Quennell Lake

I've heard great things about this lake for both smallmouth and trout. I took a drive down yellow point on sunday and its looks super fishy, would love to hear what others think about this gem so close to Nanaimo.

Been a couple years since I hit Quennel, but used to frequent it often. Bass was still top notch in my opinion, but the trout seemed to have slowed down over the last few years I fished there.
I heard rumors they stopped stocking it, so that may be a factor. I used to catch lots of nice 2-3 lbs rainbows by draggin gangtroll and firetiger quickfish. I never bonked any fish out of that lake. All C&R. It's a very nutrient rich lake for the island, low visibility, major algae blooms in summer and muddy tasting fish, pretty much year round.
Just my 2.5 cents.

Been a couple years since I hit Quennel, but used to frequent it often. Bass was still top notch in my opinion, but the trout seemed to have slowed down over the last few years I fished there.
I heard rumors they stopped stocking it, so that may be a factor. I used to catch lots of nice 2-3 lbs rainbows by draggin gangtroll and firetiger quickfish. I never bonked any fish out of that lake. All C&R. It's a very nutrient rich lake for the island, low visibility, major algae blooms in summer and muddy tasting fish, pretty much year round.
Just my 2.5 cents.

Muddy tasting is an understatement.C & R is the way to go.I used to fish the arm of the lake that runs along Cedar Road.Really shallow but lots of nice Rainbows(at one time anyways)
Dave

I spent a day on this lake last fall. I had a blast catching some bass for the first time, sure doesn't look like the island with the algae blooms...but I didnt see any gators haha.

Where do you guys launch from? Been years since I fished it and at that time used zieder-zees (I KNOW I spelled that one wrong!). Any other options? Cheers

not sure what the place is called but its the campground , number of float planes there as well.

If your launching something you can carry, (small car topper or pontoon boat) you can launch off Ritten Rd. Just look for the road to take a hard right 90 turn and look to your left down short dirt road.
This is a very small, narrow, shallow and muddy canal through the weeds to the open lake. Can be a pain in the butt during summer when waters are lower, but usually not overly bad rest of year. You just have to deside if saving a couple bucks launch fee is worth the extra effort.

Just my 2.5 cents.
I agree the water doesn't look too appetizing but it does have nice trout and bass. Only fished it once and hooked into some nice smallies but found that the boat launch keeper wasn't friendly and you have to be off the water well before dark unless your paying to camp there.

Back