Protest/Rally outside Vancouver DFO Office July 6th 12 to 1:30 PM

I have been invited on the Jill Bennett show on 980 CKNW today at 1:15 PM today July 1. I will be speaking about the DFO Chinook Closures and the upcoming Public Fishery Alliance Rally on July 6th.
Awesome break a leg!

Here is the official announcement. Please share wide and far and show up!

PUBLIC FISHERY ALLIANCE INFORMATION RALLY

This is a call to action! On Monday, July 6th from 12:00pm-1:30pm join us in a peaceful information rally at the downtown DFO office located at 401 Burrard Street in Vancouver.

We are rallying together because…

1. Closing the public chinook fishery is not a recovery plan!

If the Government of Canada and DFO were truly concerned about pacific wild salmon, DFO would have already implemented a detailed recovery plan for certain stocks of endangered Fraser River chinook salmon.

DFO has known of these stocks of concern for more than 15 years but have made little if any investment in their recovery, instead placing that burden on public fisheries. Restricting and closing public access to chinook is NOT a recovery plan.

2. All chinook currently raised in hatcheries MUST be adipose clipped!

At this time only 10% of hatchery chinook are marked (marked means anglers can identify hatchery fish because the adipose fin has been removed prior to release from the hatchery).

We are asking that all chinook currently raised in hatcheries be adipose clipped. The precedent for using adipose clipped salmon for part of a broad-based recovery plan has been established, as the public can currently retain adipose clipped coho salmon. This allows selective retention of hatchery coho while releasing wild fish to protect stocks of concern where necessary. This strategy should be applied to hatchery chinook salmon as well!

Adipose clipping hatchery reared chinook for retention allows significantly more wild chinook to return to their rivers to spawn because they can be released if encountered in the public fishery. This management approach can accelerate the recovery of chinook stocks of concern while sustaining important public fisheries up and down the coast of British Columbia.

Please join us in our rally to support a recovery plan for chinook stocks of concern and the mass marking of all chinook salmon!

Date: Monday, July 6th
Time: 12:00pm - 1:30pm

Location: 401 Burrard Street, Vancouver, BC (on the corner of Burrard and W Hastings)

PFA Information Rally Code of Conduct & Covid Protocol

· Participants will remain respectful of the general public as well as public/private property.

· Participants that display behaviour that is disruptive, inappropriate, hateful and/or disrespectful towards others will be warned. If behaviour continues they will be asked to leave by rally organizers.

· Participants should wear facemasks, carry hand sanitizer and be respectful of social distancing measures.

· Do not attend if you feel ill or have travelled outside of the country in the last 14 days.

· Participants to direct all media inquiries to rally organizers.

Attachments

• PUBLIC FISHERY ALLIANCE INFORMATION RALLY.pdf
    96.5 KB · Views: 8
Nice work Dave! Great job, we are all grateful for the work you're putting in.

One thing that comes up a lot in my circle and Jill brought it up in the interview, what do we say about the DFOs science? Is there a consensus as to what the science says? Are they lying when they say this is sound science they're following? Are we lying? You never really answered her question and unfortunately may have come across a little like you were avoiding it. Again you did a great job getting your talking points out in the limited time so good on you there.

One thing that comes up a lot in my circle and Jill brought it up in the interview, what do we say about the DFOs science? Is there a consensus as to what the science says? Are they lying when they say this is sound science they're following? Are we lying? You never really answered her question and unfortunately may have come across a little like you were avoiding it. Again you did a great job getting your talking points out in the limited time so good on you there.

The science is very complicated because DFO now says 1% is too much.

The science is very complicated because DFO now says 1% is too much.
I heard that, "1% is still a lot of fish!" :rolleyes:
Isn't 5% total that's the agreed upon number scientifically? I'd love to be able to produce the agreed upon science to my friends, where is that found? Is this not the first step to deciding who gets what?

It is tough in a short amount of time, but did my best to share as much information as possible and call out DFO for lack of recovery plan and senseless closures.

It is tough in a short amount of time, but did my best to share as much information as possible and call out DFO for lack of recovery plan and senseless closures.
For sure and you did a fantastic job. In regards to the question though, if you had more time, what's our response to DFOs insistence that THEIR science is sound?

For sure and you did a fantastic job. In regards to the question though, if you had more time, what's our response to DFOs insistence that THEIR science is sound?
DFO has ignored the science and data and chosen to make politically driven management decisions. They have no recovery plan other than closures which has proven to fail. Its all about Political Optics.

Lets all let them know we won't tolerate this type of decision making and get a great turn out for the Rally on Monday!

DFO has ignored the science and data and chosen to make politically driven management decisions. They have no recovery plan other than closures which has proven to fail. Its all about Political Optics.

Lets all let them know we won't tolerate this type of decision making and get a great turn out for the Rally on Monday!
So if DFOs science isn't sound is that not something a credible scientist could speak to? Would that not be a smoking gun in the publics eyes?

More DFO BS and reasons to Rally when you read this https://www.squamishchief.com/news/...rious-over-dfo-chinook-regulations-1.24163470

Comments like this one in the article from DFO just make me furious "
The DFO is also considering whether to expand the retention of hatchery-origin marked chinook and mass-marking of hatchery chinook production.

There are several issues that DFO says it is considering in making this decision.

Mass-marking of all hatchery fish would require Canada to significantly adapt fishery monitoring and stock assessment programs to maintain information on wild Chinook and support Pacific Salmon Treaty obligations, according to the statement sent to The Chief.

Marking significant numbers of hatchery-origin chinook would be expensive and in some areas would be logistically challenging, DFO says.

Producing additional hatchery-origin chinook to support fisheries must be carefully planned to ensure the carrying capacity of natural systems to support salmon and control potential competitive interactions between hatchery and wild salmon, the DFO says.

It also must be done in a way to ensure that the genetic diversity of wild origin salmon is maintained, and that marked fish do not adversely impact wild unmarked stocks of conservation concern."

As one friend said expensive compared to what? Shutting down the whole South Coast Chinook salmon sport fishery!

Last edited:
So if DFOs science isn't sound is that not something a credible scientist could speak to? Would that not be a smoking gun in the publics eyes?
I think that Sport Fish Advisory Board has done this using real data that has been collected by DFO. The Fisheries Minister Jordan and have her Department have chosen to ignore it!

So that's the point that I think should be driven home. Taxpayers money goes to collecting this data and it's being ignored! Are we as Canadiens going to stand for politics interfering with what the scientists are telling us is reasonable and factual?! What are we North Korea? Russia? Trumpistan? That's the message!!! If it's true...

So that's the point that I think should be driven home. Taxpayers money goes to collecting this data and it's being ignored! Are we as Canadiens going to stand for politics interfering with what the scientists are telling us is reasonable and factual?! What are we North Korea? Russia? Trumpistan? That's the message!!! If it's true...
Start making your signs for the Rally RC! We need to let the public hear this!

Back