Powell River 2014

You don't need to go to the west coast when you have Grants in your back yard. Grants is the new black this year!

Just finished putting some of the catch in the smoker this morning. Got 3 the first night at dusk between Attwood and brettle point. The next morning the other boat got one in front of toba wilderness and all we could manage was undersize. Neither f us got anything the rest of that day. There was lots of talk on the radio coming from waddington but it sounded like lots of fish but nothing big. Pranwning was terrible. Good weekend though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grants inside edge yesterday morning, 8 springs 4 coho. Nothing big but released at least a dozen that were so close we didn't want to lift them.

Here's a question to think about. Tail like a spring, no spots, dull scales like a coho, upper white gum, lower black about 22 inches. We couldn't decide so we released it.
Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Grants this afternoon. Busy busy busy. Kept 3 springs and 4 coho. Three of the coho were hatchery. Caught the third spring jigging for ling. Tip....NEVER net a salmon that has a cod jig in it's mouth!!!!!!!!!!

How long will your area typically fish for? All I can think about is going back to grants.

It will fish all summer. Not at the current pace but that is to be expected. June is by far the best month with July a close second. Come August we have seen some big fish show up but the numbers are down a bit. The last couple years there have been fish to 50lbs caught. Come late August and we start fishing the river mouths rather than the reefs.

Van Anda for evening bite was really great. 3 fish mid teens in an hour. A buddy bonked a 26 in Van Anda. A 22 from Coho. My neighbour took down 2 tyee's from Grants tonight. 30 boats came in tonight at the same time and they all had fish. What a beauty night, these are my favourite nights to fish.

Was at Grants yesterday morning. Only managed my couple of coho for keepers. Lots of action and boated a fair amount of fish but all my springs were under 7lbs and released. Tried deep and tried shallow with no slabs to show.

I fished Grants Reef yesterday afternoon for the first time and had a great time. Lots of boats around. The weather was terrific and I managed to get half a dozen Coho to the boat on flasher and hootchies and also pulled 4 Chinook teeners on a plug. Lots of bait around. I only kept one 12 pound Chinook. This might be my go to spot from now on.

Thinking on making the trip over to Grants from Campbell River on Saturday, weather dependant. Sounds so hot....I just got to do it. I never fished there before so any tips are welcome..... Is it worth fishing anchovy or herring....are there as many dogfish there as there are in Campbell River. I would prefer to just go over and fish plugs spoons with no flashers! Any input is appreciated!

thanks

Thinking on making the trip over to Grants from Campbell River on Saturday, weather dependant. Sounds so hot....I just got to do it. I never fished there before so any tips are welcome..... Is it worth fishing anchovy or herring....are there as many dogfish there as there are in Campbell River. I would prefer to just go over and fish plugs spoons with no flashers! Any input is appreciated!

thanks

As I said in my post, it was my first time. I launched at Kitty Coleman and ran straight across. Took me 20-25 minutes.

I fished plugs and hootchies and no dogfish at all. Just watch your depth because it can get as shallow as 50 ft in spots.

Good luck.

Watch the weather closely..... Many guys have been caught by the weather running over including myself. Felt a breeze by the time we decided to pull and run half way across we were into 6+ foot waves.

For sure......thanks for the tip FA. I will keep a close eye on it for sure. Has anyone been having any luck prawning over that country this time of year or is it still recovering from the commercial season?

thanks

I have been fishing just plugs and have been doing great. Green and glow hoochies have been producing as well. If you start at the can buoy and fish contours and follow you depths. Fish the contours shallower or deeper depending on where the bait is. Once you find the bait stick to it. Watch you sounder when trolling NW of the buoy as it comes up really quick and you can loose gear.

Want a great example of weather change well over there. 3-5kts all afternoon pretty much.......now 17.5kts

It got me tonight showed up at 6 it was fine had to leave by 7 my 17ft was getting rocked. Managed one coho in that hour.

Back