Prawn trap and current - Ucluelet area

nez_fer

Hey all,
I'm new to the area and still a newbie at ocean fishing. I could use a few pointers on Prawning. I've dropped my trap a few times in Channels outside the Group Islands with success. Yesterday late afternoon I thought I would try a bit closer and dropped it in Felice Channel. This morning I couldn't find my trap. I don't like to think it was stolen, but I guess that might be a possibility or even run over. I'd like to think it was my ignorance of the current and maybe I might find it searching a bigger area.

A few questions.
- Is the current in Felice Channel strong enough to drag the trap away?
- Is there anyway to avoid the slime eels?
- How much weight should I be using on my trap?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I can't help you on the first question as I don't prawn over there but I am sure that there are some on this forum that do.

For the second question slime eels (Hag Fish) and muddy bottoms at 250-350 feet seem to go hand in hand. Hard to avoid them if you are going to fish those areas. My solution is to not disturb them while I try to release them with the trap still in the water. If they do "slime" them I use a spray bottle of white vinegar to cut the slime. Works great.

Third. How much weight. It depends on the type of trap (Commercial vs light steel or plastic). I have seen setups with a small anchor 10' below the bottom trap, traps with two 2lb balls in them and others like myself who use the heavier traps with no weight at all. Biggest thing is that you don't want your traps to move on the bottom. Prawns are skittish that way. I have fished besides guys with light traps and seemed to out produce them on many occasions. Just remember to have a float that will float your whole setup if you by chance drop it into too deep of water or it gets caught in a log boom and dragged into deeper water. Weigh you traps, extra weights and or anchor, any lead core line (poly doesn't count) and make sure that your Scotsman or whatever will float that amount.

Thanks for all the info. I spoke with a few locals and it seems its not only the big city with trap thieves. Won't be soaking them over night anymore.

Thanks for all the info. I spoke with a few locals and it seems its not only the big city with trap thieves. Won't be soaking them over night anymore.
I've always had better success doing a three to four hour soak. I rarely do an over night soak. I've also used Stink bait herring oil with my pellets ( I let them soak a day in advance) and avoid using canned cat food to cut down on the slime eels

Back