Prawning virgin

Zodiac fisher

Prawning newbie here. Been reading up on old posts and got all geared up, looking forward to getting out there asap. Looking for any comments/critisism/advice.

Gear: got 4 bauer traps (weighted with 5lbs lead zap strapped in each pot), 2x 450ft leaded line, 2x A1 scotchman (with my name/number), and 7lb lead line clips for approx 15 ft up from last pot. Prawn/crab pellets and Carlyle cat food for bait.

Been looking for spots on my navonics app, marked a bunch of spots to try 200-275 ft flat area at bottom of drop off. I'm aware of the sponge reef closures so obviously outside those.

Planning on dropping the 2 sets for 2hr soaks and running back and forth checking them along with crab traps and resetting or moving if nothing in them.

Also wondering what the "season" is? I've been reading up on regulations and am of the understanding that areas 28-1 and 28-2 closed Jan 1, 2018 for 3 months? Not sure about 2019? Assuming this happens again in 2020, the fishable season (in those areas, 29 still open) is April 1 to commercial opening, and then again once holes have recovered enough from the beating (i.e. Oct-Dec)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

Last edited:
Back