Prop selection help - Etec G2 300 & 23.5 Hourston

Hannes

After the great help offered by this forum re: pod design, I've settled on power. It'll be a 300 etec g2 that we will hang over the winter (pod's almost complete). I've negotiated a SS prop of my choice into the deal and I realize it would be best to try a few but in this case that's not an option.

I've heard different advice on the prop and I'll probably go with what the dealer recommends but in order to avoid just getting whatever he's got sitting around collecting dust I'm hoping someone here will chime in with what they'd select.

Thanks!

Can you show pics of the boat and the pod design?

I'm pretty sure that BRP makes a 4-blade Renegade prop that is popular for getting good midrange economy while pushing heavy boats

Can you show pics of the boat and the pod design?

I'm pretty sure that BRP makes a 4-blade Renegade prop that is popular for getting good midrange economy while pushing heavy boats
Here's a picture of essentially the same boat with exactly the same pod as I'm having built:
794984ac71f1
20180717_220059_resized.jpg

Does anyone know the dry weight of the 23.5 Hourston? I don't have it here to tow to the scales and I've been curious for some time. My guess is ~4,500 lbs, but I could be wrong.

I believe the dry weight is on the hourston website.

I would ask @tains what prop he is running(pretty sure it’s a four blade). He has the same engine and a similar sized boat.

I believe the dry weight is on the hourston website.

I would ask @tains what prop he is running(pretty sure it’s a four blade). He has the same engine and a similar sized boat.
Thanks, I'll send him a message. I'm positive the dry weight on the website is incorrect as it states 6,000 for both the 23.5 and 26.

My 26 weighed 3900lbs on the Duncan scale. That was with no floor, no fuel tank and the rear bulkhead removed.

That's a lot less than I would have guessed. Thanks for the information, looks like there's no excuse to upgrade from the 1/2 ton for the 23.

That’s the boat only remember. The trailer I have weighs 2400lbs. 400L of fuel = 650 lbs. motor 600 lbs. plus all the coolers full of ice and gear add up fast. You could get up to 8-9000lbs no problem on a weekend trip.

My 23Ft Hourston W/flybridge on the trailer was 7500lbs stripped out with no motor/leg was 4850lbs. I'm guessing that the trailer weighs 2600lbs

That’s the boat only remember. The trailer I have weighs 2400lbs. 400L of fuel = 650 lbs. motor 600 lbs. plus all the coolers full of ice and gear add up fast. You could get up to 8-9000lbs no problem on a weekend trip.

Fortunately, I'm 1.2km from the boat launch, so even if I crack 8,000 pounds should be ok with our current truck.

Man, here's to hoping I get number's like this!
Screen%20Shot%202018-12-09%20at%201.31.50%20PM.png

Hannes, congratulations on the purchase of the E-TEC G2. They are amazing engines. My dealer recommended the 4 blade Cyclone. I liked it because it held the boat on plane at low RPM's.

The critical point with prop selection is that your engine will achieve it's max RPM range at WOT. If not, both performance and engine life can be compromised. With the 300HP E-TEC that's likely around 5850 RPM. Assuming the dealer is not only selling you the engine and doing the rigging/installation, why would he risk reputation by selling you "whatever he's got sitting around collecting dust". And if the prop installed by the dealer is the dealers recommended prop, you will know if it is the right prop on your first sea trial. The E-TEC can be run up to MAX RPM from day one.

The performance numbers on the Scout are likely based on the US Gallon. I'll bet you easily achieve those numbers. You will need to pick a calm day for that first trial!

The G2 is a great motor. I have a 200 hp on my 21' centre console and top speed with the RX4 (think it is an 18 pitch) was 51 mph with a full fuel tank and two people and some gear.

Back