if your near a store id check them out ...

I only use them during salmon season as I have the good old HH green with the orange liner inside that i use for halibut and they keep me dry as well a working mans bibs not pretty but works.

The new bass pro coming near the ferry terminal cant come soon enough...

Good luck Wolf

I have used the new Rapala Interface Rain Suit for last guiding season, stuff is bullet proof and good price. You can get both the bib pants and jacket. The pants fit 1 size larger than you normally take. I usually get an XXL, but for the suit I got an XXL jacket and an XL bib.

http://rapala.ca/products/interface-rain-jacket

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all of the input.

I will be watching the bass pro website for sales... $200 regular price for a Gore-Tex jacket is unreal.

Just looked and read more on the pants and jackets wolf mentioned, they look like a great product! Lots of good reviews on them too.

Just snuck out for a quick noon hour workout and strolled by Atmosphere right down by First and Burrard. They are advertising a "Massive Clearance" sale....may find something good in there? I saw some Helly rain wear just inside the door but they have all sorts of stuff; may be worth a look? I've used a fairly simple North Face shell in the past which has served well in torrential rain off WCVI and won't break the bank. I have Simms now but some of those companies like North Face, Columbia, etc may have something suitable at Atmosphere?

I have the rapala rain gear it's great light breaths the bids fit really big so I can swim Inside my large pair

Try our friends @ Trotac Marine...I heard a little birdie humming a verse "Huge April 18th Sale"

It's pretty tough to beat the Grunden's (Gage) line of rain gear. Going on 4 years with my shell pant and jacket. Still no leaks rips or tears. I wouldn't hesitate to buy again, and have recommended the product to many people. It is quality stuff. PNT carries it I believe. I could be wrong about the store, but not the gear, though both are quality.

It's pretty tough to beat the Grunden's (Gage) line of rain gear. Going on 4 years with my shell pant and jacket. Still no leaks rips or tears. I wouldn't hesitate to buy again, and have recommended the product to many people. It is quality stuff. PNT carries it I believe. I could be wrong about the store, but not the gear, though both are quality.

You are quite right about the store. PNT has lots of it in stock. I almost switched this year but I am a die hard HH user and have tons of it.

I did pick up the Gage duffle bag at PNT. That thing is flippin HUGE!!! It fits all my cloths and bedding for a weekend at the Beam.

I have a couple go-to jackets...

I've got a Simms Guide Jacket that is about 5 years old now. It is bulletproof, but pricey. It hurt a bit to make the initial investment but I wear it a lot. I fish a fair amount from a float tube or inflatable boat on lakes, and I wad a fair bit for steelhead. The jacket still looks brand new. Great quality stuff, very breathable, and it keeps me dry in any weather.

Cabela's Rain Suede - Okay, it's camo... so the fish won't see you coming. I know some guys hate camo stuff, but I hunt too so it makes sense for me. I've had a set of parka and pants for 12 years now and I can't wear them out. It's amazing stuff. No, it doesn't breathe quite as well as Gore-Tex, but I'd say its about 90% as good. I have been in some TOTAL DELUGES out in the bush, hunkered down in a clearcut, or hangin' off a tree with nowhere to hide. This kit has never leaked on me. I'm not spending tons of money on gear I wear in the bush because **** happens and clothes get destroyed. It made sense to me to get a cheaper set of breathable gear for hunting. The stuff comes on sale pretty often too.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/44690/cabelas-rain-suede-evolution-packable-rainwear-parka

I just checked out the Bass-Pro bibs that Wolf suggested and DAMN those look great. I was thinking of going with the Simms bibs, but these are HALF THE PRICE!

One trick I learned long back... if I know it's gonna be a wet day on the boat, I just thrown on an old pair of Simms Freestone GoreTex waders I have had for about 15 years. They keep me dry and warm. I wear my rubber soled wading boots and everything is golden... until I have to ****.

I just checked out the Bass-Pro bibs that Wolf suggested and DAMN those look great. I was thinking of going with the Simms bibs, but these are HALF THE PRICE!

Ya.....I was impressed looking at the Bass Pro ones too; big thing for me though is I would want to try them on as SO many pants have different cuts to them. I'm 6'2" and about 200 or so...NOT 'round'...hahaha........I just have found some cut very "straight" and they sure aren't comfortable to move around in.

I have the Simms Pro-Dry pants and hands down they are the best I have ever owned. I've had some Mustang Pants (think that's what they were), Wetskins, two pairs of Helly Offshore Sailing pants and the Simms blows them all away. One of the biggest things for me is I find them easy to move around in and they don't 'bind' at all or restrict movement. For example even just stepping from the deck of the boat up on to a dock....I love that one feels much more free moving in them; my last Helly Pants were terrible for that. Simms are water tight as they come, good warming pockets, comfortable suspender straps, reinforced in the right areas, are VERY light and I love the full zip from the ankle up to your hip.

