Radar mounting ideas

Enniberg

I am looking for ideas how to mount a radome on this boat without spending hundreds on a Scanstrut or similar radar mount. Boat has a skip tower.
Anyone have ideas or pictures to share?

f6t82.jpg

Why not just bolt it directly to the roof.

Attachments

• Grady-White-C3.jpg
    Grady-White-C3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Grady-White-G7.jpg
    Grady-White-G7.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 75
Why not just bolt it directly to the roof.

Sure like that idea from a cost perspective! :)
How do you ensure that the radar is angled correctly for when the boat is running?

4 degrees is probably the most common setup and either that or seven degrees should work, perhaps depending in part on when you plan to mostly use the RADAR at idle/trolling speeds, or up on plane.
I actually got up on my top and used an angle finder to get level while running. I bought a fixed 6 degree mount and still wound up adding another 1/8" of shim to get the radar picture I was looking for. I'm about 8 degrees down angle now, running at normal speed. I want to see what's in front of me while running at night or in fog out as far as I can. My unit picks up bouy's, kayaks, big boat wakes, and even mooring balls, so I'm happy. I think trial and error will get you what you're looking for.

4 degrees is probably the most common setup and either that or seven degrees should work, perhaps depending in part on when you plan to mostly use the RADAR at idle/trolling speeds, or up on plane.
I actually got up on my top and used an angle finder to get level while running. I bought a fixed 6 degree mount and still wound up adding another 1/8" of shim to get the radar picture I was looking for. I'm about 8 degrees down angle now, running at normal speed. I want to see what's in front of me while running at night or in fog out as far as I can. My unit picks up bouy's, kayaks, big boat wakes, and even mooring balls, so I'm happy. I think trial and error will get you what you're looking for.

What does that fixed 6 degree mount look like? Is it just a pad of some sort?
I am sure there will be some trial and error I get this right. Buying electronics is the easy part - figuring out how to mount it is much harder :) I will also have to sort out how to run the wiring.

forward tilt to compensate while on step , most critical accuracy needed imo , helps see targets way ahead of you , not pointing towards the sky on step !!
have had this one for 10 years , still like new ...
9-10 boats in my marina , are sloped forward , also works great on troll , but notice , a much better target 240dg in front of you , than back of you if that makes sense , you lose a tiny bit behind you perhaps , i have an older radar dome , not a 3G , could be different ?
interesting hearing personal opinions though...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SeaScan-Ma...=item3d81c6378c:g:42AAAOSwG1NahZlN:rk:11:pf:0

fd

Last edited:
Personally I’ve found I use my radar more while going at low speeds. Sometimes on step but not often. I’d say it’s 80/20. As a result, I mounted my dome considering the flattest plain while at low speed. No forward cant. I dropped it directly on my hardtop with no spacers or shims. It sits parallel to the water at slow speeds. My set up is the same as the Grady photo with the Garmin dome. It works perfectly.

I’d go for a small powder coated platform. That way you’re not necessarily obligated to play with wedges if orientation suits your needs as is, or if you do find you need a wedge, easy to stick one in there. Plus, it gets the nasty RF radiation output a bit higher then head level....better to die from cell phone use then radar use....ha ha

Here’s a pic of my first Arima and the radar orientation——I think I paid under $ 100 for the platform

3B8D0B5C-8FD9-493F-ADEE-098AA900B64D.jpeg

My second Arima had the rocket launcher/radar platform combo—-nice to have but yes, would be speedy to have one dabbed up:

Attachments

• B1894E2F-00F6-458C-B1F2-9C46BE01F9DF.jpeg
    B1894E2F-00F6-458C-B1F2-9C46BE01F9DF.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Plus, it gets the nasty RF radiation output a bit higher then head level....better to die from cell phone use then radar use
If you have Broadband radar you don't have to worry about this.

there are no rocket launchers on the boat as is, but I suppose that a radar has to be mounted above those if I was to add them?

Back