Quamichan Lake

I have a friend coming to visit.Thought we would try Quamichan for a day of shore fishin.Can anyone give me some suggestions?Where to fish?What to use?Etc.Thanx folks.Good luck out there.

About the only access spots are at the end of Moose Road (behind the Moose Lodge) off Lakes Road and at Art Ross Park (past Queen of Angels School).

Don't know the success rate for shore fishing there, but take a look.

Power Bait - orange eggs - are the usual easy bait.

Alternative is Fuller Lake at the park beach. Used to be a number of regulars who would hit the lawn chairs there. Scenic and can pick up some decent trout.

I live just up the road from there .The moose dock used to be AWSOME .We got some huge trout off of there. If you can get ahold of some of the old ..." Mill Dye " , yer in buisiness. Light line and a slip bobber....

I live close by as well,Dave. A friend and I gave it a try 2 weeks ago or so. There was another guy there when we arrived at 10 am. He had been there since dawn with not a bite. We procceded fishing, using powerbait,roe,worms, on the bottom,suspended from bobbers,etc.
We fished till 2pm,and not one bite between the 3 of us. Preivious years experience has always been the same,but still can't at least
give it a try.The trout in that lake,for some reason,are extreamely lethargic,until mid to late March,when the evenings start to warm up.
When they finally"come out to play",the action can be horendous.One morning in early April,last year,I was fishing with worms,and in a
span of about 2hrs.,I had caught,and released 20 cuttys,ranging from around 1lb. to about 4lbs. What a blast!!

I fish quam lots in the spring time when the weather warms up and i normally anchor out front of the moose and lots of days you cant keep the cuttys off! thereare alot of triploids in the lake that get huge and put up a good fight

Shore fishing this time of the year can be tuff but some fish are caught using powerbait on the bottom. A floating dew worm can work well too. I troll the lake in a 12 foot Aluminum with an electric engine towing 3" Tomics and 4" Rapalas in Rainbow Trout patterns. Frog patterns work well too and you want to troll them really slow with no weight and over 100 feet of line out. Stay about 75-100 feet off the shore to avoid the weedbeds and bring a camera. Average fish we catch is 15-17 inches with a few over 20 inches. The last 2 years have been a bit slower but before that we would get double digit numbers on a regular basis.

I'm taking my daughter to Art Mann Park today and will toss out some powerbait to see if she can catch her first fish.

Noticed a few boats out there today.
Any luck? Or rather, any success based on all the skill and tricks that are being applied?

hahaha. i trolled the front of the moose lodge and caught 4 small cuttys then headed to the other end of the lake and ancored in a spot and caught 6 but you know its a ****** day when you can count how many fish you caught

hahaha. i trolled the front of the moose lodge and caught 4 small cuttys then headed to the other end of the lake and ancored in a spot and caught 6 but you know its a ****** day when you can count how many fish you caught

lol
Yeah, know the feeling.
Makes you wonder why you even bother.

Fished the lake today.Two complete laps around pullin' 3in. plugs dead slow. One 17incher on a rainbow pattern,
and one on a pearl white. Pretty slow day over all. Guess it needs to warm up up bit yet.

Try trolling out at the edge of the drop off in 24 feet of water with plugs at 18ft.....working well for us over the last 3 weeks. We are trolling quite quickly, about 2.1 mph and catching an interesting variety of cuts, regular rainbows, and Blackwater strain rainbows just stuffed with stickleback!

Thanks for the tip, Traveller. We fished the shorline mostly,in no more that 16-18ft. of water. There were no sticklebacks
in ours, but hundreds of chronomids.

That is the really interesting part of the fishing here recently...we are catching cuts, Fraser Valley Rainbows, and some others we can't yet identify that look a lot like a cross between a Kokanee and a Rainbow...the "regular rainbows" were stuffed full of medium green / olive chironomids. One was full of fresh red bloodworms. If it ever calms down, I would think it would be great bobber /chironomid fishing at the 24 foot level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah,I know what your saying.Last year,at this time I was mostly dock fishing with roe and bobber,and slayin' e'm.
The fish had small amounts of chironomids,usually those olive green type,and once in a while a stikleback or 2. This year
I've hardly had a bite off the dock up till now. The're obviously active and hungry,but seem to be more content with
feasting offshore in the deeper parts of the lake.

The best spot we have found is just off the island towards the Town House development in the drop off at 24 ft....that is where they were stuffed full of the chironomids....we will probably try bobber/ chironomid fishing this weekend.

Tried out my new ( used) tin boat today....found out there are a few leaks to deal with! Chironomid / bobber fishing sure did not work for me, even though last week the fish were stuffed with them. I went trolling with the downrigger at 20 feet and used a new small shiny Rapalla plug for an experiment....caught my largest Island Rainbow...20 1/2 inches long, 3 3/4 inches deep. I talked to another angler who started with chironomids too, but no luck for him on those at all.

Nice fish,Traveller! There are certainly some hog trout in that lake. Going to try the dock on the weekend and see if
the've moved in yet.

Back