Pre purchase inspection

Jencourt

Getting pre purchase inspection done.
The boat has been serviced from new at Advanced Marine in Campbell River. What is the general opinion on taking a boat for this kind of thing to the mechanic shop that the owner has been dealing with for years? The boat has the 4.3 with Volvo leg and Yamaha kicker. Is there another quality mechanic in Campbell River that I should look at instead of Advanced or am I worrying for nothing?
I would think that any shop regardless of relationship with current owner would give accurate findings and honest inspection results? Yes /No?
It is quite a game this buying of used boats! The longer I look and the more I try to educate myself the more confused and suspicious I become.
Thanks for any input.
Cheers

Advanced is a professional shop, they should be able to provide service records and you would think as customer paying for a service it wouldn't be biased. That said my motor was service there by the previose owner and I like the fact they know my boat. Another choice may be to contact Island fish lifter as he is a marine mechanic and is on this board.

Altech and Advanced marine are two separate companies. Another option is Ocean Pacific. They seem to have a good reputation. Advanced marine is overpriced and they make too many mistakes. I don't like having to deal with companies that make stupid mistakes! :mad:

Advanced Marine is #1 Reg and Todd are bar none the best Volvo and Merc guys on the Island. They work with Volvo directly on constant improvement of there engines and legs and spare no expense to purchase the latest and greatest equipment and are constantly training there employees. They are VERY honest and provide above and beyond customer service. They have a number of big accounts including most water taxi companies, Daigle Welding and Marine / Eagle Craft plus many guides and lodges due to there great work and impecable reputation.

Cheers Kevin

Altech and Advanced marine are two separate companies. Another option is Ocean Pacific. They seem to have a good reputation. Advanced marine is overpriced and they make too many mistakes. I don't like having to deal with companies that make stupid mistakes! :mad:

If you don't like 'stupid mistakes' then you sure don't want to deal with Altech Diesel ! (and no, not the same as Advanced which is on the same road, but opposite side of the River).

After they replaced the leg on my boat, they winterized the motor with a plumbers antifreeze. Only problem is that they pumped it into the cylinders and oil pan where it sat all winter and siezed the motor. For that they billed me $10,000 to replace the motor! Still fighting them over that screwup.

Back