Race for the Blue Tuna Shoot-out-

Glad to see you were able to get into some fish w/ crew #2 but .... I’m sure I can’t be the only one wondering how many days/posts it’s going to be before you circle back and tell us what happened with Captain #1??!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Ukee

This has to be the longest post on SortfishingBC history. Not in length but in days to tell this story. This all started Sept 25

Glad to see you were able to get into some fish w/ crew #2 but .... I’m sure I can’t be the only one wondering how many days/posts it’s going to be before you circle back and tell us what happened with Captain #1??!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Ukee

To this day not one of us has spoken to the first capt. I believe that being off shore is not forever one.. this maybe one of those cases.. The last time the boys did see his was when they were going thru Active paas adn pass him as he was going home and they were heading to tofino... :)

This has to be the longest post on SortfishingBC history. Not in length but in days to tell this story. This all started Sept 25

Been really busy catching up on everything as it was a long summer and as u know a shat show regarding all the fisheries stuff... plus what fun would it be if i just laid it out there:D

we found the fish had some size to them..
20180914_075608(0)_resized_1.jpg
20180914_103036_resized.jpg
20180914_103050_resized.jpg

Picked up about 10 fish where the fleet had been and as fast as it started turned off and the weather had start pick up... sso we decide to move about 20 miles south to where we start the day before to give it a turn as it was going to be a long run home to weigh in...
20180914_114418_resized.jpg
we got to yesterdays spot and we were able to put a couple more in the boat of notable sizes and a few more that dropped off... weather had flatten down we we were but to the north west it start to brew up...
20180914_123341_resized.jpg
A forecast to what was coming....
20180914_133423_resized.jpg

20180914_140659_resized_1.jpg

Mike giving the Grunden rain gear a test run....thinking its time to go as we started to get hit with some pretty weird weather fronts.... So figuring we had some quality fish ..we pulled the pin and time to get are butt home for the weigh in....
20180914_145837_resized_1.jpg

Looks like some tasty tuna!
How’d the weigh in go?!
Obviously I’ll find out tomorrow ;)

Derby,
Great thread man. I have been out with health and personal reasons most of the summer. I finally got around to logging in to here and reading your story. Outstanding job so far. Great commentary and photos dude. It has been a pleasure reading so far. I really miss the offshore stuff. I will get back out there next year for sure. Keep up the good work bud :cool:.
Cheers,
John

Derby,
Great thread man. I have been out with health and personal reasons most of the summer. I finally got around to logging in to here and reading your story. Outstanding job so far. Great commentary and photos dude. It has been a pleasure reading so far. I really miss the offshore stuff. I will get back out there next year for sure. Keep up the good work bud :cool:.
Cheers,
John

great to hear from u my friend.... Hopefully it will be a better season then this year..look forward to seeing u out on the grounds :) :)

soo the trip home... I can best say it was the craziest trip that i have even been on as mother nature wasn't going to give us a free ride home... Big swell, flat water.. total hay stacker waves and in that mix a couple rogue waves for good luck.. Great boat driving bye Myles & Mike..... We were able to tuck in the back way into Tofino to make the weigh in....

20180914_193950_resized.jpg

So we were able to pull our 4 best fish to take the top of the leader board and the also the biggest fish of the shoot out todate.. with 1 day left in the even.. the sat.. :eek:
20180915_190314_resized.jpg
Sat. was what seemed a long day.. but we had fish to deal with and maybe a rum & coke or 2 :)
20180915_141746_resized.jpg
20180915_141754_resized.jpg
20180915_141801_resized.jpg

Awesome win Derby and a great story. Thanks

Great story and congrats on the win, I've always wanted to try tuna fishing but I've never gotten/made a chance/opportunity yet!! Early next year I turn 50 so maybe I'll buy myself that NR 2500 or 2700 OS series boat I've been looking at. We still have no idea what happened to the first captain though lol, some things are better left unsaid I guess.

On a second note, what kind of boat is this? A Boston Whaler?

iafvKZS.jpg

Last edited:
We still don't know what happen to the first capt. either .. best guess he could handle not seeing land.. its a little different when your 80 miles out ones mind can go into over drive...

that boat is Willie Mitchel out from Florida... I didn't catch the type...Mike do u remember what it was?

Great story and congrats on the win, I've always wanted to try tuna fishing but I've never gotten/made a chance/opportunity yet!! Early next year I turn 50 so maybe I'll buy myself that NR 2500 or 2700 OS series boat I've been looking at. We still have no idea what happened to the first captain though lol, some things are better left unsaid I guess.

On a second note, what kind of boat is this? A Boston Whaler?

iafvKZS.jpg

Mako?

Back