Project boat

boatproject001.jpg
[/img]

boatproject002.jpg

boatproject003.jpg

Trying to turn this into an inexpensive fishing boat.

Looking forward to the "after" pictures.
Good lines on the hull.
Have a good summer.

How were the stringers and transom???? you have a ton of work to go yet.

Good luck Wolf

boatproject008.jpg

Pod under construction,about a week from completion. It's 6' wide by 27". I will install a bilge pump in the pod. As for the boats condition, the stringers looked good they were heavily wraped in fiberglass. The transom had some soft spots along the port side which I replaced, and I laminated an extra layer of ply over the entire transom.

pod looks good so far, but why put extra holes for eletrical and plumbing to put a bilge pump in?

I'd just put a metal inspection plate on top and a drain at the bottom.

what is that plywood pod rated for power wise?i`ve never seen an after market wood pod before. good luck . hope your boat is a fish catcher. scottyboy

[
boatproject009.jpg
[/img]

Well I made a little progress, got the old V8 out and put the boat on the trailer. Still hoping to mount the pod this weekend. Scraped the idea of a pump, if water gets in pumping it out is not the answer, finding the leak is.

WHY????? wood and fibeglass will rot!!! alumn wont and alot tougher than wood you got to remember you have a 500lb engine and kicker etc so lets say with pod 800 lbs min with a tremendous amount of tourque behind it hanging out the back end of a boat.

From what I see PP has done looks like a really good job, my only concern is I would put more braces on the pod end as you really only have 2 there from the pic just beef it up a bit over kill it make the thing almost bullet proof construction wise now that you have it all underconstruction and easy to get at the old saying bigger is better LOL

I also looked at how many nuts and bolts they put on my pod for you PP and it they are 1/2 bolts with big washers and there is 16 of them.

Good luck Wolf

If the pod has lots of glass on it, like 1/4" to 3/8", the wood just becomes a core. Hermco has been doing this kind of pod for years, they seem to work quite well. I don't thhink you can make a fiberglass podd rigid enough itself without some kind of support, but once you spend $700 in glass, resin, wood and time, a metal pod is a grand.

Thanks for posting this I love to look @ people's ideas and how they tackle challenges that come up, it's a good looking hull.

boatproject012.jpg

boatproject013.jpg

The pod is almost done. Just a lot more fiberglass. I like all the comments and discusion, its helping alot thanks to all. I was thinking of adding some stainless braces from the outside corners up to the top of the transom. I used 18 bolts to fasten to the transom. It's cost about $380.00 so far for the pod and it will probably take another $200 to complete. I did a rough calc. It displaces about 750lbs of water. Keep the comments coming.

You want at least 3/8th to 1/2 of glass on the pod, the wood should only be a form to make it, nothing more. A Big V-6 outboard can be murder, so you want the pod as strong as your average hull. You won't have any weight problems, your boat was made for an 1100 pound V-8 in the back, a 500-600 pound v-6 outboard won't weigh you down that bad at all.

Here is what my pod looked like I was told to follow the bottom of the boat (i dont know why specifically) maybe LC knows

thepod3.jpg

thepod1.jpg

Back