Protest/Rally outside Vancouver DFO Office July 6th 12 to 1:30 PM

Expecting a good turnout tomorrow. Still hoping for a couple of people to bring boats down to the Rally?

Expecting a good turnout tomorrow. Still hoping for a couple of people to bring boats down to the Rally?
If they bring boats, nothing too fancy or that will be the facet the anti fishing groups will highlight. “Wealthy entitled fishers”, which many will not relate to. If you bring boats bring small tinny’s to show this impacts average people and could affect them!

If they bring boats, nothing too fancy or that will be the facet the anti fishing groups will highlight. “Wealthy entitled fishers”, which many will not relate to. If you bring boats bring small tinny’s to show this impacts average people and could affect them!
Stop making it so complicated! You're over analyzing things and our message last year was successful with the media. The message is we deserve access to hatchery chinook salmon and need a recovery plan. Bring a boat of any size if you can!

Wish I could be there, but can't make it so I donated and
I hope others that can't go will donate to help fund this.
This is the biggest threat to public fishing I have seen.

Stop making it so complicated! You're over analyzing things and our message last year was successful with the media. The message is we deserve access to hatchery chinook salmon and need a recovery plan. Bring a boat of any size if you can!
Ok you know best.

No he just knows what an impossible task it is to get recreational fishermen to do anything let alone try to micro manage details like who’s bringing what boat at what size.

I’m sure he welcomes the idea if your
Volunteering to make it happen.
I unfortunately don’t have a boat on the Mainland but am guessing you,Spring Velocity and him, will have yours there? If a simple suggestion is too radical a departure from the plan, you have my apologies. I was deferring to his leadership for this protest because he organized it, but that seems to have offended some of you so .....Good Luck.

Isn’t there any pushback from the Upper Fraser FN groups who rely on those salmon stocks that are intercepted by the Lower Fraser FN Gill nets?

good luck to those that have organized and those who attend. I can’t do it this year but was there last year and still think It was well worth the small effort. Do nothing and you’re part of the problem... very simple

I unfortunately don’t have a boat on the Mainland but am guessing you,Spring Velocity and him, will have yours there? If a simple suggestion is too radical a departure from the plan, you have my apologies. I was deferring to his leadership for this protest because he organized it, but that seems to have offended some of you so .....Good Luck.
Appreciate your concern and enthusiasm. The messaging has been well thought out and is presented in our press release. The biggest thing we need now is a good turnout! Hope to see you there!

Would attend if i was on the mainland. A gill net with a sign saying this is not conservation would be good.

I think this rally sounds great, however I also think that one of the primary objectives should be restoring recreational access to the abundant healthy stocks of fish in August. I believe that closing the Fraser mouth in August is the most egregious feature of the new regulations, and one which might be illegal. Could this point possibly still be made a talking point?

Looks like we're going to get a good media turn out. Let's get everyone to show up so we have a good crowd! Look forward to seeing many there today.

Emphasis on rec fishing/harvesting is NOT going to play well with the general public, who won’t bother reading the details of % incidence of encounter with those stocks in the myriad of locations up and down the coast. However, the rec sector has two “Slam Dunk” issues that we could/should be protested that would have general public support and would lead to better access in the future: 1) the lack of a meaningful recovery plan for these stocks and 2) the ongoing use of gill netting, which is an indiscriminate killer of not just these endangered stocks but also endangered stocks of coho, steelhead and sturgeon.

On the latter issue, no one in DFO, the government, FN or commercial sectors can pretend that gill net harvest is consistent with, or supportive of, conservation. While FSC harvest may be acceptable, depending on return #s, last time I checked it is 2020 and we have known for decades how destructive and non-selective gill net harvest is. There are also no shortage of alternatives: traps, fish wheels, dip net and beach seine to name a few that can be employed with minimal impact on non-harvest spp or individuals (say Chinook over 80cm). If our sector could make progress on this single issue, ie permanent removal of in-river gill netting (by any sector), it would have immediate benefits to escapement of all weakened stocks and thus the future of rec fishery access. There simply is no rationale for the on going use of gill nets in 2020, particularly in mixed-stock fisheries where weak and endangered stocks co-migrate with target stocks!

The first issue is a no-brainer, how can you shut down a sector under the theme of conservation on one hand but on the other have no real recovery plan and thus the destruction of freshwater habitat capacity and mismanagement of water resources continues? Even the uneducated general public can grasp that is a recipe for guaranteeing the loss of these spp and these fisheries.

Anyway, right now I feel the general public’s perception of our sector is that we want to keep killing endangered stocks (I know that’s not our message, but it’s what many are perceiving). Would be so much more powerful if we got behind a gill net ban and recovery plan and emphasized we want strong stocks that support fisheries (rather than ways to keep fishing on weak stocks)!

My two-cents.

Cheers!

Ukee

Back