preserving salmon roe

Deewar25

ok, so the kids of my friend love this stuff - in their rice, and will barely eat anything else. I think they are insane, but I offered if there was an easy way to preserve from my catch, I would for them. Any chance this is something joe blow can easily do? What steps do you take (would need to be frozen/preserved for a month+ kind of timeframe as they are in vancouver).

I have no friggin clue if this is even practical or if its just a commercial processing thing.

I'm crazy for Roe always make Salmon Caviar from river Chums (well OK WTH else are river Chums good for?) [:eek:)]

Salt is all you need to preserve Roe but depending on how much you use is only good for a few weeks IME.

Roe can easily be frozen that's what I'd do freeze the skeins whole and let them do what they will with the stuff, just wrap each Skein with saran wrap.

billreidsalmon.jpg

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Yikes! Better find some new friends with normal kids :D

1/2 japanese - its in their blood..lol The 5 year old would rather eat that then a peanut butter and jam sandwich!

So dog, you saying if you want to keep it fresh, just brine in salt and its good for 2 weeks, otherwise, just wrap it up and throw it in the freezer and its good indefinitely (ie, lasting as long as a frozen fillet say?) Can't hurt to vacuum seal it I assume???

Is there really a difference based on species (re chum)? Isn't it all just freaky liquid blasting balls of goo that don't taste like anything? I was only willing to try 1..lol

quote:Is there really a difference based on species (re chum)? Isn't it all just freaky liquid blasting balls of goo that don't taste like anything?
All species are different Chum having a smooth golden taste unlike anything else.

Spring is a little coarser not as rich but with a distinct almost nutty flavour.

Coho is like the fish somewhere in the middle of everything.

Pink eggs are quite small but surprisingly good.

Steelhead is so/so not my fave.

Never had Sockeye.

I can see Kids going for the oily richness can't eat all that much of it myself since it's so rich and my gall bladder lets me know when I've been eating too much rich food.

billreidsalmon.jpg

Back