Public Fishery Alliance committed to scientific and political transparency!

cohochinook

Welcome to the Public Fishery Alliance.

The public fishery in British Columbia is under significant threat due to ongoing political pressure and environmental changes. Our alliance was formed to advocate for access and opportunity to British Columbia’s public fisheries.

The Public Fishery Alliance is committed to scientific and political transparency. Our government has proven that when left to their own devices, science often takes a back seat to political priorities. It is becoming increasingly clear that the Department of Fisheries and Oceans is not acting in the best interests of all Canadians. The PFA is here to defend, protect and promote sustainable public fisheries that support social and economic values in British Columbia and the rest of Canada.

Learn more about it https://www.facebook.com/108665030783122/posts/110028017313490/

Welcome to the Public Fishery Alliance.

Learn more about it https://www.facebook.com/108665030783122/posts/110028017313490/

Good to see the Pubic Fishery Alliance group being formed. Good news to see that there is a group that wants to provide awareness and deal head on with the issues. DFO is not addressing the issues that are causing the demise of stocks of concern but rather they are taking ludicrous steps like closing ALL Chinook Salmon retention to the public fishery when science/DNA shows that our catches of the stocks of concern are virtually zero so clearly these blanket closures will do nothing to protect those early run stocks. Instead this action just causes immense damage to the BC coastal communities and the overall value that comes with the public fishery. All this because optically it looks like they are doing something but in reality done politically just to appease certain groups.

Good to see the Pubic Fishery Alliance group being formed. Good news to see that there is a group that wants to provide awareness and deal head on with the issues. DFO is not addressing the issues that are causing the demise of stocks of concern but rather they are taking ludicrous steps like closing ALL Chinook Salmon retention to the public fishery when science/DNA shows that our catches of the stocks of concern are virtually zero so clearly these blanket closures will do nothing to protect those early run stocks. Instead this action just causes immense damage to the BC coastal communities and the overall value that comes with the public fishery. All this because optically it looks like they are doing something but in reality done politically just to appease certain groups.
Well said, Peahead!

Everybody has been calling for some action on Fisheries Issues and especially the South Coast Chinook closure. The only way the Public Fishery Alliance is going to gain traction and increased awareness is by people engaging. Don't sit back and say nothing is being done if you can't get involved to at least engage with a Facebook "Like" or a "Share" of a post or even a comment. Lots more coming from the Public Fishery Alliance, but we need the support of the Sport Fishing BC Forum members. Thanks!

Sorry, not a facebooker. I think you need to come up with other engagement tools to reach many.
We do have a website and are adding a Blog. Here's the website https://publicfisheryalliance.ca/ @chris73 this is all being done by volunteers fighting for continued access to the Public Fishery and stepping up with engagement to do this. Right now Facebook is one of the main platforms being used to drive this movement forward, but definitely you'll see more on the website in coming days. I encourage you to follow and get engaged! Thanks!

I will also add that you don't have to be on Facebook to open the links I share from Public Fishery Alliance. It will show the post, but not allow further or comments or interaction unless you join. At least that way you can view the info posted.

We do have a website and are adding a Blog. Here's the website https://publicfisheryalliance.ca/ @chris73 this is all being done by volunteers fighting for continued access to the Public Fishery and stepping up with engagement to do this. Right now Facebook is one of the main platforms being used to drive this movement forward, but definitely you'll see more on the website in coming days. I encourage you to follow and get engaged! Thanks!
I don't do facebook either so good to hear about website.

Back