Radar Reflector

Nugget

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a radar reflector. I have a 17.5ft Malibu Tyee and would like to see a little more safe out in the fog.

Any recommendations? Anyone have any interesting mounting locations/techniques?

Cheers

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a radar reflector. I have a 17.5ft Malibu Tyee and would like to see a little more safe out in the fog.

Any recommendations? Anyone have any interesting mounting locations/techniques?

Cheers
The Davis type reflector is good for the money and easy to stow. Mount in the "catch rain" position as high as possible.

I have a davis on an old aluminum javelin, I don't know what it looks like to others.
I tend to not go offshore if it's already foggy and just troll at the closest available spot. If I get stuck out there when the fog rolls in, I go slow and pay attention. My boat is open and a tiller so I can hear well and have good agility to move out of the way. I have a whistle on my life vest ready if halibut fishing in fog. I hate fog and don't trust guys with radar running around full bore only looking at their gps.

I decided against the tube type reflector as I had read they weren't as good. I did a similar attachment as civano but used a top section of an aluminum ski pole, stainless clamps and custom bracket to attach to reflector. Not particularly pretty but works!
I use this Octahedral type https://www.ahoycaptain.com/plastimo_10074.html and just leave it secured in one of the rocket launchers. It is removable and adjustable to catch rain position plus can be placed higher .

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
I've got the Davis and set it up just like Civano on a 5' Aluminum paint pole that extends to 10' and mount it in a rod holder. Been told that it looks like a Christmas tree all lit up on other peoples radar.

Sweet thanks for the info!!! Only issue is I don’t have any rod holders in the front of my boat (no railings) and the back holders will be in use with rods :)

I will try to jimmy rig something and maybe attach it to the pole of my soft top.

Obviously the higher the better I assume.

Thanks

Back