Racor filter check

I would suggest draining or pumping the fuel from the tank and if the sending unit is accessible remove it and clean the tank, flush the fuel lines, check the breather again(maybe it has issues again). All this is not that big of a deal to do and likely save you issues in the future. Oh, and carry a spare Racor with you at all times, they work great but if they absorb enough water they will stop fuel flow to the pump which is what they are designed to do. If it gets that bad it will leave you stranded if you don't have another filter to replace it with

Hi Dave I added another pickup tube into my 2359 fuel tank toward the rear of the tank there are a couple of extra ports.
So when the nose is jacked up on the trailer I can use an outboard siphon bulb on fuel line with a quick coupler to drain any water from the tank into a bucket I have the tube sized so it's right near the bottom

I still thinking your problems are because you if you don't top up your fuel at the end of each season and haven't done it for at least two seasons without changing the Racor, its built up condensation over the off seasons that has been building and then rust has settled in (not sure what your tank is though) but still I would drain the tank and clean everything up , replace with fresh fuel and racor and run it , watching the racor results ... then top up the fuel in the off season (inclusive of fuel stabalizer) and look at it next season.... might just be the fix but thats my two cents ..... Tight lines and Stay safe !!

I ran the boat a bit more, a trip out front of French creek and a rip over to sangster, fuel is cleared up it seems, the first trip out front produced a little bit and the second rip to sangster the filter bowl was pretty much just clear marked fuel. Thinking like survivor just mentioned, it was an old racor that was neglected causing the initial rusting and gunk and then some water from either condensation or it’s possible my fill cap breather could take on a bit of water when soaking the boat down on wash ups. Either way the filters did their jobs, I don’t feel a need to drain my tank or pull the sending unit or anything. Thanks for all the feedback and input hopefully it all good now. The fuel water separators sure are effective.

Last edited:
Hi Dave I added another pickup tube into my 2359 fuel tank toward the rear of the tank there are a couple of extra ports.
So when the nose is jacked up on the trailer I can use an outboard siphon bulb on fuel line with a quick coupler to drain any water from the tank into a bucket I have the tube sized so it's right near the bottom
That’s a good idea how did access the tank

Sounds like a good idea but is should not be needed because the water should not be getting in, I'd be concerned your not getting every micron and you'd think thats got to be a bad thing for the engine or its internal metals, over the long run, but thats just me and my 2 cents. Glad you caught it early it looks like and stay safe and tight lines

through the bulk head plate in the deck where the tank sender is just forward of the battery box

condensation happens normally because boats are vented to the atmophere pulls in humidity
cars/trucks are sealed systems so it doesn't happen
ehtanol attracts water vapour as well to make matters worse.

Back