Race for the Blue Tuna Shoot-out-

Okay okay.... Sooo where was I? Oh as we were packing up our vehicles figuring the boat is gone were done.:eek: Well we were informed because i was the designated captain that we could actually bring a another boat in play .... My Grady was sitting in Alberni we could get it up by late afternoon if we wanted... Problem being fishing was super slow and what was being caught was a long range out..70 to 90 miles out in most cases.. My 232 has a max a fuel range of 70 miles around trip safely...
20180911_051834_resized.jpg

this was the leader board after the first three days with a lot of boats out for the over niter that haven't return to weigh yet.... A lot of peanuts out there if they bit..we couldn't weigh any fish under either 9 or 10 lbs in believe....hmm homeward bound we went..So i believe this is how it went.. ( Mike u can correct me) on the way home Mike made a call to him Dad who has a beauty boat..i have had the pleasure of jumping aboard it a couple times.... I won't quote what mikes dad said when he heard a story but I can say i received a call on the journey home saying were are back ??? Say what?? so a plan was hatched.. as we were talking Mike received some Intel regarding where some tuna may be had..Thank U Owen .. pic was sent.. interesting.
IMG_3816.jpg

I was asked if i had any contacts in the area.. i believe I did as I had a buddy from high school that we grad together was a owner of a lodge in the area.. made a call.. good news yes the tuna were there and the fleet just left to go back on the tuna.. a couple more question asked.. I'll call u tomorrow was what I said last..It was nice catching up with him..it had been a few years :)

Got a call from Mike a 6:00 from Vancouver..where off the dock in 15 minutes...really ?? yup !.. what time will u back in Tofino in the morning.... should be there 9ish ...Okaay then..see then :)
Resized_20180906_194051_2494.jpeg

Mike & Myles and the new crew hit Victoria for the over night ... docked in Tofino just around 9 in the morning. Al and I were late..dam road construction.. :)
20180913_104430_resized.jpg
Blam the new ride..... just add ice & fuel and where should we go??

Okay..sooo.. as we were loading the boat my buddy Al & i were assigned ice duty..we quickly slipped over to the plant to find out it was down and had been since yesterday..oh crap..Al was was able to some how pull a half tote of the last ice on the dock..:)..hmm luck seems to be changing.... load up ...now where do we go.. I made a call to my Buddy Greg for some more Intel.. they're here ;) I believe there catching..about 28 to 38 miles off shore.. The weather forecast was excellent conditions today with it picking up tomorrow to 5 to 10 knots late afternoon..well we are off:D

Clear the harbor.
20180913_110029_resized.jpg

hmmm right turn Clyde.... looks likes we're in for a run...
20180913_114404_resized.jpg
as you can see ..really shittie seas:eek:
20180913_111506_resized.jpg

4 hr plus later we find a couple commercial boats close to were we had heard soem many by..temp looks good.. we dump the gear in... see jumpers everywhere ..pods here and there best life we have seen so far ..mostly peanuts,.. but snap seems to be a few around.. then pow fish on...wait wait wait double header...

20180913_145307_resized.jpg

one in the boat second on its way..

20180913_150241_resized_1.jpg

there is something really sweet when u final get on the fish... got the second fish

there was enough surface action that Mike had set up poppers casting rods on the bow and gave that a spin..o_O

20180913_174024_resized.jpg

..nothing would come to the poppers..got a single here ..a single there teeners and some peanuts..cover a bit of ground great signs but afternoon sun..Maybe??
20180913_165728_resized_1.jpg
Boxed 6 fish..but we had still not found the fleet and it was now starting to get a little late... ran another 20 miles ...and there they were .we had found 20 plus commercial boats working this particular area.:D

Dumped then gearrr and not a bite... a morning thing???hmm
20180913_181557_resized.jpg
.. okay.. we need to grab fuel..
20180913_190142_resized.jpg

got a say ..feels pretty dam great when a plan comes together seems to be some fish around... but we had plan out the next day...who knows what that would bring?
20180913_160509_resized.jpg

So we went to fuel up the tub.. 600 litres later and started to figure out the plan for the next morning...
20180913_193856_resized.jpg

It was a beauty of days and lots of miles...
20180913_194609_resized.jpg

20180913_202237_resized.jpg

We dug out some in-tell & the day before was best and actually it had slowed down a bit but what colour zuker they were on......So in the dark in the we hrs of the morning we did the slow cruise to where we found the whole commercial fleet figuring that was the best place to start in the morning.... It was a little more sloppie with the wind forecast calling for 5 to 15 knot winds..
20180914_045138_resized.jpg
at the crack of dawn we were still short bye 15 miles so we quickly closed that gap
20180914_071052_resized.jpg
Dumped the gear in the water.. cruise ship visited use... :)

the commercial fleet had moved for the most part..and were more spread out with about half the boats that we saw in the afternoon...
20180914_074933_resized.jpg
we quickly found out that were fish in the area..maybe not smoking red hot.... but game on :)
20180914_103820_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Back