Pressure Canning. How Long, What PSI?

Rain City

Crew Member
So I'm sitting on the couch waiting for my canner to de-pressurize. This is only the second time I've done this so I'm still googling a lot. I'm doing 16 250ml jars and running it at 11 PSI for 100 minutes. What do you guys do?

Last edited:
So I'm sitting on the couch waiting for my canner to de-pressurize. This is only the second time I've done this so I'm still googling a lot. I'm doing 16 250ml jars and running it at 11 PSI for 100 minutes. What do you guys do?
Rain City: The old recommendation was 10 lb. for 100 min. for near sea-level conditions, I used this for many years with no issues. I believe currently it is recommended to process at 15 lb. pressure for 90 min. for salmon. Try goggling the pressure canner's website and let us know.

...Rob

Rain City: The old recommendation was 10 lb. for 100 min. for near sea-level conditions, I used this for many years with no issues. I believe currently it is recommended to process at 15 lb. pressure for 90 min. for salmon. Try goggling the pressure canner's website and let us know.

...Rob
My canner's specs said 10-11 PSI for 100 minutes at Sea Level. It did warn about not ever going under 10 so I've been running it at 11 minimum swinging up towards 13 at times. As stupid as it sounds I'm looking to get it to a minimum to avoid drying it out as much as possible. Maybe it wouldn't change the result either way? One thing I did this time was leave the skin and bones on. Just cut steaks and rolled them up. The first time I used cleaned fillets and found it a touch dry.

ten lbs. pressure for 90 minutes. about 10 minutes or so to get up to pressure, after 7-10 minutes of heating with the valve open to start. and good to remember to keep the valve closed with jars until the pressure declines to zero.

Depends on the type of canner.

For sea level:

Weighted gauge pressure canner at 10 lbs is 100 minutes for 1/2 pint jars.

Dial gauge pressure canner at 11 lbs is 100 minutes for 1/2 pint jars.

Your pressure and time are fine. I used to "gauge watch" my canner sitting on a chair in the galley drinking beer. Switched out to a weighted gauge and can now enjoy my beer from the couch watching television.......

anyone have recipies or suggestions for pressure canning salmon? I'm hoping for some sockeyes and maybe a spring..

anyone have recipies or suggestions for pressure canning salmon? I'm hoping for some sockeyes and maybe a spring..

Depends on what you want to do with the salmon.

I have 2 different methods.

1) Salmon in the jar with a sprig of dill, a few drops of lemon juice and about 1/8 spoon of pickling salt. Pressure can and let cool.

2) Marinate the salmon for overnight in a mixture of brown sugar, soy sauce (watered down - about 2/3 water to 1/3 soy sauce. Otherwise the taste can overpower after canning). Molasses, non iodized sea salt, crushed peppercorn. After marinating, drain well, put into jars, pressure can then let cool.

Also, Google is your friend. Lots of recipes to choose from.

Dry rub stripped up salmon with equal parts kosher salt and brown sugar for a couple hours. Garlic or other seasoning can also be added to taste. Give a quick rinse and put on smoker rack and let form pellicle. Smoke for 1 hr and can as usual. A red pepper or two can be placed in the jars for a little wang if desired. I can sit and eat a whole pint myself as it is delicous.

There's lots of good information on this thread; also search this forum under "canning" and narrow the search to "Title Only". It covers all the topics you could be interested in and goes back many years.

more or less the same as mentioned above
We are only 30'ASL ..
with the gauge and 1/2 pint jars 12lbs for 100 min after venting
with the weighted one: 1/2 pint jars 15 lbs and 100min after venting ( i had too many bad seals at 10lbs) possibly a bad weight ?

recipes: cold smoked for an hr after light dry rub and sit for 4hrs ( rub simply 50/50 kosher and dem sugar with a healthy sprinkle of crushed dill seed) .packed with a tspoon of light olive oil.

raw and a heavy pinch of kosher , a sprig of dill and a tablespoon of regular white vinegar

My wife's mum did the same as amy raw one but added 1/2 doz caper and 1/2 dozen mustard seed , but only 1/2 tspoon of vinegar..

After canning up a mess of sockeye in 2014, I realized that it's far more economical to just buy the four packs of canned sockeye at costco.

Smoked sockeye, on the other hand, is a different story ;)

Its way more economical to buy your fish too so I think you are missing the point che . Fishing an enjoyable endeavor and when we are fortunate enough to catch, it is satisfying to utilize this catch and share with friends and family. I rather enjoy giving away home canned salmon caught and processed by me and I would like to think it is more appreciated than if I were handing out cans of store bought salmon. Plus mine is better!

My favorite is.....

Get my little chief fully smoking then put in the racks filled with salmon. Put the lid on upside down to allow some heat to escape but retain most of the smoke. Remove after 20 minutes of smoking and proceed to the canning stage.

This short time in the smoker will prevent an over cooked or dried out product while still infusing the salmon with a nice smoke flavour.

I just did a batch with a one hour cold smoke, the smoke flavor was perfect. I also added a half teaspoon of brown sugar to each jar. Not sure whether you guys can dial those Bradley's down to no heat or not.

I just did a batch with a one hour cold smoke, the smoke flavor was perfect. I also added a half teaspoon of brown sugar to each jar. Not sure whether you guys can dial those Bradley's down to no heat or not.
I use no heat on the bradley by using ducting for dryers , the smoke has time to cool down and i pick cooler mornings or nights .. temp never above 80 F

Back