PowerPro Braid

Barnacle Bill

How long do you leave the braid on your down rigger?

How many of you reverse the braid to get another year or two?

This summer will be my third year, so am I pushing my luck
with 15 lb balls! 400' of 150 lb on one, and 400' of 200 lb
on the other. .......BB

Im 7-8 years on mine now and have no plans on replacing it.
Swapping end to end probably this year as the 150' I use the most is getting pretty furry.

4th year on mine and plenty of life left. I've never even had a knot give out.

I've have 6 years on mine and not showing any signs of wear. Probably get a couple more before I swap it end for end, but mine is also 175 lb Scotty braid, not power pro.

I run PPro 200-I am really hard on it as I fish deep and I chase the bottom. I usually reverse every 2 years and the 450ft on each rigger is done by year 4. I use 450 so I can take 10 or so feet off from time to time. I'm not convinced it's the best and I'm seriously thinking of giving scotty braid a chance on one side.

I run PPro 200-I am really hard on it as I fish deep and I chase the bottom. I usually reverse every 2 years and the 450ft on each rigger is done by year 4. I use 450 so I can take 10 or so feet off from time to time. I'm not convinced it's the best and I'm seriously thinking of giving scotty braid a chance on one side.

I used Scotty braid when I switched over from steel and it seems to be good. Diameter is heavier than PowerPro though, so I'd think more blow back with the Scotty braid.
Interested what you don`t like about PowerPro braid

I used Scotty braid when I switched over from steel and it seems to be good. Diameter is heavier than PowerPro though, so I'd think more blow back with the Scotty braid.
Interested what you don`t like about PowerPro braid
I admit to banging bottom-very hard sometimes but ironically that seldom causes a dropped ball- I have a fishing partner who is a little abrupt on the riggers and it will cause the power pro to break when he stops them a little abruptly. I have over the years had a few unexplained breaks which has left me a little dis-enchanted. It will fish for months at a time and then for little apparent reason-it will drop a ball. I personally think it is not that abrasion resistant
and I may accept a bit more blow-back to get more reliability

springfever what do you use between your braid and your cannonball if anything? ive always had rubber snubbers on mine and have never once had an unexplained break with power pro and like most of these guys ive had it on my riggers here for at least 3 years now. I don't do much bottom bouncing though, just the occasional tap. could also loosen the brake nut a c-hair to counter your buddy abruptly stopping the ball like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
springfever what do you use between your braid and your cannonball if anything? ive always had rubber snubbers on mine and have never once had an unexplained break with power pro and like most of these guys ive had it on my riggers here for at least 3 years now. I don't do much bottom bouncing though, just the occasional tap. could also loosen the brake nut a c-hair to counter your buddy abruptly stopping the ball like that.
I use gangion and a standard scotty snubber-it is just a little tighter than holding level-that is why I'm going to give scotty braid a try-I'm not into catastrophic losses or anything-just the odd annoying one that I can't explain and I don't believe should have happened

Back