Prawn hauler blows up the fuse

capman

I’m fairly new to pawning and used my new Ace Lime Hauler only twice. Both times, half way through pulling the robe the fuse blows up. I have 2 batteries in the boat and both working fine powering all other devices.
I appreciate any feedback as what I’m doing wrong or what am I missing here so I don’t have to pull another 200’ of remaining line by hand.

what size wire and fuse? Scotty downriggers have a 30 amp fuse, but lots of guys up it to 40 amp when using the Ace Line Hauler. With that said, I've never blown a 30 amp fuse with 12 ga wire. I pull 450' of lead line with two weighted traps.

what size wire and fuse? Scotty downriggers have a 30 amp fuse, but lots of guys up it to 40 amp when using the Ace Line Hauler. With that said, I've never blown a 30 amp fuse with 12 ga wire. I pull 450' of lead line with two weighted traps.

Ya this...make sure you don't just run the ace hauler continuously, i run ours for about 50' then give it a 15 second break, seems to help anyway. Or upgrade to 40a fuse with appropriate sized wire.

Great feedbacks. I think I’m using a 30A fuse. Not sure what size wire I have so need to find out. Will try everything mentioned.

Thanks so much for quick responses. What an awesome community we have!

I have have the same problem blows a 40 amp 10 gauge 8 ft run from battery. I switched to a breaker style fuse so when it blows I wait a couple of minutes and it resets I’ve learned to live with it. I’m only pulling 2 traps 500 ft of rope and about 12 lb of weight

A good buddy set it up for me running the Ace max torque and haven't had one fuse blow all last winter 12-15lb per trap... 40 amp block fuse with that marine
white 10 gauge wire, with the fuse closer to the battery.. 500' non stop pulling sets ..

Max torque Ace is very slow with 12 gauge wire when i did a test on the rigger plug side

Last edited:
10 gauge marine cable and 40 amp thermal circuit breakers. The breakers have never blown, I don't have to carry spare fuses and I work the hell out of my ancient Ace.

40 amp wire is 8 guage, I'm about to start trapping and planning to upgrade
wiring for Ace Hauler. Not sure if I need 8 guage or 10 will due?

Beefed my line up to 40 amp and 10 guage wire after talking to Harbour Chandler.
Great people there, the guy said you need the upgrade. I'm glad I didn't find out on
the water like Capman. A heads up when I purchased the hauler would have been nice.
I was going out this morning after the fog but thank's to Capman's post I'm better prepared
for tomorrow.

You didn't need it.... but it's better than having to haul the trap by hand with a dead puller. I've never blown a fuse with 12 gauge wire and 30 amp fuse. I pull 450' of leaded line, two traps with chain as weights around the ring, and a 5-10 pound line weight. My 12 gauge is only about 5' from the battery though.

http://acelinehauler.com/frequently-asked-questions

Sounds like the ace hauler folks NEED some electrical education:

40 amp circuit require 4 AWG size wire to maintain a less than 3% voltage drop in the wire.
Web page says the strongest model draws 14-35 amps & will pull 110#. I am going to assume that the greater the weight, the greater the current draw by the puller.

I did get 8AWG wire to fit in the scotty plug but 4AWG - no way.

Power is measured in watts & can be calculated as voltage X current. In general if the power consuming device (the puller) receives a lower voltage because of excessive voltage drop in undersized wire, then the current drawn by the device will increase to keep the power consumption in watts equal, which is a bad thing.

If it were me, I'd use 8AWG wire, 40 amp breaker, keep the wire runs as short of possible & be mindful of the weight you are pulling.

Being mindfull of weight, I was thinking of using 10# ball from the bottom to
the Scottsman. I might try 5# and run a crab float before the Scottsman to
reduce pull from the surface.

http://acelinehauler.com/frequently-asked-questions

Sounds like the ace hauler folks NEED some electrical education:

40 amp circuit require 4 AWG size wire to maintain a less than 3% voltage drop in the wire.
Web page says the strongest model draws 14-35 amps & will pull 110#. I am going to assume that the greater the weight, the greater the current draw by the puller.

I did get 8AWG wire to fit in the scotty plug but 4AWG - no way.

Power is measured in watts & can be calculated as voltage X current. In general if the power consuming device (the puller) receives a lower voltage because of excessive voltage drop in undersized wire, then the current drawn by the device will increase to keep the power consumption in watts equal, which is a bad thing.

If it were me, I'd use 8AWG wire, 40 amp breaker, keep the wire runs as short of possible & be mindful of the weight you are pulling.

LOL! Using facts, logic and accurate engineering calculations will get you no where around here!

8 awg is pretty beefy wire. I mean the standard 20 amp breakers use 12 awg. So you're golden with the 8awg its a short distance.

I went out and soaked my first trap, just one to make sure everything
worked out. I left it for 3 hours and got a few. When I used the Ace Hauler it brought the lead core
rop up but the hollow rope sliped and needed my help to bring it in. Mabye being a new combo rope from
Pacific Net and Twine or new hauler made this happen. So I get back to the launch and put my boat on the trailer,
sinched up tight I got in the truck and moved up the launch. I moved about 20 feet up and heared a loud noise
behind me. I stoped and looked, my bow crank gave up and unreeled, leaving my boat 1/4 on the trailer and the back
in a foot of water. Great, Tide almost high but still coming in, I thought I must remove as much weight from the boat
and hope to recover it to the trailor. After removing most of the stuff, I went to the back to remove the kicker. All of a sudden
the truck moves backwards towards me, Quickly avoiding the boat, trailer, and truck I managed to get out of the way ending
neck deep in the chuck. The launch is steep and there was lots of seaweed on it and wet, the truck sat in spot for 10 min. before it moved so suddenly. The truck hooked up on a rock 1/2 flooded with sea water, leaving it a total write off, a electrical fire started
to add insult to injury. I'm safe and thats what matters.

I went out and soaked my first trap, just one to make sure everything
worked out. I left it for 3 hours and got a few. When I used the Ace Hauler it brought the lead core
rop up but the hollow rope sliped and needed my help to bring it in. Mabye being a new combo rope from
Pacific Net and Twine or new hauler made this happen. So I get back to the launch and put my boat on the trailer,
sinched up tight I got in the truck and moved up the launch. I moved about 20 feet up and heared a loud noise
behind me. I stoped and looked, my bow crank gave up and unreeled, leaving my boat 1/4 on the trailer and the back
in a foot of water. Great, Tide almost high but still coming in, I thought I must remove as much weight from the boat
and hope to recover it to the trailor. After removing most of the stuff, I went to the back to remove the kicker. All of a sudden
the truck moves backwards towards me, Quickly avoiding the boat, trailer, and truck I managed to get out of the way ending
neck deep in the chuck. The launch is steep and there was lots of seaweed on it and wet, the truck sat in spot for 10 min. before it moved so suddenly. The truck hooked up on a rock 1/2 flooded with sea water, leaving it a total write off, a electrical fire started
to add insult to injury. I'm safe and thats what matters.

Brutal! glad you’re ok. that’s what insurance is for. it will all get sorted out

Back