Prawn puller question

Anyone keep track of what the Ace puller max torque model pulls when you have 2 prawn traps and one weight in each trap attached to a 500ft of leaded rope? The manufacturer claims 140ft/Min but then puts in parenthesis based on hauling 1 trap. I assume it is likely 80ft/min or something like that as it does seem like an eternity when hauling in a set of 2 prawn traps down at 300ft.

Also, anyone know what the reduction gear ratio is that is used in the Ace motor?

Yes it did. Just looked up Electra-Dyne website wow price really went up.
Ace hauler pulled two traps each with 12 lb weight from 400’ with mild current took a good 15 min.

I'm half tempted to take the time to make a couple nice pullers to sell. I think the limitation is the 12v power source for anything with a good enough duty cycle, if ft/min is a concern. I doubt anyone would want to mess with 24v.

Ace hauler pulled two traps each with 12 lb weight from 400’ with mild current took a good 15 min.

That translates to under 30ft per min which is horrendous. I haven't kept track of the time for mine but I do know that it seems to take a long time especially if the current is moderate to strong as that noticeably slows down the unit. You sure your time it correct? A few sets at 15 mins each is a long time. I should put a timer on my next outting as I am now extremely curious. 30ft per min rate is 80% slower than they had advertised.

Yes I’m sure the timing is correct. That’s why I switched to the Electra dyne hauler.
Not denying that's what you may have experienced but that sounds like a faulty unit or install. I would say my 450' of line is up in no less than 3-4 minutes.

And I'm talking with full traps that weigh 30lbs each x2 plus rope weights and prawns and small mesh adding to the drag. No less than 75 lbs of gear.

30ft per minute is slower than hand hauling... With 10lbs of weight overall in 2 square traps my 600ft string doesn't take more than 5 minutes with the Ace. Hands free, crack a pop and babysit the line. Dedicated 40a circuit long enough run to be a spare for either side downrigger.

I use a scotty puller because it came with my last boat. I was looking into an ACE which a buddy had. It was nice and the hands free was neat but I keep my puller on my boat all the time as I drop crab traps off when I leave harbour. The scotty works well and is compact. Yes it does have its downsides such as short arm (which I plan to modify) and it doesn't give you much warning when it comes near the traps to the top but I can mitigate that with a mark on the my line.

When it is time to get a new puller I will look at the ace puller however it will be hard to beat the compactness of the scotty rigger.

Either that puller needs a new motor or you need a new watch. I've pulled 3 times this week with my 20 year old Ace. 500 ft of line in current and wind, two traps and 15lbs extra weight. About 5 minutes per pull.

To be honest, I doubt there is much difference across the 500 dollar range. It's a matter of preference.

Using the prawnstar was informative. With very heavy traps, there was zero dogging. But it wasnt the hands free version (that they also offer), which if not offered (it is an option) would turn me towards the Ace.

I like the Ace. It's an excellent puller. Wired the same as an Ace, the Prawnstar has more torque. Having said that, both are fully suited to the vast majority of prawn fishers needs, and are backed by excellent service.

But I will say the prawnstar wiring is better....

To be honest, I doubt there is much difference across the 500 dollar range. It's a matter of preference.

Using the prawnstar was informative. With very heavy traps, there was zero dogging. But it wasnt the hands free version (that they also offer), which if not offered (it is an option) would turn me towards the Ace.

I like the Ace. It's an excellent puller. Wired the same as an Ace, the Prawnstar has more torque. Having said that, both are fully suited to the vast majority of prawn fishers needs, and are backed by excellent service.

But I will say the prawnstar wiring is better....
Good to hear. I have a Prawnstar Hula (hands free) sitting at my moms house. Haven’t had a chance to install it yet as Moms hasn’t been down to see the grandkids since Covid.

Back