Radar and Tower Suggestions?

SaltyAlice

I’m looking at adding radar to my boat (Weldcraft Rebel 202) so I can play a little safer around the west coast. In order to do this I need to:
1) figure out what sort of tower to add
2) choose a radar solution. I have a Simrad Evo3 on-board currently handling charts, depth etc.

Any advice on towers and radar for a boat my size would be much appreciated!

I put one of these on my Double Eagle 185 a few years ago. It was fairly easy to install and excellent quality... probably strong enough to do chin-ups on! Pairing your Simrad with a Lowrance/Simrad 3G radar would be easy. Here's the link to the arch:

https://www.atlantictowers.com/products_fishing_arch.php

I’m looking at adding radar to my boat (Weldcraft Rebel 202) so I can play a little safer around the west coast. In order to do this I need to:
2) choose a radar solution. I have a Simrad Evo3 on-board currently handling charts, depth etc.

If money is no issue I’d say who dat towers down in WA is probably the best. Search for @ILHG Post on his tower build. Thing of beauty.

Pierre at Poco Marine custom built a radar tower for me. Very solid, larger diameter pipe than what I have seen from Atlantic towers . I think 2". Price was competitive. Black powder coat finish still looks great after 10 years. Have received a lot of positive comments.

Was going to order from an eastern supplier, found out freight is very expensive due to weight and bulk of the towers. Nowadays US exchange is much worse.

I suggest talking to a local fabricatorwith a good reputation.

CC72BA42-BE92-45F0-AC13-4BE4DDB018F6.jpeg 8E5980B1-A104-4C6C-9466-303373586477.jpeg CC72BA42-BE92-45F0-AC13-4BE4DDB018F6.jpeg 8E5980B1-A104-4C6C-9466-303373586477.jpeg

I ended up just going with a Fishon Sports Arc.... about 1/2 the price of any custom I could find or get a quote on. Overall I’m very happy with the fit and finish of the arch. I did upgrade a bit of the hardware as I twisted a few off. I also had some 3/16th plates cut for top and bottom of the gunnel to make things stronger .... likely not needed but I wanted to be sure.

All of my connections for radar and lights have plugs so I can un plug and remove the entire arch for inland fishing in about 10 mins.

The arch is set so that when my cover is on I can easily access the rod holders.

View attachment 45453 View attachment 45454 View attachment 45453 View attachment 45454

I ended up just going with a Fishon Sports Arc.... about 1/2 the price of any custom I could find or get a quote on. Overall I’m very happy with the fit and finish of the arch. I did upgrade a bit of the hardware as I twisted a few off. I also had some 3/16th plates cut for top and bottom of the gunnel to make things stronger .... likely not needed but I wanted to be sure.

All of my connections for radar and lights have plugs so I can un plug and remove the entire arch for inland fishing in about 10 mins.

The arch is set so that when my cover is on I can easily access the rod holders.
What brand net is that you have ?

What brand net is that you have ?

It’s an ‘RS Net’ ... it was expensive but has lifetime warranty. I’ve been through a few nets over the years and have no regrets about getting one.

Mine is the Kelly Island with the extendable handle so I can get around the pod.

It’s a bit big for walleye and pike etc but does well on salmon to 30 lbs and Halibut to 45 fit, I haven’t been able to hook anything bigger to try it lol.

I got a fish on sports arch. It was the best price I could find. Quality isn’t amazing, some sharp edges on the rod holders that needed filing, low accuracy machining, like not all rod holders are at the same height. Some are 1/4” high some 1/4” low or 5* off plumb. Overall it does the job for me. Just keep your eyes on the tightness of all fasteners, they seem to loosen off

I had Bolten Stainless in Vernon build an arch and rod holder. Worked with them on a design and they built it and did a great job. Worth a call and would definitely recommend..

I had Bolten Stainless in Vernon build an arch and rod holder. Worked with them on a design and they built it and did a great job. Worth a call and would definitely recommend..

I agree, they ended up being my second choice just based on price. They were about double the price what the fish on arch was but that said it would have been custom built so there is value in that.

I agree, they ended up being my second choice just based on price. They were about double the price what the fish on arch was but that said it would have been custom built so there is value in that.

Production built is definitely going to be less expensive than custom built, so it’s about whatever your looking for.

Production built is definitely going to be less expensive than custom built, so it’s about whatever your looking for.

Agree, I just couldn’t justify the cost for only 7 days a year where I need a radar .... then the arch comes off for inland fishing.

Back