Pressure Canning - Why are there duds?

All of the canning tips I know have been covered by the posts above.
There is one more thing you can do.
After you have finished processing under pressure and have taken the jars out to cool listen for the snaps indicating that the lids are sealing.
After 10 - 15 minutes out of the canner all jars that are going to seal usually have.
Check the lids to see that they have all pulled down in a convex shape - also use the "tap test" on lids - if they sound hollow and give at the pressure of your finger they are probably not going to seal.
At this point re-tighten the seal rings and turn the jar upside on the counter (lid down) and leave overnight to cool.
You will be surprised how many dud jars like this end up sealing.

As stated always start with new snap lids, even at that boil the lids in water vinegar and leave them in the hot water only taking them out as you put them on, this will require a set of tongs. Keep a the pot with hot water and vinegar mixer and lids next to the jars. After the jars are filled and as you put the snap lids on wipe each jar rim with the hot water vinegar mixer this will remove any oils from the jar rim and ensure a tight seal. Do not fully tighten the lids until after they have cooled and sealed just prior to storage.

Good luck.
Hey ; my wife picked up one of these "Starfrit" magnets , thought it was goofy at first but works gr820201001_121323(0).jpg

Has anyone tried cheap aftermarket lids? My wife harvested almost 100 lbs tomatoes so tomato paste, sauce, bruschetta etc. Not as valuable as Salmon!

Has anyone tried cheap aftermarket lids? My wife harvested almost 100 lbs tomatoes so tomato paste, sauce, bruschetta etc. Not as valuable as Salmon!
"Tomatoageden" continues what a year!, definitely going to try those lids for preserves thanks for the heads up! Some smoked tomato's , gutted salted , 1hr smoke 6-7hrs drying ( in Bradley) air 20201016_133441.jpg 20201016_164919.jpg 20201017_110138.jpg 20201017_112406.jpg 20201017_112926.jpg tight jarred in olive oil + dried garlic petals

Back