I have worn North Face and shells like that from companies in the past but this year have ordered this jacket from Simms. http://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/outerwear/slick-jacket.html Although it is a bit more 'river' type oriented it is a bit longer through the body than the G4 and the thing I like as opposed to the ProDry and Contender jacket which are geared more to 'offshore' type fishing is that the collar on the front is not ridiculously high. Tried on both of the aforementioned and those high collars if zipped up high will have a serious effect on getting a beverage to your mouth....haha. Only other thing I preferred about the Slick was that it's not as bulky as the 'offshore' jackets.

Ya.....I was impressed looking at the Bass Pro ones too; big thing for me though is I would want to try them on as SO many pants have different cuts to them. I'm 6'2" and about 200 or so...NOT 'round'...hahaha........I just have found some cut very "straight" and they sure aren't comfortable to move around in.

I have the Simms Pro-Dry pants and hands down they are the best I have ever owned. I've had some Mustang Pants (think that's what they were), Wetskins, two pairs of Helly Offshore Sailing pants and the Simms blows them all away. One of the biggest things for me is I find them easy to move around in and they don't 'bind' at all or restrict movement. For example even just stepping from the deck of the boat up on to a dock....I love that one feels much more free moving in them; my last Helly Pants were terrible for that. Simms are water tight as they come, good warming pockets, comfortable suspender straps, reinforced in the right areas, are VERY light and I love the full zip from the ankle up to your hip.

Ha! I have a similar issue, but just the opposite. It seems there are lots of options for truly big guys - like the XXL and XXXL options, or "stout" as the wader sizes go. There are options for tall thin dudes too because waders and the occassional set of rain gear can be ordered in "TALL". But me, well shoot, I got blessed with a short frame and I'm not particularly slim. With a 30" inseam, that puts me into a medium in most bibs or pants, and they only fit a 32" to 34" waist. I'm a 36" to 38" waist, but that slides me up to a large if I don't want to be crammed into the pants so tight I have to **** every 10 minutes. Of course the large size means I'm standing on my uffs all day. Most good raingear comes with some kind of velcro, snap, or OMG - BONUS - full leg zippers. That means I can't hem the legs like I can with a pair of jeans.

Crap - now I've got myself talked into a salad for lunch so I can fit into some decent rain gear. ARGGGGG

I have the rapala rain gear it's great light breaths the bids fit really big so I can swim Inside my large pair

Where can you buy this famed Rapala raingear? I'm in Victoria. I'm thinking in the mediums are big, then they might be short enough and WIDE enough for me!

Crap - now I've got myself talked into a salad for lunch so I can fit into some decent rain gear. ARGGGGG

Hahahahahaha. :D

Franko....I do share one issue in that I do have a longer trunk and definitely shorter inseam for a guy who is 6'2". My Simms pants are a touch long but if wearing boots I can do up the Velcro relatively tight to the ankle and it saves stomping around on the cuffs all day. Other thing that does work is flip the cuff up and Velcro it that way. With the way the Simms are designed the water will come out of the cuff and you won't have a little moat around your ankles. :p

What about looking for some waist high pants and adding suspenders to them? Not the best solution.....personally I prefer the "bib" by a long shot whether it is raining or not. Although she doesn't use suspenders on them my gal has some good weather pants that are waist height and of all places she got them in the little general store in Kyuquot one year.

You gotta think somewhere that there is a good tailor who could do some work on the lower end of some pants to make them work for ya. Are there any manufacturers of outdoor gear over on your side?

Where can you buy this famed Rapala raingear? I'm in Victoria. I'm thinking in the mediums are big, then they might be short enough and WIDE enough for me!

Franko.....these ones do look to be cut a bit more generously. http://rapala.ca/products/interface-rain-bib-pant

Unless someone knows where they've seen some you may have to call around to your local dealers for it.

http://rapala.ca/rapala-stores

Hey Franko....also just did a Google search og big and tall rain gear. Basspro does have it as part of their search criteria. Have a look on left side further down on this page if it doesn't display properly.

http://t.basspro.com/Big-Tall-Big-Tall/Clothing-Men-s-Clothing-Rain-Gear/_/N-1z0vcwaZ1z0ustk

These look to have a generous cut, I think slightly different than the ones wolf mentioned. http://t.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-100MPH-GORETEX-Rain-Bibs-for-Men/product/98015/

Back