Question

Normfish

How does one keep those plastic things from sliding up and down the down rigger cable. I have them on right. Do they wear out?
Talking about the auto shutoff things and use the same ones for holding release clips .
Thanks

On braid or steel? The braid uses the red Scotty stopper beads, not the same ones for steel cable I double up the red ones just to be safe, I think some people may glue them in place . Two always seem to hold for me

Best thing to do is get rid of them and use a set-up like this I have now even lost the swivel. The knot now becomes the stopper and the clip is out of the way when you bring up your gear. Just measure where you want your Downrigger ball to be when it hits the stop.

IMG_3928.JPG IMG_3929.JPG IMG_3930.JPG IMG_3931.JPG IMG_3932.JPG

What Casper said.

Fewer and fewer are using those plastic clips. Especially with high speed riggers as they bend, slide and pop off and even putting one on steel cable tends to create a weak spot in the cable where it may tend to break a strand at a later date. If the stopper clips fall off and you do not notice it, you may loose your ball etc. when the terminal gear slams into the pulley. They are in my opinion, old technology and have been replaced by rigger terminal tackle systems that have a permanent tripping system built into them. There are now a number of commercial systems available at the tackle stores including one that is now marketed by Scotty. They are also very easy to make using various cords, crimps. snubers. tube covers and swivels etc.

Last edited:
What Casper said.

Fewer and fewer are using those plastic clips. Especially with high speed riggers as they bend, slide and pop off and even putting one on steel cable tends to create a weak spot in the cable where it may tend to break a strand at a later date. If the stopper clips fall off and you do not notice it, you may loose your ball etc. when the terminal gear slams into the pulley. They are in my opinion, old technology and have been replaced by rigger terminal tackle systems that have a permanent tripping system built into them. There are now a number of commercial systems available at the tackle stores including one that is now marketed by Scotty. They are also very easy to make using various cords, crimps. snubers. tube covers and swivels etc.
I only use them for stacking because I have the tuna chord deal for my low rod. One for the clip then two higher up for the stopper. Take them off when I'm not stacking. I considered doing a second 20' piece of braid with another tuna chord that I could clip on when stacking but have yet to try it.

Just noticed in the last picture another thing that's changed is I don't use the bumper, the ball hook, or the snubber. Just a loop that loops over the ball, Just less stuff to loose, break, or buy.

Thank you so much for your answers, you guys are the best .
I do have stainless line so I'm guessing the knot thing will not work

yep you will need the appropriate crimps and just crimp several crimps for strength to a high quality swivel to the end of your line, then proceed with the above mentioned system which is awesome and i’m totally copying.
i have the premade scotty tuna cord setup with the built in d/r release clip, which works well, but this is a game changer. less hassle the better.

I saw something very similar years ago on old episode of sportsfishing bc with mark pendlington and i’ve been hoping to find the diagram ever since.

thanks @casper5280

Just noticed in the last picture another thing that's changed is I don't use the bumper, the ball hook, or the snubber. Just a loop that loops over the ball, Just less stuff to loose, break, or buy.

Lots of people go very basic like that or you can spend more and make a more sophisticated system like some of the commercial made systems. I will confess to sometimes being lazy and buying the greatly overpriced commercial made systems.

When we stack I don't bother with the stopper clips. We just remember to stop it before hitting the stacker. If you screw up and don't stop it in time, the stacker will be pushed down when it reaches the pully and you may need to put a new yellow tip on the stacker release clip at the cable if it is really bad because particularly the steel cable will wear a grove in it if it goes any distance. That is not that big a deal compared to the release clip for the fishing line where you need the yellow tip very smooth for clean line releases. A few groves in the yellow tip is not a problem at the cable end.

Last edited:
What Casper said.

Interesting setup. You actually attach your clip line to the swivel and everything comes up together? No issues going thru end of rigger bar pulley? I might try this, can see how it would get more out of the way.

As I said, I don't have the swivel anymore. Even when I did have it everything goes though the pulley fine.

As I said, I don't have the swivel anymore. Even when I did have it everything goes though the pulley fine.
What kind of knot do you use now?
With an unfinned ball I'd assume you'd want a swivel in there somewhere.

We run stainless as well. Bought a pre-fab cord set up (Scotty). Cut and crimped it on. Easy. Absolutely perfect for stopping the ball at whatever length cor you have bought (we max'd out b/c I have run the boom fully out).

Last edited:
Back