Prawning nanaimo-gabriola

Salty

I'm starting this thread to share prawning experiences including bait, depths, traps, pullers, and anything else prawn related to give some new ideas for the experienced and inexperienced alike. Please feel free to weigh in with any info your willing to share.

I'm relatively new to prawning but have learned a lot from forums like this and the good folks that post on them. From my limited experience, I've found that my favorite way to bait my traps is to crush up the prawn pellets and soak them in ace of baits prawn scent overnight, I then mix in a half can per bait cup of Carlyle just tuna cat food and put mixture in bait cups about 2/3s full. This lasts nicely for 2, 3hr sets. I've only ever used the ss round stacking traps, and they work well when your on the prawns. Best pull so far this summer was 120 prawns in 2 traps off gabriola in 330ft of water. I will also say to those of you with ace Brutus pullers, if you haven't yet purchased the bulldog accessory, get it! It has been the best $70 investment I could make. Makes pulling and nicely coiling the rope very close to hands free and makes it a no brainer to bring traps every trip. I'm interested in some feedback from guys that use the round and square traps on what you prefer and why.

Pawning

I'm relatively new to prawning but have learned a lot from forums like this and the good folks that post on them. From my limited experience, I've found that my favorite way to bait my traps is to crush up the prawn pellets and soak them in ace of baits prawn scent overnight, I then mix in a half can per bait cup of Carlyle just tuna cat food and put mixture in bait cups about 2/3s full. This lasts nicely for 2, 3hr sets. I've only ever used the ss round stacking traps, and they work well when your on the prawns. Best pull so far this summer was 120 prawns in 2 traps off gabriola in 330ft of water. I will also say to those of you with ace Brutus pullers, if you haven't yet purchased the bulldog accessory, get it! It has been the best $70 investment I could make. Makes pulling and nicely coiling the rope very close to hands free and makes it a no brainer to bring traps every trip. I'm interested in some feedback from guys that use the round and square traps on what you prefer and why.

Thanks for info. Have to get the bulldog accessory. I have been using the 24 inch square traps with four openings. Best day I ever had was 630 prawns over six hours. About 3 pulls. A guy told me a few years ago to use prawn pellets, prawn oil, cat food in a punctured can, and throw in a herring for bait. Said the herring gives off lots of oil and smell. I followed his idea and started doing way better with catching them.

One can of 70 cents carlyle per trap and 2 hour soak in a lucky spot has filled my traps with close to 200 per on a few occasions. Square is my preferred trap. This picture was taken in the saanich inlet recently. My other traps in an different location came up zip that day. Just gotta find them. I like to drop in my last productive area but save a string for new grounds for testing.

Attachments

• prawntrap.jpg
    prawntrap.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,068
I use the square traps also. Never used the round stacking type so can't compare. I agree with my limited years of hunting for prawns that location is the main ingredient.

One can of 70 cents carlyle per trap and 2 hour soak in a lucky spot has filled my traps with close to 200 per on a few occasions. Square is my preferred trap. This picture was taken in the saanich inlet recently. My other traps in an different location came up zip that day. Just gotta find them. I like to drop in my last productive area but save a string for new grounds for testing.
That's a nice haul there marula!Good to see It looks like the prawning has picked up since the commercial opening.I guess it's time to get another 1000-1500 for the freezer. Just used up my last 50 from April's load up.

ive used both prawn traps , box, ss round traps. they all catch alot of prawns but in my experience since im out almost every weekend that the only thing with the round commercial style pots is that there a bit lighter for a person pulling by hand with 2 traps on a line. but i sold all my box traps and am for sure getting more soon but the box traps do catch way more then my ladners

Has anybody actually done a test with both traps in the same area and same bait? If anyone that just has the box traps wants to trade a few box for rounds for a day and put them to the test pm me as I'm actually really interested to see the results.

i have a string with one new sporty round trap, and one new 24" bauer, just fixed boat today so i gotta get after em.. i know from what i have read the box type bauer trap is supposed to work the best, but am new to prawning so time will tell.

Ive done the test, the square ones are the best producers for me. Prawn pellets, soaked, and a punched tin of carlyle cat food..

soak the prawn pellets over nite mix it up with the just tuna for cats and add some herring oil to the mix to spice it up :), so i have been told..

Thanks for the tip High Five im sure i will better my best haul of 11 with these, didn't know about the seasoning thing..going to giver a go tomorrow weather permitting..:cool:

Took my kids prawning on Sunday. 400 prawns in just under 2 hour soak.
Found I was pretty much out of prawn bait just before we left so just cat food in the traps. Any white fish cat food will do.
Using catfood for short soaks and mixing cat food with prawn bait for long soaks makes a huge difference.

I use the round traps to save room in my 17ft boat. The ones in best shape with tightest mesh do perform best. Probably part of the reason the box traps work well. No saggy netting. I also use soft braided rope with about 30 ft of lead line at the bouy end to sink them. This rope rings itself out on the puller pully and falls neatly/ mostly dry into a stackable milk crate. I can stack 3 crates for rope and 6 traps on the deck of my 17ft boat and still get around them. Bouys are on carabiners so they snap on/ snap off.
I put no name on my scotsman floats and then attach a boat bumper with name on it with a carabiner to the big float. I have 2 boat bumpers with my name and 1 for each of my licensed kids. Any friends that come out regularly are asked to buy a boat bumper and put their name on it. Keeps it all legal like, quick to change and tidy.

Take note of "pulse opening/ closures" starting Sept. 3 in some areas.

Tips

I find anything with black plastic urethane stinks for a while, nets, flasher bag etc

ANyone know what the ones they sell at Sleggs are? They look like Bauers but no name.

where are you guys finding the carlyle catfood? I've looked around in the past but haven't been able to find the carlyle brand. is there a go to source for it?

yup share care in south Nanaimo also has it, it's distrubted my Richardsons food group in south Nanaimo in case you want a skidlot deal.:p

also can someone explain this soaking pellets over night thing, i have no clue how that works because i thought that when you put half a bait jar of pellets they expand and when they expand they give off sent, so i would of thought that soaking them over night would waste all the sent?

Back