Prawns for sale in cowichan bay????

Not sure what this is all about thought commercial prawners were closed. Found in Kijiji

Date Listed 16-Mar-13
Price $62.00
Address Cowichan Bay, BC V0R 1N0, Canada
View map

Selling off the Boat at Cowichan Bay Dock
Bring a Bucket/Basin/Cooler
Large $6. per lb. (Five lbs or more then pay $5 )
Mediums $2.50 per lb
Saturday & Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Parking is restricted on the Dock PARK on the road up above & walk down.
Visits: 5

If there not last year frozen then they are off an indian boat. Like the 10$ a sockeye you buy off the side of the road. or all the abalone you want if your up in prince rupert. Its great that they have there own laws.

Out in Saanich Inlet on Saturday and there was what looked to me to be a commercial rig. Stacks of traps on the boat, with 2-3 guys working the traps outside of Pat bay. Maybe First Nations. Maybe commercial boat being used as a sport fishing boat with sport licenses. Not sure if that is allowed...... Either way, not interested in buying any, I'll catch my own.

If they're fresh they definitely aren't commercially caught... That's too cheap to be commercial even if they're frozen though. Last season wasn't the greatest so prawns sold really fast and at a fairly high price.

Likely First Nations... Is it illegal?? If fresh then yes it is supposed to be illegal. FNs were given a bunch of commercial licenses and are supposed to sell those prawns only if they are caught within the commercial season. That's my understanding anyways.

Its none of the above .... Its a small shrimp drager selling side stripes ... the same boat every yr .... i was down there today

Back