Quadra Island Shore Fishing

Jon7Chow

Heading to Quadra for the September Long Weekend.
Any tips on some simple shore fishing? What should we bring with us? Any locations to check out?
Trying to get into this sport, so sorry if any of this is a bit simple...
We'll be staying by Rebecca Spit. Any idea what can be done there?

try and make your way to whiskey point by the quathiaski cove ferry. rocky outcropping which drops off big time. in the old days this was a famous spot to cut plug. it’s virtually a ghost town now for some reason

From where though? Again, sorry for the rookie questions. I haven't been fishing in a long time, but hoping that I can get into it.

From where though? Again, sorry for the rookie questions. I haven't been fishing in a long time, but hoping that I can get into it.

Whiskey Point is the rock outcropping point right before you enter quathiaski cove. you’ll see a very small beach that you can get a car down to. but the rocks are where you want to fish. like eric said, bring some casting jigs like a point wilson dart ( my fave ) or a buzz bomb. this used to be a mecca for the cut pluggers and moochers back in the day.

holy crap it worked. anyways go right off the ferry, in green then a right on i believe noble road or whatever. you’ll end up on a road with established older homes. go to the end. small beach access there

Attachments

• F86BA487-9032-47E8-A4B7-646DCF8A728A.png
    F86BA487-9032-47E8-A4B7-646DCF8A728A.png
    587.1 KB · Views: 66
Good to know , wife’s cousin lives on Quadra , heading there in a couple weeks

Whiskey Point is the rock outcropping point right before you enter quathiaski cove. you’ll see a very small beach that you can get a car down to. but the rocks are where you want to fish. like eric said, bring some casting jigs like a point wilson dart ( my fave ) or a buzz bomb. this used to be a mecca for the cut pluggers and moochers back in the day.
Thanks!
The map also helps. Is this also private property or anything I need to know about the area? Can anyone literally just get to the beach and start fishing?
Any recommendations on size of buzzbombs and hooks? Reading the DFO guidelines is confusing as to what you can and can't use for hooks and bait.

Not a buzz bomb fan. They came out in the late 70's & there are now better choices of jigs. The Point Wilson dart as mentioned by riverboy is a great choice. You will need a spinning reel with 15# or so line. Cast the jig out,, then jerk it in 2-3 get, then let it free-fall with slack line. Repeat this until you feel in your own judgement that the jig is getting close to the bottom where it may snag-up on the rocky bottom. You can also cast the jig, let it fall a bit, then jerk it, reel-in 4-5 feet, repeat.

You will fishing less than 50 feet deep so a jig of 3-4 ounces would be correct. They will come with treble hooks. Switching to a single siwash hook size 4/0 will be less prone to snagging on the bottom. You can also take off the treble hook on the bottom & put on what is called assist hooks on the top of the jig for fewer snags. Make sure to use a short leader of line that is of less test that you mainline so that you don't loose a lot of mainline when you snag.

Does anyone use scents or anything on Darts/buzzbombs or are these relying completely on the motion in the water to attract the fish?
Any ideas of what can be caught off the shores?

Sorry but so the us responders have focused on catching Salmon.
The deal with shore fishing is finding a sl=pot the has fish but where you won't loos lot's go read snagging on a rocky bottom.

Tie some rigs like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sho...AhX8HjQIHZgrDuAQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1499&bih=1375

Make sure that somewhere between your dropper rig & mainline is some line that is weaker than your mainline so that if you shag bottom, you just loose your dropper rig.

The sinker needs to be 1 OZ or so & the hooks size 1/0 or so. 15# mainline with 10# leader would be fine.

You cannot consume any clams in that area but they make great bait. dig some sea worms as well.

Sany areas will have Sole/Flounder & perhaps Sea Perch. I have caught these this in 4 feet of water right next to where people were standing. Rocky areas will have Rockfish, Lingcod, Cabezon, Greenling. A small chink of Herring works for these. Small crabs work.
The extreme end of Rebecca Spit has a steep sloping gravel bottom that looks fishy. That area used to be good for Coho in the last century.

Fish the high tides.

I was up at Campbell River a couple of years ago. At that time you could only use a single barbless hook and only artificial lures.
You might want to check before you put your line in the water. Fine was $100.00.

Back