powell river\desolation sound area

U

uhuge

We are planning a week long trip in mid August in the powell river/desolation sound area. We are gearing up to fish for anything. Salmon, halibut, rockfish, cod, shell fish....Any advice on where to go or what to use? Being the only one in our group with internet access, I have been placed incharge of information gathering.

THanks

Welcome to this neck of the woods. Crabbing is very good on the north side of Savary, west from the Gov't dock. The new regs if they go throuugh will close a large area at the entrance to Desolation for fishing by making a new Rockfish Conservation area. Prawning is very good at the entrance to Okeover. Grants reef and the backside of Harwood can be productive for salmon at that time of the year. When in Powell area call P.R.O. on channel 9 it is a local fishing store and they can give you an up to date fishing report. Let us know any other type of information you need.

Kisinana

Edited by - kisinana on 03/11/2006 23:39:01

Welcome to this neck of the woods. Crabbing is very good on the north side of Savary, west from the Gov't dock. The new regs if they go throuugh will close a large area at the entrance to Desolation for fishing by making a new Rockfish Conservation area. Prawning is very good at the entrance to Okeover. Grants reef and the backside of Harwood can be productive for salmon at that time of the year. When in Powell area call P.R.O. on channel 9 it is a local fishing store and they can give you an up to date fishing report. Let us know any other type of information you need.

Kisinana

Edited by - kisinana on 03/11/2006 23:39:01

thanks everyone. Any information about halibut in the area??

thanks everyone. Any information about halibut in the area??

You folks are a huge help. Any ideas on what to use for halibut, salmon, cod, anything?? Thanks again.

You folks are a huge help. Any ideas on what to use for halibut, salmon, cod, anything?? Thanks again.

Don't get too worried abot halibut - there are none in the area. Lings are protected as are rock cod. So you can pretty much rule out most bottom fishing.

Salmon - a variety of techniques are effective but the most common is downriggers with a flasher. Hoochies are very popular as are coyote spoons. Cop car, wonderbread are two very good ones. Hoochies range a lot, anything with blue or blue green with a white belly are effective. The black ones with a hint of pink at the side and a white belly is my personal favorite. Also an anchovie rig is a good bet.

If you plan around the right tides, prawning and crabbing can be awesome which will make up for the lack of bottom fishing opportunites.If interested, drop me an e-mail and I can tell you some specific hot spots for crab and prawns. Also both of the fishing stores in town (Marine Traders and Powell River Outdoors)are a good place to stop in for local info.

Cheers

Don't get too worried abot halibut - there are none in the area. Lings are protected as are rock cod. So you can pretty much rule out most bottom fishing.

Salmon - a variety of techniques are effective but the most common is downriggers with a flasher. Hoochies are very popular as are coyote spoons. Cop car, wonderbread are two very good ones. Hoochies range a lot, anything with blue or blue green with a white belly are effective. The black ones with a hint of pink at the side and a white belly is my personal favorite. Also an anchovie rig is a good bet.

If you plan around the right tides, prawning and crabbing can be awesome which will make up for the lack of bottom fishing opportunites.If interested, drop me an e-mail and I can tell you some specific hot spots for crab and prawns. Also both of the fishing stores in town (Marine Traders and Powell River Outdoors)are a good place to stop in for local info.

Cheers

Back