Prawns Depths and Times

vanislehunter

Likely this is not a new topic, but one that hasn't been talked about specifically for at least a few years or at least that what the search function tells me.

I was wondering the full depth range that people have tried prawning and the success rates of each. I have tried various depths over the years and have varied success at each.

The deepest I have got prawns is 415 feet but i think there was only three in the trap. The shallowest I have got prawns is probably about 160 feet but I've only ever caught them at this depth on overnight sets. My go-to depths are from about 270-320 feet. I think I usually do better in the deeper end of that range but only if I set in the morning.

Do you guys have various favorite spots depending on the time of the day, or even the weather? I'm starting to find some trends but I don't get out enough to really put the science to it.

What's the deepest you've tried and whats the deepest you've been successful? I'm debating whether or not to try a 600 foot rope so I'm capable of fishing the 500 foot range. Would there be any advantage to try even deeper? I have enough ignorant friends that they won't know any better about pulling that much rope. I do have a puller so it's not that outlandish or cruel, right?

Cheers y'all!!

Ive got a spot 144ft that has prawns. Time of year doesnt seem to matter.

I was getting them in 120 feet in prince rupert harbour... 150' on the end of dundas island near prince rupert. haven't done alot of prawning yet though or found a honey hole yet. hopefully that'll change this summer coming up. tried a few different spots with a couple traps each in nootka sound this summer 250-275 feet average and didn't get one prawn.

I've found the 230-280 ft. depths seem to be the best in Saanich Inlet.Any shallower and you get less prawns and more
Coon Stripe Shrimp,and any deeper you start getting Squat Lobsters.The Coon Stripes are still good although quite a
bit smaller than a large Spot Prawn.

so if your getting squat lobsters, you should try abit shallower? I was getting a few squat lobsters in the 250- 275 range at nootka, and no shrimp in the pots..

That's what I've found in Saanich Inlet and surrounding area.Can't say I've prawned anywhere else,but was told once
by a commercial prawner that the squat lobsters prefer deeper depths and don't intermingle with prawns much,so as
soon as I see a few in the pot,I'll drop it shallower by 30-40 ft. and that seems to do the trick.

Normally we target 260 to 350 feet deep. Have heard from some commercial guys to put your pots out front of fresh water such as creeks and such but I have not really noticed any difference.

The spots we go to vary... 175-275 generally. We prawn at a few spots from Chemainus down to Mill Bay areas. After alot of trial and error, we've found the depth isn't as crutial as the bottom structure and food source areas. We've had traps with zip and those with 20-30 up to 50 feet away. 2-4 hour soak.

We have yet to come anywhere close to our limit and at times I think the limit is some cruel unrealistic joke lol! We go home with enough for a nice treat for dinner...

We've noticed boats hanging around our traps more often than not, had a few go missing. We stay and play in whatever area our traps are. No more overnight soaks for us....

Last edited by a moderator:
Shrimp are diurnal, driven by light to migrate up and down the hill. On overnight soaks you can do quite well in the 100-200' range as the little critters make the pilgrimage to the shallower water as daylight fades into night. As the sun rises they will travel back down the hill as the sun gets higher. On an overcast day I will even concentrate my efforts in the 240-260' range where I would normally fish 280-300' during a non overcast day. Always try a pot or 2 in the 150' range on an overnight soak and you should be rewarded.

Just back from a prawn trip. The spot/location is more imortant than the depth in most cases. Use the 300 ft. Line as a starting point. Can't go wrong. Sufficent weight is most important too.Good tips here on overnight soaks.

Off Cooper island we prawn the reef, usully where it drops down from 200's to the 300's the bigger the reef the better the prawning.

Best time to prawn is the month before the commercial guys start up.

Good thread. More real info on concepts of prawning than I've seen in any other discussion. It's a lot different here to my youth in Australia where we would get prawns on a new moon wading in thigh deep water using a dipnet with a coleman lamp on a piece of styro. Thanks to all who contributed, my results over the past few years make more sense now.

I'm trying prawning in Dec for the first time and the honey hole (around 300')seems to have dried up. From what I'm reading, they may be hanging shallower because of the reduced daylight hours and increased overcast. Or am I wrong and there is a definite migration and I should look elsewhere for winter prawning?

I'm trying prawning in Dec for the first time and the honey hole (around 300')seems to have dried up. From what I'm reading, they may be hanging shallower because of the reduced daylight hours and increased overcast. Or am I wrong and there is a definite migration and I should look elsewhere for winter prawning?
prospect. spread your traps around a larger grid and then close in on them when you start getting better numbers

Prawns are sensitive to dissolved oxygen levels, hence when you start getting more squat lobster, who are not as sensitive to lower dissolved oxygen levels your too deep. So if your fishing an area not prone to a fair bit of current it is possible to see an shift in the DO at various depths with the season and thus an avoidance migration of the prawns. Or so I read in a scientific study ....

Apparently 400’ is the magic number in my area. I tried everything over 200’ but the best i have done is at 270’ with overnight soaks. Prawning sucks.

Back