Racor filter check

We were dead in the water half way between QCI and Dutch Harbour in a big storm once. Cleaning water from filters(diesel) in a hot engine room is no fun when you are already seasick and now the boat is flopping in the trough.
The point is we either got bad fuel in Massett, or the seas stirred up some old bad fuel, or seawater got in the vents due to all the combers coming over the top and running down the decks, or there was a breach in a tank/line cap/vent, or someone squirted water in the tank while washing the deck (doubtful).
It had to come from somewhere. Rust makes me think from the gas station or a fuel dock last year somewhere in your case.

Why does rust make you think gas station, is this common, the rust is what I’m most concerned with?

Was thinking to run the boat and then check the racor but now wondering if it should go to the shop.

Buddy had a 17' DE that sucked in **** tons of water crossing to Gabe once.

Why does rust make you think gas station, is this common, the rust is what I’m most concerned with?
Unless the inside of the old Racor is rusty, has to be from the supplier, no?
Let us know if you solve the mystery.

Unless the inside of the old Racor is rusty, has to be from the supplier, no?
Let us know if you solve the mystery.

Can the inside of the filters rust, this was my first thought was that I let the racor go way way to long. All the rust came from the racor the merc fuel/water separator was fairly clean but did have water but the filter is clean looking not the racor73ABAE5B-CCD7-492B-911C-A930D7A72457.jpeg

Was there salt water contact with the Racor? I wonder if the filter jacket’s been corroding. There seems to be rust between the black area and the filter jacket.

Was just researching sounds pretty common for the racor to rust and since I neglected mine, think I used that filter for 2 summers plus sitting through the winter. This could explain the rust as I’d have some amount of water in that time frame. Also thinking maybe I picked up some water on my last fill up, it was marked fuel and maybe we’ll see, have to run the boat and then check the racor for water.

Take an extra element or two and find a calm day to run some fuel through the filter and engines.
Check the bowl often, but unless you're tank connections are rusted so bad they are allowing pooled water to enter your fuel tank, you are most likely okay.
If bowl is clean, take it out on a rough day for a short rip and see is there is sediment from the bottom of the fuel tank getting trapped in the racor.
I love excuses to run fuel through engines.

Ran the boat on Wednesday for the day, went from French Creek over time lasquieti young point area for some prawning and jigging. Boat ran perfectly there and back. Drained off the racor bowl to see and there was a bit of water but no rust or gunky particulate this time. I’m guess I neglected that racor way to long and it rusted itself out from water. Thinking I’m good, just need to check racor each outing for a bit until in runs clean. I didn’t take off the fuel water filter on the motor but thinking it’s mist likely fine as racor wasn’t over filled with water. 3608C5F3-BCC4-417B-9BAF-739E3060599A.jpeg

Ya there must be a fair amount of water in your tank as that is not a little bit of water if you just changed your filter. Good thing is the filter is doing it’s job but I would certainly have a spare on board with me and drain the bowl every time out until it hopefully clears up. Any chance your getting water in through the vent?

Ya there must be a fair amount of water in your tank as that is not a little bit of water if you just changed your filter. Good thing is the filter is doing it’s job but I would certainly have a spare on board with me and drain the bowl every time out until it hopefully clears up. Any chance your getting water in through the vent?
I had that issue when I first bought the boat about 10 years ago, was a bad problem. Turned out the fuel fill which had the breather built in was a recall issue. Had a new fuel fill put in and no problems since

I was looking at my cap with the recent water problem and can’t recall if the little space or void is normal D303E23B-63FE-42F0-B84E-090EF5E7F6E4.jpeg

Looks like it’s intended to be like that..... if that’s a break it’s perfectly straight no edginess roughness

Ran the boat on Wednesday for the day, went from French Creek over time lasquieti young point area for some prawning and jigging. Boat ran perfectly there and back. Drained off the racor bowl to see and there was a bit of water but no rust or gunky particulate this time. I’m guess I neglected that racor way to long and it rusted itself out from water. Thinking I’m good, just need to check racor each outing for a bit until in runs clean. I didn’t take off the fuel water filter on the motor but thinking it’s mist likely fine as racor wasn’t over filled with water. View attachment 53372

Were you able to tell if it was salt water or fresh?

Back